• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Staff Changes & Tracker

How many coaches are left to hire? Which positions? I have been a bit out of the loop on the recent hiring activity. Any ideas on the WR coach? QB coach?
Looks like TE coach as well. LB I think?

First page should have it.

It was hard to get a read on Raiola because it was such a weird season. It was pretty clear at the beginning of the season that Frost was unhappy with the direction of the offense under Whipple, and it's highly likely that Frost became much more involved after the Northwestern loss.

After rushing for just 110 yards against the Wildcats, the Huskers ran for over 500 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry over the next 2 games.

Frost was then fired, and the offense hit the skids. The Whipple hire was, in a word, disastrous. We had a 4 game stretch in Oct-Nov in which we scored less than 40 points. No, not 40 points per game, but 40 points total. It was a complete failure... during that stretch, we ran for less than 90 yards per game and averaged less than 3 yards per carry. The passing game didn't fare any better, completing less than 50% and never reaching even 200 yards in a single game.

Whether by design or by chance, Casey Thompson also rarely made anything happen with his feet - he finished the season with negative rushing yards.

Some of the putrid offensive performance certainly falls on the offensive line, but I think the majority of it falls on Whipple. Hiring Whipple mine have been Frost's biggest mistake/failure.
Spot on.

I guess I still don't know what to think about it. If it works he's a genius, if not people will say "I told you so". It looks to have potential but then it looks similar to what we were doing with DCEC. I think the difference is going to be the teachers and athletes this year. The formation likely isn't will determine our success.

Updated first post for report of new staffers Mike Wallace and Jarrett Wishon, sounds like both are back office or support staff, or GA's, something like that, and for reports that Sims, Guinta, and Callaghan were with recruits on Saturday, implying they are being retained. Not totally sure, though, because while Sims and Callaghan's staff bios are still online, Guinta's was removed....?

UPDATE: Guinta's staff bio has reappeared on the official university site.

------------
If wanting a clue on Wishon's role, he was "assistant to the head coach" in an off-field-role for Rhule with the Carolina Panthers. Whatever the new title may be, he's on the ground in his new job at Nebraska now.

Wallace, meanwhile, was on Rhule's staffs at Temple and Baylor. He was a player personnel director for the Bears while Rhule was the head coach there.

Others who have been on the Husker staff staff who were also with the recruits at the Nebraska basketball game Saturday included Andrew Sims, Vince Guinta and Ryan Callaghan.

------------

Last edited:
So, I guess we are waiting on the announcement of three assistants at this point?

WR
QB
LB

I'd bet we don't hear any more till the end of next week. College coaches tend to switch jobs just after convincing a bunch of kids to play for them at their previous school

Depends on which Keith Williams you are thinking. This isn't the WR coach. This one is Director of Player Personnel for Nebeaska.
Well this is certainly good to know, lol, I didn't see his name on the university's football staff page when putting the back office assistants on the first post, was it not there or did I just miss it? Adding it now.

Just the usual reminder, to everyone here, that although I do my very level best to keep the first post of these threads up to date, I have no special sources of info, and really depend on others to add posts to the threads with news so we can keep the updates current. If you guys know something, say something! Thanks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back