• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Degrees of Separation for Husker Fans

My sister went to high school in McCook with Jeff Kinney. Our parents used to hang out once in a while, or so I was told. I was only 8.

This is unrelated, but every time this name is mentioned my mind goes back to the look on dirty Steve's face in Young Guns.

When I was in hospital administration, we worked with a marketing firm in the DFW area. My contact there ... somehow we got to talking about college football and I discovered she was Tim Albin's mother-in-law. Tim was on staff at the time. My daughter's high school coach at Amarillo High was Kory Cooper, former AA and national champion volleyball player at Nebraska. Her brother lives a block from me. A good friend of mine, a doctor here, his daughter was a cheerleader at Nebraska. Paul Engler, major benefactor and former regent at UNL, lives here, and is also a major benefactor to my alma mater, West Texas A&M University. I used to work with his new wife. His most recent donation to WTA&M is $1 million per year, in perpetuity. :O O:

Amarillo and the Texas panhandle have a volume of Nebraska connections.

Last edited:
Bumping this up. Visiting Donna's family in Bloomington, IN and went to Westside Church this morning wearing my Nebraska jacket and was approached by this lady. She is George Darlington's sister.

Nancy_Werner_George_Darling.gif

I am working on an article that will post tomorrow. The premise is the six degrees of separation for Husker fans is only three.

What is your "six is only 3" story where you met a stranger that turned out to being a Husker fan and you both knew someone in common? An example would be I was at baggage claim at the Sacramento airport and a guy say my Nebraska shirt. He lives in Sacramento and grew up with @Skunkman1 .
Went to the UCLA game at the Rosebowl in 88. Talked to the Nebraska fans behind me. They were from Ashton. (My Dad's hometown) turns out they were just a few years behind him in school and knew my Dad's whole family.

Then about ten years ago Went to Northwestern with my son and some young kids behind me. Found out they were from North Platte and went to St Pats. I grew up with one of their Dads.

So approx 30 years later I had the same thing happen in reverse.

When we decided to make the move back to my wife's home state of South Dakota (after our military retirement) we had an unexpected interaction with a former Husker player.

We went to the local AT&T store for new phones etc. I was wearing a Husker hat and shirt and our consultant introduced himself as Cartier Walker

Needless to say a long conversation about all things Nebraska football ensued. He had a lot if great stories playing in the late 1980's and some pointed opinions about the state of the team and staff at that time 2015-2016

He told me was the DC & S&C coach at SD School of Mines for a few years

I saw him a few times after that and it was always fun talking Husker Football and where life had taken him since his playing days

That was a pretty cool unexpected encounter

Last edited:
Fun thread that I must have missed the first time around...

Here is a short but fun one:

Two or so years ago my family and I were on a Caribbean cruise and ported at Grand Cayman. We did a short tour of a sea turtle farm, wearing our Husker garb, when what I assumed to be a local with his long grey beard and long grey dreadlocks and Rastafarian hat moseyed over and asked if I knew who Jarvis Redwine was. Upon confirming that I did, he went on to tell me that Jarvis was his top competition running sprints in Los Angeles track meets. Once Jarvis joined the Cornhuskers, he became a lifelong Nebraska fan.

I was at church parking my car that’s covered in Huskers stickers and magnets and a young man yells out of his car, “Hey, my cousin is Harrison Beck”. That’s when he was at Nebraska. It was in Vero Bech, Florida.

Last edited:
Probably not what @BigRedMax was looking for.

Well…on the day of my birth I was delivered by Rex Fischer.

I guess it was meant to be that I would become a Nebraska fan. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Years ago I had to call back to our company's HQ in Pennsylvania. The woman saw in the system that I was in Omaha, NE. She asked if I was a Nebraska football fan. I answered "Of course". She said her daughter was Lil' Red. Or at least one of the six who wore the Lil' Red uniform. I asked if she or her family were from Nebraska. She said they had no ties to the state of Nebraska or the university, but her daughter insisted on going to UNL.

All I could do was congratulate her for raising her daughter right! :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back