• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does our defense stuggle next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's serious.

OSU wasn't good last year and Wisco isn't good this year. They look like bears on paper based on perception but it simply wasn't the case. PSU was in a shambles last year while pretty good this year. The non-con the last two years was weak with 7 out of 8 teams being bad. The division? Iowa and Minn are terrible. NW is mediocre both years. Mich was obviously good both years. MSU was terrible this year and good last year.

Everyone panicked last year when the "cross divisional" deal showed Wisco, PSU and OSU but it just didn't end up being the meat grinder that people feared.

According to the NCAA, we played the #9 schedule in 2011, and the #12 schedule to-date this year... still don't think that's tough?

According to the NCAA, we played the #9 schedule in 2011, and the #12 schedule to-date this year... still don't think that's tough?

As was mentioned in another thread...the NCAA only goes by win loss record. That is far from telling the whole story.

If a team played (in theory) 5 teams that were 10-0 and 5 teams that were 0-10 would that be a harder schedule than a team that played 10 5-5 teams? Not according to the NCAA.

Look at the teams NU played last year. The whole non-con was weak. OSU was weak. Iowa and Minnesota were weak. That's 7 weak teams right there. Wisco, Mich were obviously good. NW was mediocre. MSU had a great record but..well...I'll only call them good. If you want to call that MSU team great that's fine. Penn State had a good record but you obviously know the circumstance leading into that game and how they folded for the season at that point. It simply wasn't the gauntlet that it LOOKED like.

This year 3 of 4 teams in the OOC were bad. VERY bad. UCLA obviously turned out good. OSU flipped from bad to very good. Wisco flipped from good to poor. Michigan was good but not as good. MSU stunk. Iowa was terrible as was Minn. NW has a nice record but I wouldn't call them much more than pretty good. PSU was improved to the point of good.

Of course it's serious.

OSU wasn't good last year and Wisco isn't good this year. They look like bears on paper based on perception but it simply wasn't the case. PSU was in a shambles last year while pretty good this year. The non-con the last two years was weak with 7 out of 8 teams being bad. The division? Iowa and Minn are terrible. NW is mediocre both years. Mich was obviously good both years. MSU was terrible this year and good last year.

Everyone panicked last year when the "cross divisional" deal showed Wisco, PSU and OSU but it just didn't end up being the meat grinder that people feared.

Our SOS is #12 nationally right now. No cakewalk here. 90% of FBS had a weaker schedule.

Last edited:
I think like most years the defense will struggle a little to start the season and get stronger as time goes a long.

See previous post.
I tried, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The NCAA ratings are given from both last year and this year. After your analysis, give me a number or comparison with other teams so I at least have some idea where you would rate our schedule with respect to other teams. How do you expect anyone to try to make a point if you don't have one? ;)

I tried, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The NCAA ratings are given from both last year and this year. After your analysis, give me a number or comparison with other teams so I at least have some idea where you would rate our schedule with respect to other teams. How do you expect anyone to try to make a point if you don't have one? ;)

I think sagrin had NU's in the 30s. There are probably dozens of SOS "rankings". I'm simply saying a ranking based ONLY on opponents records is almost entirely a waste of time.

I think sagrin had NU's in the 30s. There are probably dozens of SOS "rankings". I'm simply saying a ranking based ONLY on opponents records is almost entirely a waste of time.

It doesnt matter if we have the hardest SOS, or the easiest, this year and last year was FAR from an easy schedule as youre making it out to be. Last year being more difficult than this year, but both are and were very tough schedules.

It doesnt matter if we have the hardest SOS, or the easiest, this year and last year was FAR from an easy schedule as youre making it out to be. Last year being more difficult than this year, but both are and were very tough schedules.

I'll give you that they weren't "easy" but they were far from "very tough".

I'd also argue this year was slightly tougher than last.

UCLA in the OOC makes this year's OOC tougher. I'd say OSU being what they are this year more than makes up for MSU and Wisco falling off....but I was never really a believer in MSU last year and found their pre-season rankings this year to be entirely laughable. NW a little better than they were last year and Mich being a little worse this year is a wash. PSU is better. Iowa/Minn...whatever.

The good news is next year has basically 10 cakewalks (if you're into cakewalks). There are three games standing between NU and a National Title game. UCLA, Michigan and the conf. title game...likely OSU. Hard to say what Michigan will look like with a new QB. UCLA...will Mora suffer a sophomore slump? At least NU will have more film to work with on that one. OSU-NU winner could end up in the title game.

OK, so only 75-80% of the teams had easier schedules. Point still remains...these two years NU had tough schedules regardless of your 'feelings', or how much you want to denigrate our competition or minimize the accomplishments of the team.

if you want to argue SOS measurement, contact the NCAA.

OK, so only 75-80% of the teams had easier schedules. Point still remains...these two years NU had tough schedules regardless of your 'feelings', or how much you want to denigrate our competition or minimize the accomplishments of the team.

if you want to argue SOS measurement, contact the NCAA.

The NCAA's SOS doesn't mean anything and does really play into any BCS rankings as far as I know...so there's no need for me to care. The fact is I THINK you know that not all 8-4 teams are the same.

I'm not trying to minimize NU's accomplishments...just stating my opinion on the schedule. It's not about "feelings". Tell me where I'm wrong if you think I am...and without using the NCAA's silly method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back