• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Divisions confirmed by MD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put Michigan in the East and put Wisc back in the West. Later, when we add ND :)thumbsup:) they can go either direction but they seem more East than West. That leaves room for another West team...KU?, ISU :)eek:) Mizzou? Just thoughts.

Like NU, UM will always rise again. Same for OSU and, before the sanctions, PSU. The same can't be said for Wisconsin. What happens when Alvarez retires? They don't have a fanbase that will ensure they maintain excellence quite like the big four. Besides that, while I would like to play Wisconsin annually, I'd much rather play Michigan. Better team, bigger game, better history, better brand.

Let's send Iowa to the Leaders Division. :Biggrin:

I agree eight games isnt going to cut it. Even nine games, just like now, will leave some players finishing their college careers without ever playing all the teams in their conference. I think that stinks. It's not so terrible if you miss out on Indiana or Purdue, but who want's to go their whole career and never get to play OSU or Michigan?

With ten conference games, you could have 6 division games, 3 crossover games, and 1 protected crossover. Players would then play a home and away with every team during their four year career. Not sure how to make that work, as it would mean a school's 11th and 12th games would need to be home games to give the AD's the seven home games they require, and that means FCS-type exhibitions.

I have an aunt and uncle that live in Champaign. I was hoping we'd get a game there sooner.

That is just so unappealing. That would basically mean cool non conference matchups are a thing of the past. No OU, no UCLA, no Washington or Tennessee. Those are the types of games I love to see, and it gives you a different flavor from playing essentially the same teams in conference every year.

The guys on the BIG football panel said that they will probably NOT play games between Legends and Leaders division anymore but I think they forgot about Michigan and Ohio State when they said that.
My guess is they'll go to a nine game conference schedule with the protected rivalry game. That would mean you play each of the other six teams from the other division home and home, then not at all for four years.

Buckeyes seem like the big winners here, get to compete in the "new" east coast territories every year (being in same division) - meanwhile we legends see the newbies a third of the time.

New conference same stuff? We cried about Texas non-stop but now we are in a conference that does things that make no sense (cross divisional "rival" games between teams that are not rivals and having OSU and Mich in separate divisions) just to appease MU and OSU.

New conference same stuff? We cried about Texas non-stop but now we are in a conference that does things that make no sense (cross divisional "rival" games between teams that are not rivals and having OSU and Mich in separate divisions) just to appease MU and OSU.

Unfortunately the Big 12 (more over Beebe) was a joke when it came honoring the founders i.e. us and Oklahoma and bowed down to Texas. I have zero problem with the B1G honoring the teams that put it on the map. But thats just me.

Last edited:
My Penn State buddy just laughs when I complain about Texas. He says, "We've got two Texas' in the B1G."

That is just so unappealing. That would basically mean cool non conference matchups are a thing of the past. No OU, no UCLA, no Washington or Tennessee. Those are the types of games I love to see, and it gives you a different flavor from playing essentially the same teams in conference every year.

I agree. That one non-con against a high-caliber opponant is one of my favorite games of the season usually. So, maybe eventually we'll be bringing in enough money from the BTN that alternating six home games one year and seven the next will work. That would be a loss of $4-$5 million over the two year cycle from the home game. $2-$3 million per year doesn't seem too difficult to make up from tv revenue. Especially considering there would be only one weak game per year.

That's the flip side, and the very appealing side to me. Ten conference games, one good non-con, and one pay-to-play patsy. That beats the hell out of eight conference games, one good non-con, and three patsies. The cost is one home game per two years. I have to think the additional tv revenue for these type of games over playing several weak schools would more than make up for the lost home game.

Another factor to consider is the strength-of-schedule component that will almost certainly become more important as we move to a playoff via selection committee, and likely an eventual full-scale playoff.

Last edited:

The guys on the BIG football panel said that they will probably NOT play games between Legends and Leaders division anymore but I think they forgot about Michigan and Ohio State when they said that.

How can that be ? There will be seven teams in each division. No cross-divisional games would mean only six conference games.

How can that be ? There will be seven teams in each division. No cross-divisional games would mean only six conference games.

I could see that when they expand to 16 and then they will have 7 division games and one protected cross division rival to get to 8 games.

I guess Delaney hasn't heard that Maryland already confirmed the alignment. Someone should let him know.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/65894/delany-new-division-alignment-not-set
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany refuted that report as Rutgers officially joined the league on Tuesday, saying any talks of an alignment being settled "just have no basis in fact."

"Someone had already created new alignments [on Monday]," Delany said. "Those are news to me. One of the great things about expansion is the speculation surrounding expansion."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back