• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Corcoran

The guy below you just watched you get thrown out for kicking the crap out of someone. He will respond to back you up
Unfortunately...that didn't happen. Our replacements weren't great, by any means. We don't have the depth of talent to claim the next guy coming in will be fine and dandy.

There is a difference between playing hard and nasty and blocking until you hear the echo of the whistle, and taking two idiotic UCs that kill a critical drive.

Judging by Mickey's behavior after TC was booted, I'd bet he would thoroughly agree.

Nobody would be hailing Corcoran if we lost by one score. You can get away with that against a team like Indiana. Sometimes. Most others...not so much. Football is about discipline as much as the physical aspect of the game. As Husker fans, we should know that by now. Stupid football is losing football. Personally, I'm tired of seeing it.

Last edited:

After looking at the video of then first penalty it looked like Palmer #3 did more pushing off the pile than Corcoran. Either players effort was not a penalty IMO. The second penalty was ticky tac, IMO. Looked like The refs were looking at him specifically for a foul. Maybe the ISU players and coaches were talking to the refs about his aggressiveness? [Raiola was very aggressive when he played for NU.] I hope HCMJ talks to Corcoran doesn't do anything that will tone down his play. We need aggressive O and D lineman to win in the trenches. It's always a battle there that needs to be WON!
Absolutely!
That's why good Defensive coaches call them War Daddies because they battle in those trenches.

Learning to be aggressive within the rules is hard sometimes. That attempted head slap shouldn't have resulted in an ejection. Throw the flag, sure. Move on.

You could see it across the line. Piper giving people a little extra, Hickson even Banks after Corcoran's ejection was a bit salty.

On the overall officiating, it was very uneven and it was that way for both teams. Flags that should have stayed in their pockets didn't and some pretty blatant fouls didn't get called. They we're way too big a part of the game. Reminded me of some old NBA games where the officiating crew felt like they were part of the product, but this was just incompetence.
It's this and a few more reasons why I dont watch the NBA anymore.
When a player holds the ball above his head and pivots his elbows and strikes another player with an elbow and the foul goes to the cut portion of the body hit by an elbow, I'm done.

They weren't all on him and I feel the refs were being a little quick to throw a flag. I have total confidence that HC Joseph will fix this. On to New Jersey for the start of a win streak!
Exactly my point, the refs were quick to throw the flag so you can't put yourself in that position

Are these the referees you are looking for:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Yep
You have to look at it as a whole. On the first play he held off but the ref was behind him and it probably looked worse than it was.

He is basically on notice at that point and is getting watched closely and then does this on the very next play. It's clearly a foul and at a minimum 15 yd hands to the face that you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt being called on the prior play.

This isn't aggressive, but just plain stupid play. Running into the pile after the play is over and flailing around is dumb. Swinging at a guy laying on his back 5 yards behind the play is moronic.
I wasn't defending Corcoran; merely commenting on my expectation when the ref announced he threw a punch. I expected to see a closed fist punch.

What he did is stupid and as selfish as it gets. At that point you're saying "to hell with my teammates" and for me, that's a big NO GO in team sports. Its not about you, its about the team, and nobody is above the team. You can be nasty and aggressive without being stupid.

None of what he did is necessary to win games. You can have an attitude and an edge without being dumb. I don't think I have ever seen a player break the "2 strikes and you're out" rule on two consecutive plays.
I agree, but IU was giving Casey and the RB's the business at the bottom of the pile. I've been begging for our OL to step and help their teammates out down there for years. I'm glad to see it, but I hope we never have to see it again. Hopefully he tempers it a little going forward. I'm sure some of it too was him finally getting to release some frustration from the last few years.

I don't think you can look at it as another drive stalled, in fact I'd say it was the first time in 4 years I've seen the OL play with a bit of a nasty attitude.

Not sure about his first penalty, but his QB had just had his head twisted around by the facemask enough he wasn't acting quite right when he went down in a pile so he went in to protect him. The slap for the second one, slap not a punch, may well have been the same guy that grabbed the face mask earlier or was on top of Thompson in the pile.

But no matter what the circumstances were, it was nice to see someone on the OL doing something besides standing over the QB helping him up after another sack. The OL playing with an attitude may lead to a penalty or two while they learn to play with an attitude while still being in control, it's been a while since anyone has done that around here.
Fair enough and not all PF penalties are equal. Still bruised from so many years of penalty prone teams... Hopefully, with a referee team that isn't so flag happy, that level of tenacity can turn into yards and points.

Some of those penalties are really an indication of a couple of things. First, we're not a team that's going to get the benefit of the doubt anymore... we're not good enough.

Second, it shows how much college football has changed. If today's officials were in charge of Husker games in the 1990s, we would have had 30 penalties per game by ourselves... not including the targeting fouls we would have racked up.

It's this and a few more reasons why I dont watch the NBA anymore.
When a player holds the ball above his head and pivots his elbows and strikes another player with an elbow and the foul goes to the cut portion of the body hit by an elbow, I'm done.
When is the last time you watched? That will be a flagrant 1 and if not called on the floor, would likely be called under replay.

When is the last time you watched? That will be a flagrant 1 and if not called on the floor, would likely be called under replay.
Kobe Bryant in the playoffs against Sac town
That was before the ref that was fired for fixing scores

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back