• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

Remember it? I participated as one of the 500 or so fans in Yankee Stadium for the Gotham Bowl against Miami, a game that is seldom replayed anywhere but remains an extraordinarily exciting game to this day. I was practicing law on Wall Street at the time.

I also remember the earlier season (1955 or so)season when we ended up playing Duke in one of the bowl games, were heavily favored I think, and got creamed,. One of my friends was a stellar performer on that team and filled me in on just why the team was not playing well that day. some lack of parental control is the best way to put it.

But let's ask the real question. How many of you listened to the Rose Bowl game with me that we played against Stanford and their newly developed T formation attach in 1940? Were you as disappointed as I when we lost? How many had an uncle who won a drawing at his local grocery store and got free transportation room and ticket to the game? I did.

That was just about the end of the good teams at NU until Devaney came along. Until then we had consistently been a national powerhouse although never voted number one.
Great to hear from one of the old timers. I was a little younger graduating in 60. I played a couple years for Al Zikmund, one of the stars on the Rose Bowl team.

I remember being so proud of the Gotham bowl team. That game was on late for us CST fans. Hope we go through another waking up period for NU football.

If you take out those other 16 teams still ahead of us, we were #1 in 1941!

Seriously, it was a different time. Why would you take those teams out?
Your first sentence is just stupid.
We can take them out of the previous lists because those teams are not included in the current list (through 2017). Look at the bottom of the page.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...art=1869&end=2017&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Wins
Just trying to compare apples to apples as far as it is possible to do with college football teams. Are you really comparing Nebraska football to Princeton football?

In 1940 I would.
Fair enough. But when we compare our wins as of 1941 to our peers today, there were only 5 programs with more wins at that time (Michigan, Notre Dame, Navy, Minnesota and Vanderbilt). The point being that we had quite a bit of success in our first 50 years of football. That was really the only point I was trying to make.

So basically....50 years very good....20 years bad....40 years outstanding....16 years mediocre....and then????????

So basically....50 years very good....20 years bad....40 years outstanding....16 years mediocre....and then????????
We'll be outstanding for the rest of my days on this big blue ball!

Which one were you?
1512135590-0.jpg
Richard Dreyfuss, of course!

We were lousy during the years that I became a fan, namely the 40s and the 50s . Those who became fans in the 60s, 70s, and later just will never understand a 36,000 seat Memorial Stadium never filled for football Saturdays. I could always beg a ticket if I didn't pay my quarter and go in the knothole section. Even OU/ NU games weren't sold out for anyone that wanted to wait until just before kickoff. One year the star attraction was our punter because he was in the race for the country's best punter. His punts were the high points of the game.

That's why I always kind of smile when I read on the board that someone has lived his whole life waiting for NU to be as good as they were when he started watching football in the 90s.

Incidentally, if I'm not wrong I believe Al Zickmun was my dad's favorite player on that team. Later on I was coached by Eddie Scwartzkopf who said he played in the 40 Rose Bowl as a guard at 145 pounds.

Thanks, lots of good stuff on Stassen. I've never done a search through the early years (before 1970) on where we stood on wins. I'm guessing in 1961 many in the top 20 were still Ivy league teams.

At this point no one may ever catch Michigan. Who knows, if it wasn't for Perlman, Pedersen, & Callahan, we might be #2 on the list now.

Edit: DOH! I meant to edit my earlier post.. but replied to myself instead!

Last edited:
I think we will be outstanding as long as Scott Frost wants to continue to be our head coach. Are you planning on dying young? ;)
No, I'm counting on Frost sticking around for a long time!

I was a Sophomore in 62. I remember not going to any games in 61 because of not being interested. Even though we had our tickets included in the tuition. I remember little interest before season in 62 but I also remember my buddy telling me after the Michigan game that we had to go to the games. It was crowded ever since. I remember being at the Missouri game when we lost but started our sell out. I don't think the public was any where near as pumped up ahead of time for Devaney as we are for Frost. It all fired off after the early wins.

But let's ask the real question. How many of you listened to the Rose Bowl game with me that we played against Stanford and their newly developed T formation attach in 1940? Were you as disappointed as I when we lost? How many had an uncle who won a drawing at his local grocery store and got free transportation room and ticket to the game? I did.

That was just about the end of the good teams at NU until Devaney came along. Until then we had consistently been a national powerhouse although never voted number one.
My Dad was a student manager on the Rose Bowl team, so he was at the game in Pasadena. He had tried out for the team, but he got knocked out on the first day of practice and decided it was time to retire as a football player. ;)

My family has had season tickets since the stadium was built, so they all suffered through the 40's and 50's until Devaney arrived. My Dad loved Bob Devaney, as did probably everyone who had witnessed the preceding two decades of generally awful football. I am sure he would be very excited about the upcoming Scott Frost era if he was here to witness it.

I was 6, but I do remember Denny Claridge QB, and recall names like Faiman, Kent McCloughan, Bill Thornton, etc. I recall listening on the radio, then after the game going out in the yard and being Claridge throwing TD passes. I think Monte Kiffin may have been on that team too. Thanks for the memories!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back