• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conferences kicking out members?

Nebraska is one of two P5 teams that hasn’t gone to a post season in any of the big three money sports.
Every team goes through cycles of irrelevancy, we have just been at it for more than we like. If it comes down to not performing that takes out more than 1/4 of all teams. Not going to happen. Here is hoping The Future is bright and Red

Hard not to laugh at this.
If I told you we could add North Carolina and Notre Dame if we got rid of Rutgers and Maryland … would you accept that swap?

I think the lawyers and bureaucrats would get rich negotiating something like this but it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility to me.

The NCAA has proven there is not a thing such as an ironclad contract. All it takes money. The egos of the B1G have always looked down upon NU.

If I told you we could add North Carolina and Notre Dame if we got rid of Rutgers and Maryland … would you accept that swap?

I think the lawyers and bureaucrats would get rich negotiating something like this but it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility to me.

The NCAA has proven there is not a thing such as an ironclad contract. All it takes money. The egos of the B1G have always looked down upon NU.
I was laughing at the thought of kicking nebraska out.

Nebraska is one of two P5 teams that hasn’t gone to a post season in any of the big three money sports.
Television money is the only thing that matters and Nebraska in the conference brings that in. B1G would be stupid to kick us out. When you have schools like Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, etc. Nebraska wouldn't be near the top of the list of teams I'd give the boot.

...in the past two years."

That's a laughably silly metric, likely generated to support the author's clickbaity article.

Yes, Joel Klatt mentioned conferences relegating teams. So every beat writer in America is probably writing the same article, driving views to their raggy newspapers and magazines.

Television money is the only thing that matters and Nebraska in the conference brings that in. B1G would be stupid to kick us out. When you have schools like Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, etc. Nebraska wouldn't be near the top of the list of teams I'd give the boot.
I agree but you are talking as if the logical common sensical business man is making those decisions … if the university presidents … wack-a-doodles who drove this conference down the COVID rabbit hole are making the decision I’m not so sure your arguments hold water.

IMO none of the original Big Ten are at risk, including Northwestern, but NU, RU and Maryland are at risk. If a good portion of the ACC such as UNC, Duke, GTech, Miami Fl, Notre Dame suggested coming as a package forcing B1G to jettison teams .. could NU be at risk?

I agree but you are talking as if the logical common sensical business man is making those decisions … if the university presidents … wack-a-doodles who drove this conference down the COVID rabbit hole are making the decision I’m not so sure your arguments hold water.

IMO none of the original Big Ten are at risk, including Northwestern, but NU, RU and Maryland are at risk. If a good portion of the ACC such as UNC, Duke, GTech, Miami Fl, Notre Dame suggested coming as a package forcing B1G to jettison teams .. could NU be at risk?
If you play under the assumption that the "OG B1G" is safe, then we would obviously be at risk, merely because there are only three schools that aren't in that group.

I would be stunned if the conference "kicked out" any school based on success on the field. I think it would take some extreme circumstances to send a school packing (like insane NCAA violations). I think you'd be more apt to see the B1G turn into a mega conference and just absorb as many teams as possible, and figure out how to make it work after the fact.

The second you start kicking out schools, you lose the trust of your member schools. The OG B1G might be safe this time around, but what happens a few years down the road when other big names want in? If I kick a team to the curb, it opens the door to be kicked to the curb down the road too.

But they do not look down upon their ratings.

If you play under the assumption that the "OG B1G" is safe, then we would obviously be at risk, merely because there are only three schools that aren't in that group.

I would be stunned if the conference "kicked out" any school based on success on the field. I think it would take some extreme circumstances to send a school packing (like insane NCAA violations). I think you'd be more apt to see the B1G turn into a mega conference and just absorb as many teams as possible, and figure out how to make it work after the fact.

The second you start kicking out schools, you lose the trust of your member schools. The OG B1G might be safe this time around, but what happens a few years down the road when other big names want in? If I kick a team to the curb, it opens the door to be kicked to the curb down the road too.
Again everything you say makes sense it’s logical, common sensical … but the guys running the universities aren’t always that … the angle that concerns me is the academic side … if these university presidents could choose a UNC, Duke, Miami Fl, GTech, Notre Dame, and Virginia … institutions are with much better academic standings and in markets with larger TV viewership … well who knows.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back