• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Devaney says the talent was there

I would agree that Cav should be on notice. No excuses for his group to continue to perform as poorly as they did last season.

I'll reserve judgement on DL until we have a competent offensive line. As much I loved TA, I think his inability to consistently make certain throws put DL in a pretty small play calling box at times. Hopefully all of that changes this year.

"Coming in (to last season), talent was not a concern," said Devaney, who joined the program last February. "I thought we had a chance to have a really good football team. I thought we had really good players."

He then paused and thought back to Nov. 5 at Ohio State. He watched warmups from the sideline and said it was an "eye-opener."

"It was like, 'Oh, God, wow,'" he said. "I was very concerned."

So, this tells me that Devaney made an initial statement about the talent level at Nebraska, then re-evaluated the reality of the situation and admitted he was wrong.

Based on who Devaney had to compare the Huskers with up that point probably makes that a true statement. It's like being a racquetball player...it's an attainable goal to become a B level player, but the jump from B level to A level is huge. Nebraska is and has been at the B level for quite some time when it comes to talent and Ohio St. is at the A level. It appears to be trending upward and hopefully that is the case because everything else like fan support, tradition, and facilities is at the A level.

Last edited:
Quoted for truth:

Jesus man.

Responding to this ^ with the below is truly fascinating.

Ok, you put Langsdorf and Cav on notice. Well, I am putting you on notice.

You do not seem to understand the culture on this board. There are 2 primary trolling violations:

1. You can't say anything bad about the UNL HC.

2. You can't say anything good about the UCF HC.

IMO, you just violated #1. If you don't like the culture on this board then I suggest you take your comments elsewhere.

I find it a waste of time to continue to beat a dead horse. Last years team had deficiencies from the start and we all knew them. Depth and injuries also hurt in the end. Note again the NFL did not think much of our talent. The draft will probably prove it. It will continue to be interesting to see what happens with MRs recruits in the next two years. Still a fan thru all the issues. Curious, who hired BD?

I find it a waste of time to continue to beat a dead horse. Last years team had deficiencies from the start and we all knew them. Depth and injuries also hurt in the end. Note again the NFL did not think much of our talent. The draft will probably prove it. It will continue to be interesting to see what happens with MRs recruits in the next two years. Still a fan thru all the issues. Curious, who hired BD?
ESPN says Riley created the position after SE suggested it. Even if SE made the formal hire, the fact that BD was with the Chargers with MR leads me to believe he is an MR guy.

Is that why we scored 30 points only one time in conference play? And not a single time in our final 8 games?

QB and O-line recruiting and development was bad for several seasons before 2016. Why that's a secret to anyone I'm not sure.

QB and O-line recruiting and development was bad for several seasons before 2016. Why that's a secret to anyone I'm not sure.
You can certainly assign blame wherever you choose (which in your case is everyone but the current staff), but the 2016 offense was bad. We all remember the 2009 offense for how poor it was, but 2016 produced very similar results. The troubling thing is that the staff in 2009 made a conscious decision to go into a shell offensively, but they still managed to perform at about the same clip as the 2016 offense.

You can certainly assign blame wherever you choose (which in your case is everyone but the current staff), but the 2016 offense was bad. We all remember the 2009 offense for how poor it was, but 2016 produced very similar results. The troubling thing is that the staff in 2009 made a conscious decision to go into a shell offensively, but they still managed to perform at about the same clip as the 2016 offense.

I have blamed the current staff and shared my reservations about them on many occasions. You choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit your agenda. I'm sure there's a sense of urgency to take as many potshots at the current staff as you can because they now have QBs who fit their system and made some hires on defense that look great on paper. In other words, it's got to be very troubling knowing that Riley may be putting the pieces together for success. Damn pass happy jerk!

This thread and some posters in it reminds me of Hermans Hermits.

Second verse same as the first.

C

I have blamed the current staff and shared my reservations about them on many occasions. You choose to ignore it because it doesn't fit your agenda. I'm sure there's a sense of urgency to take as many potshots at the current staff as you can because they now have QBs who fit their system and made some hires on defense that look great on paper. In other words, it's got to be very troubling knowing that Riley may be putting the pieces together for success. Damn pass happy jerk!
I love your commitment to being wrong. I have said over and over that I hope Riley is tremendously successful, and that I don't care how he does it (passing, running, 4-3, 3-4, whatever). But I'm not going to be blind to the fact that so far things haven't gone well, that our defense was awful in 2015, or that our offense was awful in 2016. In two seasons, Riley hasn't shown the ability to get done ON THE FIELD. Isn't that what ultimately counts?

I love your commitment to being wrong. I have said over and over that I hope Riley is tremendously successful, and that I don't care how he does it (passing, running, 4-3, 3-4, whatever). But I'm not going to be blind to the fact that so far things haven't gone well, that our defense was awful in 2015, or that our offense was awful in 2016. In two seasons, Riley hasn't shown the ability to get done ON THE FIELD. Isn't that what ultimately counts?

Basically were the same on the field as we where work Bo except now we have hope for improvement. I can see why you're so happy. ;)

I'll admit I didn't want to read all the posts in this thread, simply because there is no discussing our talent with anyone who watched the OSU and UTenn games and thought we have the athletic ability to play against either of those teams. Tennessee, with a decent QB who could see the field and without 3 specific drops, probably could have put 60 on us as well. They had receivers over the top open all game.

What I will always refer back to is the question posed after the Indiana game. If NU and IU changed uniforms at half, could you tell based on the play on the field? Could you tell by average team speed? By physicality of the players?

I have no idea what Devaney was angling at, or the purpose of his comments. But there is zero doubt in my mind he knows we don't have the players to compete for a B1G title. But I agree with many of you here who think we have something close enough to complete for the West. Personally, I think 86ing the YOLO passing game puts us much more close to Indy than anything not called recruiting.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back