• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conferences kicking out members?

I'd bet a rather large amount of $ no team gets kicked out of the BIG. Click bait imho.
Mx2iNGVPe0C2I.gif

I agree but you are talking as if the logical common sensical business man is making those decisions … if the university presidents … wack-a-doodles who drove this conference down the COVID rabbit hole are making the decision I’m not so sure your arguments hold water.

IMO none of the original Big Ten are at risk, including Northwestern, but NU, RU and Maryland are at risk. If a good portion of the ACC such as UNC, Duke, GTech, Miami Fl, Notre Dame suggested coming as a package forcing B1G to jettison teams .. could NU be at risk?
Man you’re reaching. Lol we bring in too much money for the conference. More than all those schools you listed. Most of those schools Athletic departments are in debt. GaTech, Duke, NC, are you serious?

Man you’re reaching. Lol we bring in too much money for the conference. More than all those schools you listed. Most of those schools Athletic departments are in debt. GaTech, Duke, NC, are you serious?
Our debt or lack thereof has nothing to do with the money we bring into the conference.

Each of those schools are in a much larger metro area.
Nebraska’s fan base is aging, it’s no longer a desirable target market.
Kids playing at NU have never witnessed NUs last conference championship.

Will it happen? Maybe not, probably not but is it beyond the realm of possibility? If you don’t believe that then you aren’t being serious.

My guess is that relegation will be an alternative, although if it is the dollars, that doesn't come into play.

Our debt or lack thereof has nothing to do with the money we bring into the conference.

Will it happen? Maybe not, probably not but is it beyond the realm of possibility? If you don’t believe that then you aren’t being serious.
Most conferences have penalties for schools leaving. What are the legal requirements/costs to remover a school?

Most conferences have penalties for schools leaving. What are the legal requirements/costs to remover a school?
As we’ve learned throughout CFB contracts are made to be broken, coaches leave early, schools leave conferences and players move freely.

Im sure there are penalties in place and I’m sure if the money is right conferences will pay it … imagine the requirement from TV partners to get Notre Dame would be to drop Rutgers … the B1G would do that in a nano-second.

I normally have no issues with your posts. This one I do.

Every fan base is aging, and NU is still a desirable target market. We still bring it. It has been an awful 5-6 years if not longer. Skers still lead the news when things happen here. We still turn on TVs. This is an inferiority complex.

Ask ANY remaining team in the dumpster fire that is the B12 if they would not take NU back in a second.

Every fan base is aging, and NU is still a desirable target market. We still bring it. It has been an awful 5-6 years if not longer. Skers still lead the news when things happen here. We still turn on TVs. This is an inferiority complex.

Ask ANY remaining team in the dumpster fire that is the B12 if they would not take NU back in a second.
I don’t have specific data to share with you but Nebraska‘s population isn’t growing as compared to Texas or Florida or Georgia or Ohio. Those fan bases are in areas of the nation whose population is growing. The State of Nebraska is not, comparatively. Nebraska’s dominance in the ‘80s and ‘90s created a faction of fans not located in the State of Nebraska. It created name recognition and that is slowly fading given the two decades of irrelevance.

I disagree that every fan base is aging … Georgia’s isn’t. They’ve added countless young fans given their recent performance. Nebraska is a bit of a national draw … its TV ratings support that but much of that is resting on laurels earned a generation or two ago.

I don’t have specific data to share with you but Nebraska‘s population isn’t growing as compared to Texas or Florida or Georgia or Ohio. Those fan bases are in areas of the nation whose population is growing. The State of Nebraska is not, comparatively. Nebraska’s dominance in the ‘80s and ‘90s created a faction of fans not located in the State of Nebraska. It created name recognition and that is slowly fading given the two decades of irrelevance.

I disagree that every fan base is aging … Georgia’s isn’t. They’ve added countless young fans given their recent performance. Nebraska is a bit of a national draw … its TV ratings support that but much of that is resting on laurels earned a generation or two ago.

Here is the expanded version of those rankings [link], although one could question the validity of those numbers. Nebraska is listed at 24th, and 7th in the B1G (if you include incoming USC).

