• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does our defense stuggle next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robroyred

Recruit
10 Year Member
I really like some of the young players that we'll see alot more of next year, but I have concerns that it may take them a season to gel together. Our defense this year often seemed confused, out-of-position, and slow, way too often for the first half of the season. Then mid-season they finally seemed to get it and started playing excellent black-shirt D. It turned out they didnt look near as slow when they started understanding their assignments and were getting to the right spot at the right time.
What concerns me is that this is a defense with 8 senior starters. Why did it take them half a season to start playing well together? If it's the complexity of Pelini's defense, it would be reasonable to assume that the young team that we'll have out there next year might take an entire season, or longer, to start getting it. Or did having Papachuis as a new D coordinator contribute to how long it took this years D to put things together?
Thoughts anyone?

I think Bo thought the players grasped his system more than they actually did in the beginning of the year. After the Ohio State game, he realized that they were thinking too much and decided to simplify it and play fast. Next year, he knows he has to replace 8 senior starters... so, for the most part, I expect him to keep it simple and let them play fast.

Also, we are replacing the seniors with more athletic players IMO. Our linebackers should play faster, and will certainly play better in 'space.' The DL should also be upgraded IMO, because them's some BIG BOYS. i expect our run D to improve as a result. DB's- not a concern whatsoever :cool:

I think we'll be faster next year, but I don't agree that we'll be better on the line. Eric Martin is our only real threat to rush the passer and he will be gone. I think we'll be better in the back 7, but I do think the defense will benefit from the easy early schedule. UCLA will be tough, but we don't see the Michigan schools until the late part of our conference slate. Hopefully we have the same kind of in season improvement and have hit our stride by then. The offense is going to be fantastic next year, so if we get solid defensive play it could be a very special season.

Martin is a STUD! He will be sorely missed. That said, I hope the coaches see the value of speed on the bookends... and go with a strategy more like Charlies. Fischer should have been a converted DEnd (had all the specs of a Grant Wistrom).

There's always talk of players waiting in the wing, coming off redshirts, transfers who might impact. Bo has been pretty conservative with the younger players and I think on D that may pay off. If team speed clicks up on the front 7 things could be exciting. We always seem to get the D-backs lined out as the season runs along and I know we have some guys coming up who should step in and continue the tradition. The O will be interesting. We'll miss Rex, but we survived without him (we saw what a special player he was yesterday) and with AA, Heard, Cross we'll be fine at RB. If TM can take that next step, become the senior leader...its going to be fun to watch.

DBs will be dominant. The LBs will be more athletic, but they'll be green. To me though it all depends on the DL play. We have young guys who will step up, and hopefully a couple JUCO DL recruits to vie for immediate playing time.

Martin is a STUD! He will be sorely missed. That said, I hope the coaches see the value of speed on the bookends... and go with a strategy more like Charlies. Fischer should have been a converted DEnd (had all the specs of a Grant Wistrom).
He may be back next year.:Biggrin:

I think we'll be about as good. May get off to a slow start again as the new players learn their assignments and develop trust with one another. I do think Pelini and Papuchis simplified some things, and that will carry over to next year. Also have some more LBs coming up, and that should help. Some of our effectiveness depends on who we can get from the JUCOs for DT, as we know that is a big target area for recruiting.

One more thing, Papuchis will be in his second year as coordinator. He will certainly be improved, and that should help everything move more crisply and adjustments should be smoother and quicker. And of course a second year completed in the Big Ten should have the coaches more comfortable with our opponants. Just my opinion.

we get two new conference opponents next year but I don't think they are world beaters. UCLA will give us a good status check.

Our D could be very good if we get 2 DT JUCO's. Without we will be about the same as this year. (DB will be strength)

I think anyone who says they are certain, or has a strong idea one way or another has not considered the long term inconsistency of these squads. I think there are some questions at all levels of the D.

Starting at the line.

We're losing Martin, Ankrah, Meredith, Steinkuhler, Carter and Randle right? I like Avery Moss, we've got Aaron Curry, Chase Rome, Todd Peat and Vince Valentine coming up. I think all of these guys have the potential to be the real deal, but there is no real game experience there, and we need these guys to play well. I expect inconsistency, and flashes of greatness.

Linebackers:
We're losing Compton and Whaley for sure, we may return Fisher. Coming back, we've got Santos and Zaire Andersen who should have a solid grasp of the D. Rose and Thomas are supposedly gamers on the scout team, and I really like the fact that Courtney Love will be there for spring ball. E big question is, who is going to get us lined up? Compton is a solid linebacker who's been even more valuable for his brain. Here's hoping that Fisher sticks around for 1 more year and creates an experience group of linebackers to anchor the defense. I think I'd be super excited about the linebackers if I knew he was returning, imagine Fisher, Santos and Andersen being on the field most of the time.

DBs:

I think we are solid at corner and even better at the nickel and dime spots. The big question is, who's going to come in and make up for what we're losing in Smith and Stafford? Will Jackson and Cooper be ready? Should we think about moving another few guys into that position room to bolster depth? I personally think, that as good as he is as a corner, I think Jean-Baptiste would be even better as a safety. Also, I think that we ought to look at putting Brion Carnes back there (don't you guys wish we would have offered Kain Colter instead of him?). In some ways, I'm just confident in the progress of the DBs because I think we've got good athletes coming up, and I think Terry Joseph might be one of the best DB coaches in the country, we should pay him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back