• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Do we lose anyone because of our B10 championship performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And wil next year along with quite a few other guys at LB and DE....so his early playing time claim defense or not is still wrong...

I agree, RR. I think Bo has a good record of playing young kids if they get it. I also think next year is when we will see the "fruits" of his redshirting (baring more injuries).

That is not what you said....thus your original statement is still wrong....

I mentioned nothing but defense from the start ... I know you can read/see that. Let's not play dumb ... either we're talking about the same thing or we might as well not be talking at all. Trust me, I can play dumb with the best of them! :Biggrin:

As far as CT goes, we'll never really know what kind of playing time Curry and Williams would have right now. I thought Santos was working his way into a starting spot, but that got dumped on its head. I didn't think we had the talent this year to keep younger guys from playing snaps, but we must have.

And wil next year along with quite a few other guys at LB and DE....so his early playing time claim defense or not is still wrong...

It's not next year, RR. It's this year. I don't have a crystal ball to see who is playing where and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

I hope to see Gregory, Moss, Curry, and Valentine getting significant time at DL NEXT YEAR. I hope that Santos, Rose, Brown, and Afalava get significant time NEXT YEAR. I hope that Charles Jackson and Jonathan Rose see the field NEXT YEAR.

BUT, I'm talking about this year ... you're talking about what should/might happen.

This is about younger, more athletic players not having a chance to play because they can't grasp this scheme (which is only one of its major flaws).

No I was and am disagreeing with you....

I also find it interesting that folks are venting now....many of whom never said any of this stuff before last nights game....funny how that happens.

Oh and I still disagree....

It's not next year, RR. It's this year. I don't have a crystal ball to see who is playing where and I'm pretty sure you don't either.

I hope to see Gregory, Moss, Curry, and Valentine getting significant time at DL NEXT YEAR. I hope that Santos, Rose, Brown, and Afalava get significant time NEXT YEAR. I hope that Charles Jackson and Jonathan Rose see the field NEXT YEAR.

BUT, I'm talking about this year ... you're talking about what should/might happen.

No I was and am disagreeing with you....

I also find it interesting that folks are venting now....many of whom never said any of this stuff before last nights game....funny how that happens.

Oh and I still disagree....

Said the same thing after the UCLA game, after the OSU game, throughout the last six weeks. The lack of athletes has been a concern of mine for quite awhile. Don't try lumping me into a group of people that jumped out of the woodwork after this game. I've been adamant about disliking numerous things about this scheme ... a major point being the lack of younger and more athletic players.

I see you're disagreeing ... you're just not giving any evidence/reason to support otherwise.

Oh and I still think you're wrong.

Last edited:
I mentioned nothing but defense from the start ... I know you can read/see that. Let's not play dumb ... either we're talking about the same thing or we might as well not be talking at all. Trust me, I can play dumb with the best of them! :Biggrin:

As far as CT goes, we'll never really know what kind of playing time Curry and Williams would have right now. I thought Santos was working his way into a starting spot, but that got dumped on its head. I didn't think we had the talent this year to keep younger guys from playing snaps, but we must have.

Obviously you have some players in mind who should be seeing the field, but are not. Who are they?

Santos, anyone of the three Freshman LBs after Anderson went down (big loss, IMO) ... how about Charles Jackson getting a look rather than Justin Blatchford? I don't see the upside of playing Blatchford, but that's me. Injuries sort of screwed up the DL a bit as Moss and Curry might have earned a bit more time. H. Jackson or Cooper at S in place of PJ Smith, who is about as athletic as Fisher and Whaley. We've got major issues at safety. There's a lot of kids I wish had gotten a look/a chance to play some live action football.

It's nice to redshirt everybody, but that's usually the case if you've got great depth/talent. We have/had neither of those things.

When it's all said and done, I simply don't like the scheme. That's my opinion as far as a defensive mentality goes.

Young guys playing is a desperation move. We've wasted a few redshirts in the past few years and I'm glad that the push is to get back to redshirting pretty much everyone. About the only kids I would say to burn a shirt on are the can't miss guys that would leave early for the NFL...get as much as you can out of them, but really, we haven't had any of them so keep redshirting. And while some may deem burning the redshirt as early playing time, I think RFr playing still qualifies as early playing time

I disagree! In today's game, youngsters are playing more and more. Alabama has 6 true freshman on their two-deep. I wouldn't say they are desperate.

Isn't that how you build the depth? It seems like thats the way Osborne and Devaney did it.

True Freshman aren't taken into account for depth? Also, redshirting or not, you're still only allowed a certain number of scholarships. You build depth by recruiting successfully and developing players. Take a look at our DTs, have all sorts of redshirts ... where's the depth? (I realize there are injuries there before somebody points out of the obvious) Think I'd rather have a 320 pound DT Fr. inside than a 260 DE Sr. ... how about you?

How many redshirt RBs do we have? How's the depth there?

We can play this game all day long.

More athletic players, seems like that's what Dr. Tom started recruiting/playing when he had his most success.

Last edited:

At times we did try to change it up and play the younger guys yesterday. The difference is is when P.J makes mistakes and they put in Harvey Jackson and Harvey makes mistakes, who are they going to go to? So you put in P.J again. The younger guys have shorter leashes, so they are not on the field as long.

I think both of you have a point and are both partially right, we do play young guys but once they make mistakes they are pulled and not given another chance (which is most likely the right decision). Hopefully the young guys can develop during bowl practice and be more prepared for next year! Just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back