• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does our defense stuggle next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I wasnt aware they were trying to put ten lbs on him. My mistake. That's surprising, especially with all the injury time. You'd think the down time would have fattened him up.:)

I stand by original belief that the D Ends would be better served if they were in the mold of Fischer (just not Fischer himself, i guess). 6-4, a 4.5/4.6 40 and about 255 lbs seems about right. Fischer covers all of those criteria except weight.

On offense, we need to figure out who will play center (Pensick or Pelini). If we decide on Pensick, we'll need a couple of guards to move up into that rotation (Cotton, Nickens or Reeves). We are set at tackle. We need to restock at TE, which is why we need a JUCO. Jake Long is fine as a second TE.

On defense, looking at what we have returning at DT (Rome, Randle, Peat, K. Williams, Curry and Valentine) our coaches have decided we need JUCO help there. DE is thin with Ankrah, Moss, McMullen and Gregory. Will Ashburn and Vestal be able to provide depth there if one of the top four is injured? Will McMullen even stay at DE, or will he move inside?

At LB I think we are okay athletically, but will we have anyone at MLB who can get us lined up? If Fisher is back, I'm betting it'll be him. If not, can Roach handle that responsibility and play with the athleticism required?

Will one or two corners move to safety (Green, Jean-Baptiste?)? H. Jackson is fine there, but is Corey Cooper going to be ready to play the other safety spot? Otherwise we are fine at CB (Green, Mitchell, Jean-Baptiste, Jackson, Davie).

Will Bondi handle both the placekicking and punting or is there someone else in the wings ready to take over punting? Who will be the long-snapper?

Those are the questions, as I see them.
Agree with MLB position. Hopefully Roach has been preparing for it, or even Micheal Rose who I think will ultimately take over that position.

Don't forget about transfer Jonathon Rose at CB either. Coach P has stated if he was eligible, he would be starting for us right now. This should enable us to move on of our CB's to safety to provide depth, as well.

I suspect Bondi will take over both kicking duties, but I'm not sure about that. And Gabe Miller, the 1st or 2nd best long snapper recruit in the country will assume the position next year

Really? I wasnt aware they were trying to put ten lbs on him. My mistake. That's surprising, especially with all the injury time. You'd think the down time would have fattened him up.:)

I stand by original belief that the D Ends would be better served if they were in the mold of Fischer (just not Fischer himself, i guess). 6-4, a 4.5/4.6 40 and about 255 lbs seems about right. Fischer covers all of those criteria except weight.

Not trying to argue just was stating some stuff :) Since he has been here the coaches thought he was a little light for LB, as you can see with how skinny he looks out there. I will say this though, he has had some good games this last half of the season. I agree though D-Ends like Fisher would make us a lot faster and give us more "Martins" off the edge... Gregory will show you what you are looking for!

Not trying to argue just was stating some stuff :) Since he has been here the coaches thought he was a little light for LB, as you can see with how skinny he looks out there. I will say this though, he has had some good games this last half of the season. I agree though D-Ends like Fisher would make us a lot faster and give us more "Martins" off the edge... Gregory will show you what you are looking for!

Oh, I know. I'll defer to your knowledge. I don't post a lot, but follow the board enough to know that you know more 'inside' info about these guys than I do. Im thinking with big bodies (moss,valentine) in the middle... and speed on the edges (Gregory)- it could be a deadly combo for Bo's scheme.

Agree with MLB position. Hopefully Roach has been preparing for it, or even Micheal Rose who I think will ultimately take over that position.

Don't forget about transfer Jonathon Rose at CB either. Coach P has stated if he was eligible, he would be starting for us right now. This should enable us to move on of our CB's to safety to provide depth, as well.

I suspect Bondi will take over both kicking duties, but I'm not sure about that. And Gabe Miller, the 1st or 2nd best long snapper recruit in the country will assume the position next year

Yeah, I did forget about Rose. And I also forgot to mention Seisay. Who among our corners do you think can most easily move to safety?

Last edited:
The young LB corp (Brown, Afalva, Rose) we have coming in is going to be dynamite as our the young DTs.....and yes some learning curve without any doubt.....

