• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Anybody Remember 1962?

I was 9 years old but remember the excitement of the first game. We were on a trip from Kearney visiting Boys Town and had our little radios to listen to the game. Boy we really smoked South Dakota and the optimism for the rest of the season was very high. Wasn't much national media attention until we beat Michigan in the big house.

sshhh... Don't jinx us!

I remember it about as well as any 8 year old remembers something 55 years later. We had just moved into a building that my father had bought and he opened a barber shop on the lower level. Sometimes I would hang out in the back listening to discussions he would have with customers. I remember they all seemed excited about the new coach and would relay stories they'd heard about Devaney. I still remember them talking about what a tough guy he was...that he'd been a boxer, and a steel worker, and that he spent a night in jail with some of his players...stuff like that.

I also remember listening to every game and the feeling of excitement everyone seemed to have as Devaney started winning big right away. And, I remember how proud everyone seemed to be that we were going to a bowl game...which, by the way, was a terrific game played in front of virtually no one in a bitterly cold Yankee Stadium. We played Miami and won, they had a terrific QB named George Mira. I vaguely remember talk after the game about how Devaney held the team airplane from departing for NY until the "check had cleared" from the Gotham Bowl. I was too young to know about how we were perceived "nationally" but I can tell you that folks in Omaha were very excited and it just got better and better.

Last edited:

I remember it about as well as any 8 year old remembers something 55 years ago. We had just moved into a building that my father had bought and he opened a barber shop on the lower level. Sometimes I would hang out in the back listening to discussions he would have with customers. I remember they all seemed excited about the new coach and would relay stories they'd heard about Devaney. I still remember them talking about what a tough guy he was...that he'd been a boxer, and a steel worker, and that he spent a night in jail with some of his players...stuff like that.

I also remember listening to every game and the feeling of excitement everyone seemed to have as Devaney started winning big right away. And, I remember how proud everyone seemed to be that we were going to a bowl game...which, by the way, was a terrific game played in front of virtually no one in a bitterly cold Yankee Stadium. We played Miami and won, they had a terrific QB named George Mira. I vaguely remember talk after the game about how Devaney held the team airplane from departing until the "check had cleared" from the Gotham Bowl. I was too young to know about how we were perceived "nationally" but I can tell you that folks in Omaha were very excited and it just got better and better.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I was in 2nd grade. I remember the season, but there wasn't nearly the hype or constant news and publicity leading up to the season. Times have changed a lot as far as pre-season information is concerned.

Only 8 I am afraid. Can vaguely remember starting to listen to games on the radio and learning who I did not like. i.e., MO, CO, OK.

Remember it? I participated as one of the 500 or so fans in Yankee Stadium for the Gotham Bowl against Miami, a game that is seldom replayed anywhere but remains an extraordinarily exciting game to this day. I was practicing law on Wall Street at the time.

I also remember the earlier season (1955 or so)season when we ended up playing Duke in one of the bowl games, were heavily favored I think, and got creamed,. One of my friends was a stellar performer on that team and filled me in on just why the team was not playing well that day. some lack of parental control is the best way to put it.

But let's ask the real question. How many of you listened to the Rose Bowl game with me that we played against Stanford and their newly developed T formation attach in 1940? Were you as disappointed as I when we lost? How many had an uncle who won a drawing at his local grocery store and got free transportation room and ticket to the game? I did.

That was just about the end of the good teams at NU until Devaney came along. Until then we had consistently been a national powerhouse although never voted number one.

I remember it about as well as any 8 year old remembers something 55 years later. We had just moved into a building that my father had bought and he opened a barber shop on the lower level. Sometimes I would hang out in the back listening to discussions he would have with customers. I remember they all seemed excited about the new coach and would relay stories they'd heard about Devaney. I still remember them talking about what a tough guy he was...that he'd been a boxer, and a steel worker, and that he spent a night in jail with some of his players...stuff like that.

I also remember listening to every game and the feeling of excitement everyone seemed to have as Devaney started winning big right away. And, I remember how proud everyone seemed to be that we were going to a bowl game...which, by the way, was a terrific game played in front of virtually no one in a bitterly cold Yankee Stadium. We played Miami and won, they had a terrific QB named George Mira. I vaguely remember talk after the game about how Devaney held the team airplane from departing for NY until the "check had cleared" from the Gotham Bowl. I was too young to know about how we were perceived "nationally" but I can tell you that folks in Omaha were very excited and it just got better and better.
Thanks, GFOA!

Only 8 I am afraid. Can vaguely remember starting to listen to games on the radio and learning who I did not like. i.e., MO, CO, OK.
Nice. BTW, I'm now also a "GA Bugeater". Moved to the McDonough area last year (& got my season tickets by UPS on Monday!)

(Edit: HUSKER season tix)

Last edited:

Remember it? I participated as one of the 500 or so fans in Yankee Stadium for the Gotham Bowl against Miami, a game that is seldom replayed anywhere but remains an extraordinarily exciting game to this day. I was practicing law on Wall Street at the time.

I also remember the earlier season (1955 or so)season when we ended up playing Duke in one of the bowl games, were heavily favored I think, and got creamed,. One of my friends was a stellar performer on that team and filled me in on just why the team was not playing well that day. some lack of parental control is the best way to put it.

But let's ask the real question. How many of you listened to the Rose Bowl game with me that we played against Stanford and their newly developed T formation attach in 1940? Were you as disappointed as I when we lost? How many had an uncle who won a drawing at his local grocery store and got free transportation room and ticket to the game? I did.

That was just about the end of the good teams at NU until Devaney came along. Until then we had consistently been a national powerhouse although never voted number one.
Wow, EoE, thanks for posting! Great stories!

My Dad played for Bill Glassford, so you must have a few memories of those years as well (unless you selectively forgot the down times).

My folks really admired the guys on that Rose Bowl team. I wonder if they were as torn up about the next 21 years as guys like Wistrom and Peter were about our more recent struggles.

I was 3 that year and I do have my earliest memory I can still recall from then. But it wasn't about the huskers. It was seeing some people on TV called "Russians" walk down some steps. I was surprised how normal they looked. I overheard my Mom and Dad talking about them and it made me pretty scared, which is why I think the memory imprinted. The Cuban missile crisis happened that October.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back