• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Confirmed: Mike Anderson Out

First of all, I would like to thank MA for his hard work. He is a good man, and someone that anyone would like to have as an influence on their son. Secondly, 9 years ago I told my family and close friends that Byrne made a mistake in making MA the head coach, which was backed up by his departure and stealing of Rob C.. Now we as a fan base have to deal with the backlash of what has happened. Unfortunately, this team cannot be turned around as fast as what the football team can be. Are the tools there to do it, Yes, they are. Are the chips against a new coach, yes. The Big Ten is not a baseball conference, and it will be difficult to get the kids we need to compete nationally. However, we have the facitlities in place, and with the right coach, we can get back to the level that we all want to be.

Is that coach Will Bolt, or is it Striklin from Kent State? Or is it someone else that only God knows? Maybe it is Erstad, I don't know and neither does anyone else. All I want from the next coach is someone that is no nonsense, teaches baseball, and has a nasty attitude about winning, and never giving up, never. I like dirtbags, both at the plate and on the mound. You don't have to be a home run hittter or a strike out king to be on my team, just someone who works his tail off,and never ever gives up.

Agreed. But I have a hard time believing that Ohio State or Michigan will continue to just sit around and be irrelevant at something.

If they really cared that much about baseball they would have decided to shun irrelevancy a long time ago. Nebraska all of a sudden joining the Big 10...is THAT the impetus to "invest" in baseball? And what's the payoff? They can plow money into a program (obviously they have it) but it may just be good money after bad.

Nebraska only "invested" in baseball because they got lucky in hiring a great coach like Van Horn. They played in an embarrasing "stadium" in front of friends and family before Van Horn built something from absolutely nothing. Does anyone think Haymarket or top of the heap coaching salararies happen if Sanders-like results ensued after hiring Van Horn? No way. It would have remained a filler program...like it is in the Big 10.

Point being...Big 10 schools don't really care about baseball as evidenced by their scholarship rule and the fact that they have NOT "invested" to date. MAYBE Nebraska's presence will coax them into caring...maybe.

Last edited:
If they really cared that much about baseball they would have decided to shun irrelevancy a long time ago. Nebraska all of a sudden joining the Big 10...is THAT the impetus to "invest" in baseball? And what's the payoff? They can plow money into a program (obviously they have it) but it may just be good money after bad.

Nebraska only "invested" in baseball because they got lucky in hiring a great coach like Van Horn. They played in an embarrasing "stadium" in front of friends and family before Van Horn built something from absolutely nothing. Does anyone think Haymarket or top of the heap coaching salararies happen if Sanders-like results ensued after hiring Van Horn? No way. It would have remained a filler program...like it is in the Big 10.

Point being...Big 10 schools don't really care about baseball as evidenced by their scholarship rule and the fact that they have NOT "invested" to date. MAYBE Nebraska's presence will coax them into caring...maybe.

I agree in general with this. When I was in school there 88-92, it was free to go watch them play at Buck Beltzer under Sanders. We didn't show up much at all even having it be free to students. That said, I certainly enjoyed Van Horn coming and waking things up and the commitment has been made now so my hope is that they will work to keep it going as successfully as possible.

One thing, I keep hearing about this B10 baseball scholarship rule. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

I agree in general with this. When I was in school there 88-92, it was free to go watch them play at Buck Beltzer under Sanders. We didn't show up much at all even having it be free to students. That said, I certainly enjoyed Van Horn coming and waking things up and the commitment has been made now so my hope is that they will work to keep it going as successfully as possible.

One thing, I keep hearing about this B10 baseball scholarship rule. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

You give me too much credit. ;) I THINK the rule is that if you have a player drafted as a Jr. you can't fill that scholarship for the next year. So, as I understand it, the programs are incented to not exactly go after guys that have a shot at getting drafted as Juniors....you lose a couple/three and I imagine you could really be hosed the next year.

here ya go DBP

I see what your saying and it may very well happen that way.

I just suspect that Ohio State and Michigan, in particular, will not want to stand by and "allow" Nebraska to come in and "take over" their conference in any sport. Baseball included.

But hell, I could just be totally wrong there.

Just checking in.........Is MA still fired?...........................................GOOD!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back