• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Corcoran

I agree the refs were over zealous. The first PF he was just defending his QB. The shoving he was involved with happens all the time after a play like that. Refs normally break the guys up and do not throw flags. The 2nd penalty Turner said he was getting up and Coach Mickey said he would turn that play over to the league for review. B1G has probably the worst officiating in college football.

After looking at the video of then first penalty it looked like Palmer #3 did more pushing off the pile than Corcoran. Either players effort was not a penalty IMO. The second penalty was ticky tac, IMO. Looked like The refs were looking at him specifically for a foul. Maybe the ISU players and coaches were talking to the refs about his aggressiveness? [Raiola was very aggressive when he played for NU.] I hope HCMJ talks to Corcoran doesn't do anything that will tone down his play. We need aggressive O and D lineman to win in the trenches. It's always a battle there that needs to be WON!

Last edited:
I agree the refs were over zealous. The first PF he was just defending his QB. The shoving he was involved with happens all the time after a play like that. Refs normally break the guys up and do not throw flags. The 2nd penalty Turner said he was getting up and Coach Mickey said he would turn that play over to the league for review. B1G has probably the worst officiating in college football.

Have to wonder what the system is for training/improving refs. If one exists, accountability doesn't seem to play a large role.

A loss of 15 yards and effectively shut down another drive. Yeah, sounds like a great play to me. You must have really enjoyed the last 4 years...
I don't think you can look at it as another drive stalled, in fact I'd say it was the first time in 4 years I've seen the OL play with a bit of a nasty attitude.

Not sure about his first penalty, but his QB had just had his head twisted around by the facemask enough he wasn't acting quite right when he went down in a pile so he went in to protect him. The slap for the second one, slap not a punch, may well have been the same guy that grabbed the face mask earlier or was on top of Thompson in the pile.

But no matter what the circumstances were, it was nice to see someone on the OL doing something besides standing over the QB helping him up after another sack. The OL playing with an attitude may lead to a penalty or two while they learn to play with an attitude while still being in control, it's been a while since anyone has done that around here.

A few things:
1. The first penalty he got didn't look like he did anything... I think they messed up on the number.
2. The second penalty was aggressive, but you can find that same behavior on a lot of plays from every team. And it wasn't a punch.
3. The official said that Corcoran "ejected himself" from the game. Nonsense. Those were both judgment calls by the officials - they ejected him from the game by deciding that he was a "flagrant offender."
4. Overall, that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever watched. The conference should announce that their behavior has resulted in that crew suspending themselves.
5. Go Big Red
Almost as bad as the TAM game a few years ago, when Pelini had a blue veiner.

KLIN saying a lot of former players making remarks that although they don't condone it, they were giving nod & wink...lol... Pipeline spirit! Followed by
Jay Foreman just saying "It's easier to temper a player down than to temper them up! Cited some of his own examples. Funny.
What a great quote by Jay! I'm fine with Corc's attitude last night! Yes Mickey chewed him out but I'm sure he was also happy with his fire! We can't have linemen ejected from games but I also think that it set a tone going forward. I noticed the O line was blocking down field and holding blocks until the whistle blew and maybe for a second after! I loved the fire! GBR!

Last edited:
That, and the sheer numerosity of replays makes for a longer and less watchable game.

Much prefer the NFL system where each team has a limited number of chances to throw the red flag, and booth replays are limited.
Numerosity: Merriam-Webster, the requirement that members of a proposed class formed for a class action be so numerous as to make joinder of the members impracticable.

First one he pancaked they guy and he flopped in fine fashion. The second didnt look like what I would call a punch but it is what it is. IHCMJ chew his butt and called it good.

I was expecting a dirty punch under a pile but replay looked more like an open handed b’ slap.
You have to look at it as a whole. On the first play he held off but the ref was behind him and it probably looked worse than it was.

He is basically on notice at that point and is getting watched closely and then does this on the very next play. It's clearly a foul and at a minimum 15 yd hands to the face that you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt being called on the prior play.

This isn't aggressive, but just plain stupid play. Running into the pile after the play is over and flailing around is dumb. Swinging at a guy laying on his back 5 yards behind the play is moronic.

Screenshot_20221001_203910.jpg

Screenshot_20221002_124125.jpg

It's that kind of loose, undisciplined play that results in 30 penalties being called
They weren't all on him and I feel the refs were being a little quick to throw a flag. I have total confidence that HC Joseph will fix this. On to New Jersey for the start of a win streak!

I think Coch needs to work on technique because the line was clearly better with him out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back