• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Early National 2022 Signing Day Thread (15 December 2021)

It just occured to me. Bothof our lines coached by pacific islanders. Hopefully that means more big, strong, fast, athletic guys with hard to pronounce names.
We’ve been joking about this since he was hired. Everyone was positive this would be a big thing for you. I’m happy as well and agree.

We had 12 spots. We gave 3-4 to transfers. They do not count in the class. Hard to be highly ranked with 9 guys. Simple math excludes it.
I saw this posted somewhere else:

"We signed 13. Of all the power 5 programs that only signed 13 recruits on Feb 15 we were ranked dead last, finishing behind the Cal bears we didn’t finish ahead of any power 5 programs that signed 14 yet still finished behind 2 programs that signed 12. This class lacked not only in quantity but quality."

That said, I think there is some talent in this class and hopefully with the new staff on offense we will see better player development and retention. I'm really excited for Hausmann, Torres, and Hartzog (this kid could be the next De'Mornay Pierson-El). The portal additions, especially at QB and OL, will be what makes this class. Hopefully, this ship gets righted in 2022 because I'm excited to see what Joseph, Beckton, and Raiola could do with a winning record and a full year of recruiting.

Last edited:
When teams like Florida finish 50th in recruiting classes, people need to take their eyes off of Nebraska for a second and realize we had one of the youngest teams last year, 50 some odd freshmen, partially covid and partially flipping the roster.
While the other teams get younger, we get older, which is needed on this team

all the ranking hand wringing is mind numbing... like these numbers are exact down to 2 or three decimal places. I'm not mocking them, but seriously folks, they're not a bankable exact science.

Long, Reimer, Janovich, happen... a little wait & see attitude is in order.

Anyone have an idea how many signees and portal transfers will show up in Jan.? Getting the whole winter conditioning and spring ball gives those guys that do a much greater chance of contributing next year.

I'm listening to the Early Break-93.7 The Ticket, with Jake Sorensen and Steve Sipple. Sorensen seemed pretty down about the class ranking, but Sip brought up points that kind of make some sense. If we are only concerned about the ranking as it is currently measured, then we may be disappointed in years to come. However, if they start to measure the 'incoming' players to include portal talent, then you will likely see a ranking that feels more like what we've seen in the last few years.

It's also interesting to listen to Gabriel talking about the type of player we look at from the HS ranks. We could focus on guys who are more 'projects', using the portal for players that give us an immediate impact. They even mentioned Michigan State's 44th ranked class in 2020, even though they signed 22 commits. If you look at who really impacted that team this year, it was the portal transfer guys who pushed the needle for them. If we'd added those guys to that 44th ranking, I'm betting they would have been substantially higher. We need to think in terms of who we are actually bringing in, and not simply focus on a group of high schoolers, half of which could end up leaving because of the flexibility of the portal. I also think that's another reason we are focusing on many of the guys we are taking. They feel like they could be more patient, and aren't coming from distances that create the level of 'homesickness' we've seen recently.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back