• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Commit #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinton Childs played for the Omaha Beef for a bit. I remember those guys, you didn't hope for an injury but it was interesting to see guys basically walk out onto the field with no dropoff from the previous RB. Benning and Childs were really good punt and kick returners too.

That was a stable to be proud of. I talk to Childs often now a day dealing with some gang prevention programs in Omaha. Benning I see every once in a while at coaching conventions and such. Green I hear from every blue moon when he goes home. I don't know Sims, personally. And Phillips..........well, he's been gone for a while....:lol:

But yes, I see the talent we have currently able to get to that level if they push each other. Would love to see these guys grow into something great.

I keep hearing Mik'l Severe on 1620 say Burkhead would be buried on that depth chart. That may be so...he may not be much better, if at all, than Benning or Childs. But his argument (largely) was that Benning went for something like 5.8 yards a carry and Rex is somewhere around 4.8 (i could be off on what he was saying the averages were). My point is behind THAT line I guarantee...absolutely...that Rex would be averaging more than 4.8. Sure, you have to have a good system. But that "System" back then was just as dead in the water with poor/average OL play as any other system.

Yea, I was listening to that also. I wanted to call in so bad. I think that was the dumbest comment I've heard that whole day. Burkhead is a beast of a back. The "game breakers" of that stable were only Green and Phillips, maybe Childs but all good backs. Burkhead behind that line would be something serious. He's has been averaging 4.8 ypc behind a line that, just recently, has been starting to gel. I see Burkhead and Helu as being two of the best backs we have had on our roster, ever. Comparing Burkhead to either of those guys is like comparing Barry Sanders playing behind the Detroit Lions O-Line to Emmet Smith behind Dallas Cowboy's O-Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back