• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

You also mentioned their good record. If you didn't mean that, then it was just a poorly worded sentence

Would playing an 11-2 team as opposed to a 4-8 team lead to a higher likelihood of losing? I listed reasons that Nebraska lost to Troy. Saying they had a three year run of 10-3, 11-2, and 10-3 shows that they weren’t an incapable football team. I could have typed this all out, but I was on my phone and hoping I didn’t need to expand.

click on their name and click ignore
Oh OK, I knew about ignore. I thought maybe blocking was another option in which neither of you can see the others posts. We really need that as an option.

Would playing an 11-2 team as opposed to a 4-8 team lead to a higher likelihood of losing? I listed reasons that Nebraska lost to Troy. Saying they had a three year run of 10-3, 11-2, and 10-3 shows that they weren’t an incapable football team. I could have typed this all out, but I was on my phone and hoping I didn’t need to expand.

Like I said, it was a poorly worded sentence as I wasn't the only one who read it that way. Thanks for explaining.

I get the confusion, but he's repeated more than once that he meant the situation each inherited, not just talent. I get what he's saying though I don't necessarily agree. I personally think Riley inherited the worst situation to succeed personally (poisoned wells aren't exactly a problem meant for a coach to diffuse where motivation/talent/development is).

I understand he’s talking about an overall situation. He says that the other circumstances trump the elite talent he inherited. I think the elite talent trumps the other circumstances. It’s a difference in opinion on which factor is more important.

Well those that know me know that the post was more tongue in cheek. I just get tired of it take time. As i pointed out in another thread when new coaches come in and the team blows people up. Look no further than OU defense Or look at the younger players wisc has a new O line with redshirt freshmen and redshirt Sophomores snd they are blowing people up. Is development that bad?

I wish it didn't take time, but it does. When you are talking about Wisconsin and OU playing RS sophs and freshman IMO their is a big difference. They are playing in systems that have been established for a long time. OU's system goes back to 1999 and Bob Stoops. Wisconsin goes all the way back to Alvarez and 1990. They have established norms and culture for years. We don't. Nebraska used to have that. That was lost when FS was fired in 2003. Players saw what was necessary to play at the level they were expected to play at from the upperclassmen. That is not present at Nebraska right now. It has to be built. Talent can overcome some of that, but not all of it.

Is the development that bad? I don't think their was a lot of physical development under MR. I don't think that was all MR fault I think he was being dictated to from above on a lot of things. I think it is getting better under Frost.

Frost made a big mistake talking up how good they were going to be. Maybe he really believed it, maybe he was hoping they would be that good, I don't know. I am not a Fleck fan, but I willgive him credit for expressing that it is a complete rebuild and we got to get better all the time. He is positive but not always talks about needing to improve.

I do know as Dr. Rob has said they are short on every down RB. Mills was suppose to be that guy, but he hasn't shown it yet. I don't think they trust him now. They are short on an outside deep passing threat. They are short on offensive line depth and experience. They are short on linebacker depth and quality.

Couple that with injuries at kicker. Which if Pickering is playing they probably don't lose to Colorado. They still don't look good doing it, but they probably win the game. Cade Warner being injured has hurt this team more than I think many realize.

Hey, you know what? Instead of throwing the "excuses" line around like you do in every other thread you hijack, why don't you tell us some legitimate ideas you have about how this thing could be better? Otherwise, your posts are just childish and maybe you should keep that crap in the Cafe.

Feel free to exit the wagon anytime.
Is Pops saying anything that isn't running rampant on this board for excuses. I understand why, we all want an explanation and hope for a quick fix and actually coaching is the last thing we want to admit that could be missing. I don't want that too be the issue either. Many are doing anything they can to shelter this staff from blame-that's cool but I would also venture to guess that this staff may have done some things differently if given the opportunity to get a re-do.

Is Pops saying anything that isn't running rampant on this board for excuses. I understand why, we all want an explanation and hope for a quick fix and actually coaching is the last thing we want to admit that could be missing. I don't want that too be the issue either. Many are doing anything they can to shelter this staff from blame-that's cool but I would also venture to guess that this staff may have done some things differently if given the opportunity to get a re-do.

No staff is infallible, including this one. There are a lot of things they've done wrong. But people get defensive when 19 games into their tenure, fans are already talking about firing people.

I wish it didn't take time, but it does. When you are talking about Wisconsin and OU playing RS sophs and freshman IMO their is a big difference. They are playing in systems that have been established for a long time. OU's system goes back to 1999 and Bob Stoops. Wisconsin goes all the way back to Alvarez and 1990. They have established norms and culture for years. We don't. Nebraska used to have that. That was lost when FS was fired in 2003. Players saw what was necessary to play at the level they were expected to play at from the upperclassmen. That is not present at Nebraska right now. It has to be built. Talent can overcome some of that, but not all of it.

Is the development that bad? I don't think their was a lot of physical development under MR. I don't think that was all MR fault I think he was being dictated to from above on a lot of things. I think it is getting better under Frost.

Frost made a big mistake talking up how good they were going to be. Maybe he really believed it, maybe he was hoping they would be that good, I don't know. I am not a Fleck fan, but I willgive him credit for expressing that it is a complete rebuild and we got to get better all the time. He is positive but not always talks about needing to improve.

I do know as Dr. Rob has said they are short on every down RB. Mills was suppose to be that guy, but he hasn't shown it yet. I don't think they trust him now. They are short on an outside deep passing threat. They are short on offensive line depth and experience. They are short on linebacker depth and quality.

Couple that with injuries at kicker. Which if Pickering is playing they probably don't lose to Colorado. They still don't look good doing it, but they probably win the game. Cade Warner being injured has hurt this team more than I think many realize.
I'm not disagreeing with you. But. A year a 1/2 into the new coaches and system you would think we would see the culture shaping up, you think we would see the system begin to at least work a little bit. It' has to be frustrating for the player like last week they are constantly out of position, is that on them or the coaches? Stopping the run last week. The same play ran over and over and still no adjustments to stop it. I get the mental aspect of the game but these kids were gamers coming in or they wouldn't have been recruited. When they are recruited is the mental stability also looked at. there are alot of questions I have in all of this. Maybe it will take 4-5 -6 years and I will look a fool (not new for me) But tell the fans that. Told tell the fans in the off season that we have a Lamborghini and then drive out into the stadium in a pinto. I think there is where the frustration sets in.

As Herb Brooks said

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Last edited:
You again went back to talent being the only factor for something which has been disproved time and time again by me in this thread. Completely leaving out anything coaching related. So it appears you are a moron and I don't need to waste more time on you.

Block list moved to 6 people.
That took you a lot longer than I thought, you must mellowing in your older age. ;)

might be time to 'cleanse' this thread.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back