• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Confirmed: Mike Anderson Out

I admit...I don't follow Husker Baseball with a microscope. I know the kids' names and know if they win or lose but am not dedicated to knowing all the stats, etc...I get too busy with the high school and Legion teams I do book and stats for here...so don't have the same outlook as the rest of you on MA but when I read this I got to thinking it didn't sound too bad up till 2008. What happened to make it all go down hill ?

From the article:

"In his nine seasons, Anderson guided the Nebraska program to a 337-196-2 record, including two Big 12 titles (2003 and 2005) and the school's third College World Series appearance in 2005. In that season, Nebraska won a school-record 57 games and the Huskers captured the program's first CWS victory.

Anderson guided Nebraska to NCAA Regional appearances in five of his first six seasons, and the Huskers won 40-or-more games four times during his tenure, most recently in 2008. Anderson coached a total of 22 first-team all-conference selections, while 52 of his players signed pro contracts. Under Anderson, 72 players earned academic All-Big 12 honors, including a league-high 15 selections in 2011.

Anderson spent eight years as an assistant coach for the Huskers from 1995 to 2002, before taking over as the head coach in June of 2002."

I admit...I don't follow Husker Baseball with a microscope. I know the kids' names and know if they win or lose but am not dedicated to knowing all the stats, etc...I get too busy with the high school and Legion teams I do book and stats for here...so don't have the same outlook as the rest of you on MA but when I read this I got to thinking it didn't sound too bad up till 2008. What happened to make it all go down hill ?

From the article:

"In his nine seasons, Anderson guided the Nebraska program to a 337-196-2 record, including two Big 12 titles (2003 and 2005) and the school's third College World Series appearance in 2005. In that season, Nebraska won a school-record 57 games and the Huskers captured the program's first CWS victory.

Anderson guided Nebraska to NCAA Regional appearances in five of his first six seasons, and the Huskers won 40-or-more games four times during his tenure, most recently in 2008. Anderson coached a total of 22 first-team all-conference selections, while 52 of his players signed pro contracts. Under Anderson, 72 players earned academic All-Big 12 honors, including a league-high 15 selections in 2011.

Anderson spent eight years as an assistant coach for the Huskers from 1995 to 2002, before taking over as the head coach in June of 2002."

What that article fails to point out is that he took a team recruited by Dave Van Horn and won with them. Look at what he has done with his 'own' players. We failed to appear in the post season the last 3 years and, really, havent been competetive against anyone of substance since 2006.

What that article fails to point out is that he took a team recruited by Dave Van Horn and won with them. Look at what he has done with his 'own' players. We failed to appear in the post season the last 3 years and, really, havent been competetive against anyone of substance since 2006.

Agreed. Also, when did Childress leave to go be the head man at A&M? Wasn't it about this same time? To me, we let the wrong coach go when we let Childress hit the road as well. I hope the next coach can turn our program around. It will also be interesting to see if Erstad gets a chance to be a fulltime coach with the next staff. I can't help but think he's a benefit to our program with what he brings to the table....

I don't understand why a move to the B10 could be viewed as a bad move - yes most of the good players play year-round in southern state schools - Baylor, aTm, Texas, ASU, USC, LSU ...

But NU with its facilities and support can be the king of the hill in the B10. Dominate the league and guarentee yourself virtually automatic NCAA berths. Most kids who play baseball play for two reasons:

1) Get better so that they can get drafted by MLB
2) Get to the CWS

NU can play a rugged non-conference schedule and exspose these kids to talent from Arkansas, Miss State, Long Beach State, Cal-Fullerton ... then play a conference schedule that decidely inflates the win/loss record.

Good move. Monumentally easy move (maybe not personally but certainly objectively/professionally). Now NU should go hire someone for about 1/2 what MA was making and save quite a bit of money. Unfortunately, the days of relevance for NU baseball are behind it..that is more due to the Big 10 than MA but there was no reason to pay the guy $330K for what he's done and what NU will be going forward.
You get what you pay for - go get van Horn or a Van Horn-esque type coach!

You get what you pay for - go get van Horn or a Van Horn-esque type coach!

Van Horn got the job he waited for, period. Being as he went to Arkansas, he ain't going no where, no how. He is home.

Oh, yeh, what is a "Van Horn-esque type coach? :confused: Oh, one that wins? Gotcha! No nonsense? Gotcha! Knows how to teach and coach? Gotha!

BOLT!!!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

good point. i suppose he could remain on ... if the new coach wants him there... probably a fairly big if.

You can't do much if you don't have the talent. However, I saw no indication that Erstad's coaching helped any of our hitters to improve as the season drug:(:confused: on!

first time I got on and am excited that TO pulleg the trigger. Great move by TO.

Now lets get a coach that can get the job done.

Brian Conner from Virginia?

I'd be very surprised if Conner leaves Virginia. He's built a great program in a competitive conference. Only wild card here is if he REALLY wants to come back to the mid-west for some reason. And, again, that would be a big surprise.

Van Horn got the job he waited for, period. Being as he went to Arkansas, he ain't going no where, no how. He is home.

Oh, yeh, what is a "Van Horn-esque type coach? :confused: Oh, one that wins? Gotcha! No nonsense? Gotcha! Knows how to teach and coach? Gotha!

BOLT!!!!! :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly CBob

BOLT!!!!!

Apparently, you haven't paid attention to what is going on!! This program was in a shambles, and you want Dr. Tom to give him some more years? Really? :confused:

Doing every game, I, along with a good handful of loyals, had to go thru "you-know-what" too darn long. :(

You guys crack me up....in my opinion you make the conference tournament or you have your bags packed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back