• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Devaney says the talent was there

I'll admit I didn't want to read all the posts in this thread, simply because there is no discussing our talent with anyone who watched the OSU and UTenn games and thought we have the athletic ability to play against either of those teams. Tennessee, with a decent QB who could see the field and without 3 specific drops, probably could have put 60 on us as well. They had receivers over the top open all game.

What I will always refer back to is the question posed after the Indiana game. If NU and IU changed uniforms at half, could you tell based on the play on the field? Could you tell by average team speed? By physicality of the players?

I have no idea what Devaney was angling at, or the purpose of his comments. But there is zero doubt in my mind he knows we don't have the players to compete for a B1G title. But I agree with many of you here who think we have something close enough to complete for the West. Personally, I think 86ing the YOLO passing game puts us much more close to Indy than anything not called recruiting.

Nailed it.

Langsdorf and Cav are on notice.

Why aren't you putting Riley on notice, too? What's holding you back?

Riley, Langsdorf and Cav are tied at the hip. If Langsdorf and Cav fail, that's a Riley fail as well.

Your statement doesn't make any sense unless you believe assistant coaches are responsible for producing great teams and HC's have nothing to do with it.

I never realized Devaney, Osborne, Meyer and Saban became great because they were experts at finding the right assistant coaches. What an amazing revelation.

Keep reshuffling the deck, deal yourself a new hand of assistant coaches, and if you get dealt the right hand, any HC can become a great! Is that your theory ***?

Wow, until now, I did not realize that the nation's best core of assistant coaches was working at Wyoming in 1959. Tom Osborne knocked on Devaney's door in the early 1960s to make it even better. Bob Devaney was so lucky! He was dealt the right hand! He didn't have to do much of anything! His leadership probably had little to do with NC's in 1970 and 1971.

Surely, if Bob Devaney can find the right assistants, MR can too!

And having the right assistant coaches is all a HC needs to be successful. That is what you are telling us, right ***?

Last edited:

Riley, Langsdorf and Cav are tied at the hip. If Langsdorf and Cav fail, that's a Riley fail as well.

Your statement doesn't make any sense unless you believe assistant coaches are responsible for producing great teams and HC's have nothing to do with it.

I never realized Devaney, Osborne, Meyer and Saban became great because they were experts at finding the right assistant coaches. What an amazing revelation.

Keep reshuffling the deck, deal yourself a new hand of assistant coaches, and if you get dealt the right hand, any HC can become a great! Is that your theory ***?

Wow, until now, I did not realize that the nation's best core of assistant coaches was working at Wyoming in 1959. Tom Osborne knocked on Devaney's door in the early 1960s to make it even better. Bob Devaney was so lucky! He was dealt the right hand! He didn't have to do much of anything! His leadership wasn't really necessary.

Maybe MR will get lucky, too!
Im starting to see why you get the responses you do.

That wasn't the question, stay on topic.
Sure it was. The conversation was about the offense not being very good this season. You pointed to the defense in two games, I pointed to the offense also being inept in those games, you blamed QB depth, and I pointed out that our offense was anemic all season... especially in conference play.

Sure it was. The conversation was about the offense not being very good this season. You pointed to the defense in two games, I pointed to the offense also being inept in those games, you blamed QB depth, and I pointed out that our offense was anemic all season... especially in conference play.
The offense was anemic due to one major deficiency. Im looking forward to an offense that has a QB.

The offense was anemic due to one major deficiency. Im looking forward to an offense that has a QB.
That same qb played 3 other seasons, all of which yielded better results than what we saw in 2016. Why is that?

That same qb played 3 other seasons, all of which yielded better results than what we saw in 2016. Why is that?

Is this a rhetorical question? We all know that even with DL adding ZR plays it was outside his wheel house. Does that mean he is an incompetent OC? No, it does not and anyone willing to look at the design of his offense can see that. But that requires a person to truly take an objective look at it which some are unwilling to do.

