• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thoughts.....post yours.

NUFootballTim

Scout Team
15 Year Member
first game we've had in a while that was worth commenting on. nothing against the past few wins, but they weren't exactly measuring sticks. this game was, and NU came up way short. <<<< deep breath >>>>

lets just set NU's terrible start aside and look at a point in the game when NU was actually "in the game", at least as far as the score was concerned. In the span of a few minutes, the end of hte first half and the beginning of the 2nd, we had NU defenders who had NO idea how to defend the pick and roll. We had guards, (Webster and Shields) with silly open floor turnovers, NU defenders closing out on Creighton players by literally running at them full speed only to watch them blow by for open shots, layups, and kick-outs to wide open CU shooters.....

guys......this team is not well coached. there are signs ALL over the place. last year it may have been masked by all the bickering we did about team chemistry etc. But it simply can't be denied. To make it as simple as possible, go back and re-watch the game, and count how many times you see 2 NU players occupying the exact same floor space doing the exact same thing. I counted at least 7 or so, and that was in the first 10 minutes of the game. then count how many times you saw CU players in that same predicament. zero would be a good guess.

So what does that actually mean when you have 2 players in the same spot? (and i'm not talking about 2 guys doubling down on a post player.) it means the players don't know what they are supposed to be doing. I saw McVeigh and Parker guarding the same guy. I saw AW3 and Webster standing a foot from each other because both made the exact same cut at the exact same time to the exact same spot on offense. Its all over the floor, all the time. 2 guys doing the same thing. It can come from lack of communication, lack of understanding, lack of vision, lack of a lot of things. but it all points back to coaching.

OFFENSE - my biggest concern.
On offense especially, there is no design. no rhythm. no flow. its just random chaos. I watched Webster dribble the ball for a few seconds, only to make a pass to Shields who was standing 4 feet from him. Webster made the pass and cut to the basket, only to run into AW3 who, from the exact opposite corner 3pt line was running ALL the way across the court to set a ball screen for Shields. Well after he and Webster collided, AW3 continued on his way and narrowly avoided setting a moving screen because Shields had already started dribbling, rendering the ball screen useless. I had to laugh and then i got mad and thought to myself "ok seriously, why the F is your best 3 point shooter wasting energy running the width of the floor to set a ball screen? what is the point of that?"

thats just stupid. and what has me absolutely worried is a guy like AW3 isn't doing that because he just REALLY wanted to set a ball screen, or he just wanted to help the team. the guy wants to help the team by doing what he does, and that is shoot. there is NO way he would do that jsut based on his own instinct. so who is telling him to do that? where is that thought coming from? because its not even logical. so that makes me wonder what in the world Miles is telling these guys to do on offense. it looks to me like he has set of guidelines or concepts....."you should be cutting, setting a ball screen, or moving"

i seriously hope his offensive game plan isn't simply "cut, or move, or screen". cause if so, does anyone wonder why half the time our team looks like they don't know what they should be doing cuase everyone is just doing whatever pops into his head. honestly, thats what our offense looked like tonight.

one last thing and i'll be done. I'm big on body language, when it comes to bball. go back and watch the first 8 minutes of the game and count how many times NU players caught the ball on offense, and IMMEDIATELY, i mean IMMEDIATELY dribbled, then shuffled their feet, but went nowhere. if you guessed 15 or so, you'd be probably be right. so what does that mean? it means the team is SUPER tight, probably even nervous. it also means the team, to a man, is unsure of what to do, and what their teammates are doing. that Immediate dribble, shuffle the feet, but go no-where bball move is a tell-tale sign of a guy who is burning adrenaline and nervous energy, and who is TRYING to get himself into the ready position of playing bball and being "productive" but without an idea of what to actually do to be productive. So you catch, dribble right away, do a few foot shuffles, go nowhere, and pass to the next guy. When you have people doing it 4,5,6 times in a row its just brutal to watch. i hope that makes sense.

these signs are ALL over the place. we don't see them in all their glory against Abilene Christian, but against teams like CU that force you to execute fundamental basketball plays in order to score, its much easier to see the flaws.

Last edited:

Nebraska is not built to play teams like Creighton, we are built to play athletic and physical teams. Creighton's style has been problematic for us recently because they are up-tempo, with a lot of shooters, and can rotate their offense well with ball movement to get good shots. We have to find a way to dictate the style of play when we play teams like that. We are a very young team who doesn't understand how to do that yet on the road.

Nebraska's coaching staff should have game planned a lot better tonight. I'm not sure it would have mattered because the effort just wasn't there either. All-in-all, it's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. Use this game to learn and get better. We do that and we will be okay.

Creighton has been a solid program for so long, nobody should predict that they are going to fade into irrelevance. McDermott may have gotten the better of Miles so far in their careers, but McDermott isn't a good major conference coach, he's a good mid-major coach. The Big East may be watered down a bit now, but it's still a good enough conference where I can say that it will be tough for McDermott to win big there. Miles is a program builder, is he a good major conference coach though? We will see, the jury is still out there. If I played the stock market game though I would be buying stocks in Miles and Nebraska and just holding my stocks on McDermott at Creighton. Miles could really do something with all this young talent in the next couple of years.

