• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conferences kicking out members?

This is pure nonsense.
And 5 years ago if someone would have claimed the magnitude of NIL I’m sure you would’ve stated it is pure nonsense. And if two years ago if someone would claimed USC and UCLA were part of the B1G you would’ve stated it is pure nonsense.

And 5 years ago if someone would have claimed the magnitude of NIL I’m sure you would’ve stated it is pure nonsense. And if two years ago if someone would claimed USC and UCLA were part of the B1G you would’ve stated it is pure nonsense.
We've talked quite a bit on HM about conference realignment. I don't recall anyone stating that USC, UCLA, or any other prominent P12 team coming to the Big 10 as being "nonsense."

Furthermore, we all knew there was going to be a push to create super conferences in college football, so their move to the B1G is anything but surprising or nonsensical.

It makes no sense to boot a blue blood like Nebraskat that still draws top 10 audiences week in and week out.

Even idiot beaurocrats know better.

Nebraska is safe.

Last edited:
We've talked quite a bit on HM about conference realignment. I don't recall anyone stating that USC, UCLA, or any other prominent P12 team coming to the Big 10 as being "nonsense."

Furthermore, we all knew there was going to be a push to create super conferences in college football, so they're move to the B1G is anything but surprising or nonsensical.

Booting a blue blood who, despite the terrible results, still draws top 10 audiences week in and week out makes zero sense.
There’s no way anyone on this board 2 years ago suggested the B1G would expand by taking in USC and UCLA. That was no where on anyone’s radar.

Also I’m not suggesting the B1G would/will kick NU out .., I suspect there are other candidates before NU. And for them to kick anyone out would be a shocking surprise but to sit here today and state that it couldn’t or won’t happen is just as fanciful.

At some point in time the escalating TV revenues are going to flatten, at some point in time the impact on skyrocketing AD Budgets is going to level out. When Fox, NBC, and ABC’s of the world come back to tell conferences listen, we are losing money and the next deal is going to be less … what happens then? What happens when there are no more schools to pilfer that significantly improves total deal values? What happens when the SEC tells its member schools their annual piece of the pie is going to drop?

Last edited:

If they didn't kick out Penn St during their kid-touching fiasco, they ain't kicking anyone out...ever.
Although I agree with the statement, that was a slightly different time. Along the same line of the child abuse at Penn State and the stupidity of the attempted cover-up, the level of tolerance of such actions has dropped significantly.

And if the Old Guard of the B1G think they are safe, I heard some people say that Michigan State should be removed from the conference based on the actions and attempted cover-up of a doctor attached to the athletic department (I can't remember his name).

As for the Big Red of Nebraska, if we treat people decently and with respect, plus continue to have the backing of the Big Green, I think we will be safe.

I wonder how true this really is and how much of it is our own insecurities causing us to perceive something that isn't there.
The fan base of the OG B1G holdovers certainly feel this way.

The inner workings of leadership … I agree might be different … but look at what happened during COVID. NU wants to play - kick ‘em out of the B1G; Iowa/tOSU want to play … ah OK let’s reevaluate. NU got kicked out of the AAU by some of the same leadership.

Nebraska is one of two P5 teams that hasn’t gone to a post season in any of the big three money sports.
Huskers just sold 80,000 tickets for a volleyball game. A growing sport. They are safe. Plus the fact that even though the big three sports are not doing well, Husker fans spend money like drunken sailors. Make it Red, put an N on it and we will shell out 35 bucks for it.

Every team goes through cycles of irrelevancy, we have just been at it for more than we like. If it comes down to not performing that takes out more than 1/4 of all teams. Not going to happen. Here is hoping The Future is bright and Red

Just out of curiosity. How long is the cycle for Husker Men's Basketball?

There’s no way anyone on this board 2 years ago suggested the B1G would expand by taking in USC and UCLA. That was no where on anyone’s radar.

Also I’m not suggesting the B1G would/will kick NU out .., I suspect there are other candidates before NU. And for them to kick anyone out would be a shocking surprise but to sit here today and state that it couldn’t or won’t happen is just as fanciful.

At some point in time the escalating TV revenues are going to flatten, at some point in time the impact on skyrocketing AD Budgets is going to level out. When Fox, NBC, and ABC’s of the world come back to tell conferences listen, we are losing money and the next deal is going to be less … what happens then? What happens when there are no more schools to pilfer that significantly improves total deal values? What happens when the SEC tells its member schools their annual piece of the pie is going to drop?
You asked in a previous post if Nebraska was at risk even if a package of ACC teams were to join the B1G. My answer was there is no threat. I stand by that. Whether someone believes that's fanciful or not, well...

Again everything you say makes sense it’s logical, common sensical … but the guys running the universities aren’t always that … the angle that concerns me is the academic side … if these university presidents could choose a UNC, Duke, Miami Fl, GTech, Notre Dame, and Virginia … institutions are with much better academic standings and in markets with larger TV viewership … well who knows.
I'm not saying it wouldn't happen. But, as you've noted, that would be a lot of nonsensical things to have happen in order to force it. I still think you'll see a 24+ team league before you see a conference start kicking out members. I believe we are very close to seeing massive changes that will entirely change the way we view conferences today. Instead of being small subsections within the NCAA, they'll combine forces to create their own professional sports leagues. The arms race has already started and I think the B1G, SEC, and one other conference will likely be all that remain.

No matter what goes down their will be teams that lose alot in conference. It's math. To achieve perfection by doing that means all of the teams will gravitate towards 0.500 and every week will be unpredictable. Then how do you pick teams to go to a playoff? This isn't going to happen.

No matter what goes down their will be teams that lose alot in conference. It's math. To achieve perfection by doing that means all of the teams will gravitate towards 0.500 and every week will be unpredictable. Then how do you pick teams to go to a playoff? This isn't going to happen.
I guess the only way I see this happening is if a conference member somehow just is causing problems with other member schools and its no longer a good fit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back