We have one DT but if we get a JUCO we will be fine. OL is going to be a massive strength so that isn't a hole needing to be filled. DE we have Moss and McMullen waiting to go, Moss was so good we couldn't redshirt him and added the best JUCO DE in the country. LB we have some holes to fill for sure, we have talent waiting but inexperienced talent. Safety is my only real concern out of all you listed, but we have talent in the secondary, too many guys to be sitting at corner, this spring a couple will move up to safety. TE we are better off then people think next year ;)

Am not sure who the 1 DT is that we have that is without ?'s, and dont believe we would be after every juco DT that can walk, and another on crutches, if the coaches were as happy with them as you. Having bodies on the roster does not translate into positions being filled in my book.
Eric martin was the only guy on the team that Put any preasure on QB's, he is gone, moss burned a redshirt? Guess i dont recall him making many plays. Was he injured? Will he stay health? Regardless of talent level of the young guys on the dline, experience is shy. None of the guys we know, are game changers.

I will believe the oline is a strength when i see it. Guess we'll get an early look at jacksons replacement possibilities on saturday. Of course, that spot could be filled by a more talented player that is not contributing this year...

I think we agree on linebacker, this years group is pretty average, so matching its production shouldnt be to difficult and i expect we will be improved as a whole, but compton's experience will be missed. Would expect to see little more of what we got from santos and whaley...big plays and mistakes from the youngsters and step slow from the returning vets..

I think we will be ok at safety, weather thats from position changes or jackson and cooper stepping up is yet to be determind. Coaches have some proven plays in the secondary/corner to work with.
TE has not proven to be vital position for beck. FB, OT, WR can all be deployed to replace what we have been getting out of the position. If sandland (our someone else) becomes a playmaker perhaps it becomes a bigger part of offense...

All in all i think we develop some new strengths and some new weeknesses. Injuries, underachievers and over achievers will all mold next years team. Throw in a weaker schedule and we should again make a run at the B1G. But the talent level needs to improve for amything more..

Yeah, I did forget about Rose. And I also forgot to mention Seisay. Who among our corners do you think can most easily move to safety?

It's really difficult to say. The coaches have been pretty vehement about Jon Rose staying at corner. J Mitchell is too small to play safety. So that leaves SJB, Green, Seisay as potential candidates. Seisay is the lowest on the depth chart out of everyone mentioned (I don't think it is a talent issue) and is a really big kid, I could seem him fulfilling Stafford's role.

With next season's schedule the defense will have plenty of time to get on track. After UCLA there isn't another serious test until Michigan in November...and without Robinson I'm not sure they are nearly as scary as they are with him. Man...just looked at that schedule again and it's quite boring.

With next season's schedule the defense will have plenty of time to get on track. After UCLA there isn't another serious test until Michigan in November...and without Robinson I'm not sure they are nearly as scary as they are with him. Man...just looked at that schedule again and it's quite boring.

it'll be quite exciting if we are undefeated going into November, however.

the past two years gave us 'exciting' schedules. Yeah, I'm fine with being through with that for a couple years.

I totally disagree. Wistrom came to Nebraska at 220-225 and played at 255. Fischer could have played at that weight if the coaches made the decision his RSfros/soph year.

I think you missed the part that said hes been trying to put weight on and cant. Thats the issue, IF he could have been able to put the weight on, he more than likely would have been a DE and probably a pretty good one.

No way this is a serious comment.

Of course it's serious.

OSU wasn't good last year and Wisco isn't good this year. They look like bears on paper based on perception but it simply wasn't the case. PSU was in a shambles last year while pretty good this year. The non-con the last two years was weak with 7 out of 8 teams being bad. The division? Iowa and Minn are terrible. NW is mediocre both years. Mich was obviously good both years. MSU was terrible this year and good last year.

Everyone panicked last year when the "cross divisional" deal showed Wisco, PSU and OSU but it just didn't end up being the meat grinder that people feared.

Last edited:

Bondi will both kick and punt. He has a big leg but is supposedly a little slow on the release when punting, I am sure they are working on it. He hits a driving spiral on most kicks which we have seen how important that is into the teeth of wind. He will put most KOs about 5 yards deep. I do not think he will have Maher or Alex's accuracy from 40+ but we have been spoiled for 5 years now...

Rose is an immediate starter at corner and will be an all B1G player. NFL prospect and a hard worker. Siesay could easily move to safety, put another 15-20lbs on his 6'2 frame.

I think if we can find a leader at the Mike we will be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back