Also for those that keep wanting to use Iowa as some measuring stick forget that TA's only strength was completely taken away due to the hamstring injury. A running QB who is a 51% completion percentage passer becomes ineffective in that situation allowing the defense to pin their ears back and shut down the running backs.

C

Last edited:
Im starting to see why you get the responses you do.

Just as I expected! Rather than answer my question, you avoid it by talking about the poster rather than the post. I spoke about your post not you. You should do the same. It is what you are supposed to do on this board. So, what's stopping you from answering my question? Are you afraid of being exposed as an anti-Riley troll?

:mr: "Good job Paramus! An attack on the King's men is an attack on the King Himself! When this amateur decided to but Langsdorf and Cav on notice he was putting me on notice as well. It is obvious that *** does not have full faith and confidence in me. Paramus, he won't answer your question because he desperately wants to remain popular with the MR faithful. I am so glad you exposed him, Paramus!

I am going to take immediate action! I am adding *** to my energy vampire list and I am taking him off of my Christmas card list. And Paramus, be sure to add him to your anti-Riley agenda watch list! This guy is bad news for the Husker program I am trying to build.

I can't believe this egotistical amateur had the balls to put two of my favorite assistant coaches on notice. Who does this chump think he is, Billy Devaney? The guy is obviously in the twilight zone!"

"And don't worry Paramus. *** will remain on my administration's rumor control watch list. His assertion that I didn't know Diaco was coming to town for an interview created a lot of unnecessary doubt and turmoil amongst the faithful. Rumors like that are obviously anti-Riley. We'll keep an eye on this guy. He's a loose cannon."

Last edited:
IMG_0336.JPG

*** won't defend what he said about Langsdorf and Cav. Its not hard to understand why. He ain't got enough pluck.

Last edited:

Wow, until now, I did not realize that the nation's best core of assistant coaches was working at Wyoming in 1959. Tom Osborne knocked on Devaney's door in the early 1960s to make it even better. Bob Devaney was so lucky! He was dealt the right hand! He didn't have to do much of anything! His leadership probably had little to do with NC's in 1970 and 1971.

Surely, if Bob Devaney can find the right assistants, MR can too!

And having the right assistant coaches is all a HC needs to be successful. That is what you are telling us, right ***?
Is that not the excuse most gave Frank?

Just as I expected! Rather than answer my question, you avoid it by talking about the poster rather than the post. I spoke about your post not you. You should do the same. It is what you are supposed to do on this board. So, what's stopping you from answering my question? Are you afraid of being exposed as an anti-Riley troll?

:mr: "Good job Paramus! An attack on the King's men is an attack on the King Himself! When this amateur decided to but Langsdorf and Cav on notice he was putting me on notice as well. It is obvious that *** does not have full faith and confidence in me. Paramus, he won't answer your question because he desperately wants to remain popular with the MR faithful. I am so glad you exposed him, Paramus!

I am going to take immediate action! I am adding *** to my energy vampire list and I am taking him off of my Christmas card list. And Paramus, be sure to add him to your anti-Riley agenda watch list! This guy is bad news for the Husker program I am trying to build.

I can't believe this egotistical amateur had the balls to put two of my favorite assistant coaches on notice. Who does this chump think he is, Billy Devaney? The guy is obviously in the twilight zone!"

"And don't worry Paramus. *** will remain on my administration's rumor control watch list. His assertion that I didn't know Diaco was coming to town for an interview created a lot of unnecessary doubt and turmoil amongst the faithful. Rumors like that are obviously anti-Riley. We'll keep an eye on this guy. He's a loose cannon."
*** won't defend what he said about Langsdorf and Cav. Its not hard to understand why. He ain't got enough pluck.
Just when I thought someone couldn't be less in touch with reality, they post again. Truly impressive.

Last edited:

"You know what, there really wasn't," he said. "Wisconsin, obviously, was a pretty balanced team, but it was a good matchup. The Iowa game, that was bullsh--. There was no way in the world that should have happened.
Have to agree with that. That's a game I wish I hadn't attended. I pass on the Oregon game, but go to the Iowa game. I know how to pick them...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back