• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does Taylor Martinez get his number and name in Memorial Stadium

Does #3 Taylor Martinez become a retired jersey

• Yes it does

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • No it doesn't

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Wait until after next year to decide

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The topic was "greatest player ever" it was most improved player. Two COMPLETELY different topics. Nice try. No one said he was among the greatest ever.

I'll make this easy for you since you apparently are struggling to stay on topic and to defend your statement.

Give me ONE Nebraska player from the past 20 years who has improved MORE year over year than Martinez has this year. ONE. Again, I know I'm probably asking for too much, but I'm sure you can do it.

...but I'm sure all I'll get is some irrelevant article about an unrelated topic...but for now, I'll keep the faith!

I see you let the point sail straight over your head once again. Many of the players on that list progressed from average players to the great players they became. That is called year over year improvement. Not many of them came into college as the greatest to play the game, they had to progress, sometimes significantly so, to be considered great.

You are just too blinded to see the truth for what it is. To anoint Tmart as THE most improved player over the last 20 years of CFB is just plain ignorant. Which isn't to say he HASN'T improved. He obviously has.

There you go, you are again thoroughly vanquished by the legendary RP and his irrefutable arguments. You now have a combined score of 0-6,342,739 in head to head matchups with me. Let's not turn this into a total embarrassment for you. Bow out gracefully. (Which you can't do, because I own you and you have to respond!)

I'm not sure you could make an exception for Martinez if Novak and Brown are the only exceptions. He'd need to lead NU to a couple Big 10 titles and a national title if he doesn't get an All American/Heisman/Obrien award/etc. Given next year's schedule that may not be too far fetched.

There woudn't be an exception...and AA is not enough.

Heisman, O'Brien, Unitas, Maxwell, Camp are his categories. http://espn.go.com/college-football/awards

Unitas (top SR QB) is probably most likely. What other top JR QB's are out there?

Last edited:
O'Brien, Unitas, Maxwell, Camp don't count. Tommie Frazier has one of those.

And Tommie Frazier's name SHOULD be up there. 2 MNC's? 4 Conference titles? MVP in 3 MNC games?

Last edited:
I'd have no problem with his jersey being retired...if everything works out he will have led us to two league championship games (potentially 3 if they go next year) and the stats don't lie.

And Tommie Frazier's name SHOULD be up there. 2 MNC's? 4 Conference titles? MVP in 3 MNC games?

Unless Martinez wins a Heisman, no way Martinez should get his name up there if Frazier didn't.

Unless Martinez wins a Heisman, no way Martinez should get his name up there if Frazier didn't.

+1 While I think Martinez has done some good things that merit debate, if Frazier isn't up there and Martinez doesn't win a NC or at least the heisman, how can you make the argument that he should be?

Like every good novel, a lot depends on the final chapter.

Fortunately, the bar is pretty high at DONU for such accolade.

Frazier's name IS up there. He won the Unitas. Otherwise, it wouldn't be. Brook Berringer got a statue, but he will most likely never have his number retired. I've briefly tried finding the N-Club criteria and what I find just says national award winners will have their numbers automatically retired.

Look at the list I posted. Camp, Maxwell, Unitas awards are on that list. Player of the year. MVP...yeah, they count.

now, you may be right on O'Brien. The list doesn't have Crouch's O'Brien award noted..he did win it in 2001. I was incorrect that we didn't have a winner of that award.

one we don't have is a Doak Walker. Let's hope Ameer gets one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back