College football allegiances tend to lie in one of four factors: you lived there, you went to school there, it was passed down to you, or you picked them because you liked them.

Nebraska definitely isn't going to rank highly in the "you lived there" category based on population, but I'd venture to say Nebraska probably has the highest percentage of fan investment to population. Living in Tennessee, especially the western portion of the state, Tennessee doesn't have anywhere close to the majority of fans here, they might not even be ranked first (Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Memphis). Nebraska really isn't built that way. Other states focus more on professional sports than college (California, New York, etc.) so they don't make full use of their large populations.

"You went to school there" category is one Nebraska again will never dominate, but doesn't slack in. If you look at the top of the list, there is a pretty strong correlation of fan totals to undergrad enrollment.

"It was passed down to you" is probably the area Nebraska is the strongest in. Rabid fanbase that has had a history of success. Parents pass down the fandom to the next generation. I fall into this category. I've never lived in the state of Nebraska, and no one in my immediate family has since probably the 1950s. The fandom was passed down across the generations. Sure, you'll lose some along the way, but generational fandom can often times be the strongest.

"You picked them just because you like them" was a category Nebraska probably did well in during the 1970s-1990s. I'm going to say we haven't added nearly as many of these fans in recent years. Miami and Florida State fall into this same sort of boat too. Recent success does matter to an extent, but it is far from the only factor.

Here is the expanded version of those rankings [link], although one could question the validity of those numbers. Nebraska is listed at 24th, and 7th in the B1G (if you include incoming USC).

College football allegiances tend to lie in one of four factors: you lived there, you went to school there, it was passed down to you, or you picked them because you liked them.

Nebraska definitely isn't going to rank highly in the "you lived there" category based on population, but I'd venture to say Nebraska probably has the highest percentage of fan investment to population. Living in Tennessee, especially the western portion of the state, Tennessee doesn't have anywhere close to the majority of fans here, they might not even be ranked first (Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Memphis). Nebraska really isn't built that way. Other states focus more on professional sports than college (California, New York, etc.) so they don't make full use of their large populations.

"You went to school there" category is one Nebraska again will never dominate, but doesn't slack in. If you look at the top of the list, there is a pretty strong correlation of fan totals to undergrad enrollment.

"It was passed down to you" is probably the area Nebraska is the strongest in. Rabid fanbase that has had a history of success. Parents pass down the fandom to the next generation. I fall into this category. I've never lived in the state of Nebraska, and no one in my immediate family has since probably the 1950s. The fandom was passed down across the generations. Sure, you'll lose some along the way, but generational fandom can often times be the strongest.

"You picked them just because you like them" was a category Nebraska probably did well in during the 1970s-1990s. I'm going to say we haven't added nearly as many of these fans in recent years. Miami and Florida State fall into this same sort of boat too. Recent success does matter to an extent, but it is far from the only factor.
Very good comments and this in and of itself would be a good masters thesis subject. Nebraska is unique and it travels better than just about any program in the country … improving its profile. It also has a lot of relocated Huskers living elsewhere including CA, Texas, WI and so forth … that improves its profile.

Add to the fact that la k of other D1 programs, as well as professional franchises allows for more focus on everything NU.

At the end of the day the prototypical Husker fan is 50-ish+, white, male, and has been a fan a long long time. Thats not exactly an ideal target for TV/Streaming audiences.

Last edited:

PS Thank you for the compliment, your one of the few that do.

Last edited:

It's called winning. I live in GA FWIW. We had a bunch of people adopt NU when we were winning. UGA has a solid fan base that was starved for 42 years. Heck, I am one of the Nebraska fans being a PA guy who adopted NU. Winning cures all ills. Begin to win and watch our fan base increase. Plus, we have a lot of NU fans disillusioned with decisions made by the University. They are out there, loyal, but upset over the Solich firing, upset over the Callahan hiring, upset over the Pelini firing, upset over the Riley hiring, upset over the Frost debacle. Rhule has seized this, processed it, and wants to turn it. Those fans will come screaming back once they see the program is back in good standing. Our loyalty is second to none in college football.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back