Nebraska is not built to play teams like Creighton, we are built to play athletic and physical teams. Creighton's style has been problematic for us recently because they are up-tempo, with a lot of shooters, and can rotate their offense well with ball movement to get good shots. We have to find a way to dictate the style of play when we play teams like that. We are a very young team who doesn't understand how to do that yet on the road.

Nebraska's coaching staff should have game planned a lot better tonight. I'm not sure it would have mattered because the effort just wasn't there either. All-in-all, it's disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. Use this game to learn and get better. We do that and we will be okay.

Creighton has been a solid program for so long, nobody should predict that they are going to fade into irrelevance. McDermott may have gotten the better of Miles so far in their careers, but McDermott isn't a good major conference coach, he's a good mid-major coach. The Big East may be watered down a bit now, but it's still a good enough conference where I can say that it will be tough for McDermott to win big there. Miles is a program builder, is he a good major conference coach though? We will see, the jury is still out there. If I played the stock market game though I would be buying stocks in Miles and Nebraska and just holding my stocks on McDermott at Creighton. Miles could really do something with all this young talent in the next couple of years.
The best young player on the floor tonight belonged to Creighton

I thought we did a poor job in rotating the ball! It looked like they had no idea how to penetrate, also. Heck, they looked lost most of the time.
Oh, and the shooting? :puke:

I know they were on the road, but no excuse for poor play like that. Only time they looked competitive was near the end of the 1st half, and near the end of the game. Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo friggin' late! :banghead:

I think at least part of your post is laughable. The part about the Big East being watered down. The Big East is a hell of a conference this year. Unfortunately for CU I think that's a reality.

The part that may be right is where you call McDermott a mid major coach. That definitely could be the case. But...that may also be the case with miles. Save for a 10 game stretch a couple years ago he really has done nothing at Nebraska other than recruit. There are signs left and right that he may be another in a fairly long string of Nebraska coaches that can't get them over the hump. I mean I'm acknowledging that Mac may be a mid major coach but it's all to obvious that miles is his....you know what.

Couple other things:

1. What was miles thinking getting a T in the middle of an NU run?

2. For the love of Christ what was he doing calling timeouts and intentionally fouling with under 2 minutes to go and do 15+. Game was over, Tim.

The best young player on the floor tonight belonged to Creighton

Khyri Thomas was the best young player on the floor tonight. He's been more consistent throughout the season than any of the Nebraska freshman, too. Keep in mind that he spent a year at a military academy preparing himself for college, both academically and as a player. That matters in regards to development. Watson has the potential to be really, really special. Morrow and McVeigh have the potential to be good players. Jacobson has the potential to be a solid player. All true freshman. It will be frustrating at times, but they will improve.

I think at least part of your post is laughable. The part about the Big East being watered down. The Big East is a hell of a conference this year. Unfortunately for CU I think that's a reality.

The part that may be right is where you call McDermott a mid major coach. That definitely could be the case. But...that may also be the case with miles. Save for a 10 game stretch a couple years ago he really has done nothing at Nebraska other than recruit. There are signs left and right that he may be another in a fairly long string of Nebraska coaches that can't get them over the hump. I mean I'm acknowledging that Mac may be a mid major coach but it's all to obvious that miles is his....you know what.

Big East is a good basketball conference. There is no Syracuse, UConn, Cinci, Pitt, West Virginia, Louisville, or Notre Dame anymore though. It's really not the powerful Big East that people remember.

Couple other things:

2. For the love of Christ what was he doing calling timeouts and intentionally fouling with under 2 minutes to go and do 15+. Game was over, Tim.

1. He said that he was trying to fire up his team.

2. I'm just speculating, but I think he was trying to teach his team a lesson about effort. Doc used to do that all the time only he would play until the final buzzer. Typically, in Doc's case, it wasn't always about a lesson in effort. He usually did it as a way to protest poor officiating.

Khyri Thomas was the best young player on the floor tonight. He's been more consistent throughout the season than any of the Nebraska freshman, too. Keep in mind that he spent a year at a military academy preparing himself for college, both academically and as a player. That matters in regards to development. Watson has the potential to be really, really special. Morrow and McVeigh have the potential to be good players. Jacobson has the potential to be a solid player. All true freshman. It will be frustrating at times, but they will improve.

True, but he is a freshman.

I question whether Watson has the quickness to be a special player. He is a plus ball handler, but he hasn't yet shown the ability to beat anybody off the dribble to create space or penetrate.

Couple other things:

ya that was just dumb. you're getting destroyed and then FINALLY get the game to 8 pts with some momentum and you get a T? just stupid.

Big East is a good basketball conference. There is no Syracuse, UConn, Cinci, Pitt, West Virginia, Louisville, or Notre Dame anymore though. It's really not the powerful Big East that people remember.

Never will be. But take a peak at conference rpi now and at the end of the non-con. It will likely be 3rd or 4th.

Watered down? Another "informed" opinion.

#2 in the rpi, ahead of the ACC.

B1G is #6

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2016/conferencerpi

Last edited:

This was, hands down, the worst I have seen the Huskers play this season. Just a ridiculous number of completely unforced errors, forced shots, failing to run the offense, poor transition play, poor ball movement, poor defense. I was hoping that at some point during the game we would figure out that Creighton's big man was left handed, but it never appeared to happen.

I hope Tim makes them run the stairs in practice today.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back