• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Do we lose anyone because of our B10 championship performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to see how the next few years go with Urban...ethically he seems to have been somewhat flexible ....will the Big Ten police itself or look the other way

Im going to go on a limb and say the stuff he used to pull at UF will not fly in the B1G. He will still see success though because hes a good coach with a good history of success.

Well said, it wasnt that long ago there was a severe talent deficiency on offense with a defense stocked full of talent. Its pretty obvious where the recruiting focus was in 2009 and 2010. And for the "bo cant recruit" crowd, they are smart enough to start threads and complain about it, but not smart enough to actually go and look at recent classes and see where areas of focus were and see the results on the field. We now have an offense that is putting up 30+ a game. We have that in 08 and 09, we are hoisting another sears trophy in our case. Im as disgusted as the next person with our CCG performance, but that doesnt take away the young talent we will see in the next year and more.

Excellent post. Some people get so caught up in the moment that reality tends to slip away from them quickly. Yes, it has become a cliche but life is about process, so when Bo mentions the process when dealing with the program, it lets me know that he is doing what life allows him to do. And he is building something to live on even after he chooses to move on, whenever that is.

We are getting the right kids in here to get an education, play ball, represent the institute respectfully, and hopefully make a lot of money after their playing days here are done. I love what Bo is doing and I can easily see him getting better every off season.

There is no question that the CCG blow out could hurt recruiting. A lot of the high end blue chippers go to programs that are at the top of their game. We typically don't get those guys, so it's not a death sentence, but it certainly doesn't help.

Last edited:
There is no question that the CCG blow out could hurt recruiting. A lot of the high end blue chippers go to programs that are at the top of their game. We typically don't get those guys, so it's not a death sentence, but it certainly doesn't help.

I would rather get blown out in a Championship game than sit home and watch it on TV like everyone else besides Wisconsin did in the B1G and so many other teams that didn't qualify for a championship game in their conferences. I also like the fact our staff can sell recruits the fact that we've played for the conference championship no matter what conference we were in 3 of the last 4 years. We can look a recruit in the eye and tell them conference games are what we are about and have the recent history to prove it. you can't win them if you don't even get there first. This senior class has a ton of heart but lets face it Bo was in damage control and trying to put a class together quick when he came on board. These seniors aren't as talented as some of the classes we have signed since and as Bo becomes more of a household name nationwide it's going to make it easier to get a look from more of the top kids in the country. That's also part of the process.

Last edited:

Looks like someone has gotten a little emotional.....:lol: But here let me help you.

Cameron Meredith, Baker Steinkuhler, Andrew Green, Ciante Evans, Jason Ankrah, P.J. Smith........are some upperclassmen whom received extensive playing time as freshmen and/or sophomores.

Charles Jackson, Hravey Jackson, Corey Cooper, Josh Mitchell, Chase Rome David Santos........are some underclassmen whom received extensive playing time now.

Prince Amukumara, Alfonzo Dennard, Eric Hagg, Jared Crick, Matthew May, Austin Cassidy........are some ex players under Bo whom got extensive playing time as a freshman and/or sophomore........

So you are still wrong.

No, not emotional.

I think our definition of extensive is much, much different. I'd link you to a dictionary site, but I'm sure you can find one.

The Jackson's, Cooper, and Santos have not received "extensive" playing time.

Bo loves to play those upperclassmen with low ceilings ... gotta love Ankrah and Meredith, too, two guys that should be getting cleanup duty in the 4th Quarter, but they played extensively as sophomores ... must be easier for kids to pick up on standing up straight and getting pushed off the ball.

I would rather get blown out in a Championship game than sit home and watch it on TV like everyone else besides Wisconsin did in the B1G and so many other teams that didn't qualify for a championship game in their conferences. I also like the fact our staff can sell recruits the fact that we've played for the conference championship no matter what conference we were in 3 of the last 4 years. We can look a recruit in the eye and tell them conference games are what we are about and have the recent history to prove it. you can't win them if you don't even get there first. This senior class has a ton of heart but lets face it Bo was in damage control and trying to put a class together quick when he came on board. These seniors aren't as talented as some of the classes we have signed since and as Bo becomes more of a household name nationwide it's going to make it easier to get a look from more of the top kids in the country. That's also part of the process.

very valid points...hopefully, this staff can sell this to the recruits.

I wanted to comment on the ever-argued subject of getting rid of under-performing upperclassmen through things like a medical hardship. Most schools use this method to release scholarships. A player still retains the scholarship money they had while on the football team so they can finish school.

I compare the situation to someone with an academic scholarship. Just like a high profile athlete, a school gives certain students with an impressive high school resume a scholarship with the understanding that they adhere to certain standards in exchange for getting 100k of free education. If a kid has a 4.0 gpa and gets a 1450 on his SATs, he deserves a scholarship. While in college, he is going to be held to an even higher standard and expected to continue to thrive academically. He wont be able to keep his scholarship if he starts failing classes or has a low gpa. The school wont care if he has a hard time being on his own for the first time, or if he is not ready for this level of academic standards. Does it matter in this case? Should the school look the other way because he thrived in high school and they made a commitment to him based on those accomplishments?

With an athlete, why is it bad to hold them to a certain standard as well? If the kid is three or four years in and has not sniffed the field, should the staff not get another chance at using that scholarship if they deem the kid has not and will not succeed for them? Especially when the kid continues to go to school for free. Is it better to let the kid continue to get pummeled on the scout team even though he wont see the field or help his team? Nick Ash, Tobi Okuyemi, Mike Moudy, Brandon Thompson, Jay Guy, Micah Kreikemeier...have any of them ever seen live action of any kind? Walker Ashburn, Donovan Vestal, Brion Carnes, CJ Zimmerer...would it be so bad to let these kids get their degrees for free while trying to recruit someone who will contribute?

I am not saying coaches should recruit 30 man classes and trim fat like its a video game, but I also think coaches should have some leeway on getting creative with freeing up scholarships shall we say.

Last edited:
Hasn't Bo made a 4-year pledge or something like that where he has committed to honoring every scholarship for 4 years?

No, not emotional.

I think our definition of extensive is much, much different. I'd link you to a dictionary site, but I'm sure you can find one.

The Jackson's, Cooper, and Santos have not received "extensive" playing time.

Bo loves to play those upperclassmen with low ceilings ... gotta love Ankrah and Meredith, too, two guys that should be getting cleanup duty in the 4th Quarter, but they played extensively as sophomores ... must be easier for kids to pick up on standing up straight and getting pushed off the ball.

Well, how do you define extensive. I'm only counting underclassmen who get in the game for at least 2 series and have played in at least half of the games on the schedule. If I counted every freshman and sophomore whom went in even just for a snap, then there are more names I could add to the list (Roach, Curry, Moore). Are you saying extensive is only those whom are starting?

Well, how do you define extensive. I'm only counting underclassmen who get in the game for at least 2 series and have played in at least half of the games on the schedule. If I counted every freshman and sophomore whom went in even just for a snap, then there are more names I could add to the list (Roach, Curry, Moore). Are you saying extensive is only those whom are starting?

I was talking about kids who played 50% snaps or so ... major contributors. Santos is probably one of the younger guys (on defense) who got the most playing time and I don't consider him to have got "extensive" playing time. He played a lot in a few games, but, for the most part, Bo stuck with the Senior Three.

I'm not ragging on Bo just to rag on him ... I think there's a serious lack of talent on this team upfront and I don't understand why a kid like Santos doesn't get time over Whaley/Fisher. Everybody loves Fisher and his "story", but I could care less. Did/will Santos make mistakes? Absolutely. That said ... I'd rather have a kid with size/speed/talent like Santos who might make a bad read occasionally, but still has the athleticism to make a play/get out there than a slow senior who still makes mistakes and doesn't have the athleticism to make up for them. That's my preference .... obviously, I don't get paid millions to make those calls.

This senior class has a ton of heart but lets face it Bo was in damage control and trying to put a class together quick when he came on board. These seniors aren't as talented as some of the classes we have signed since and as Bo becomes more of a household name nationwide it's going to make it easier to get a look from more of the top kids in the country.

I would agree with this... the most recent classes have been better than the first class.

ABSOLUTELY. Our young talent has plenty more promise than those we recruited in the past. Much higher ceilings here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back