• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Staff Changes & Tracker

It was hard to get a read on Raiola because it was such a weird season. It was pretty clear at the beginning of the season that Frost was unhappy with the direction of the offense under Whipple, and it's highly likely that Frost became much more involved after the Northwestern loss.

After rushing for just 110 yards against the Wildcats, the Huskers ran for over 500 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry over the next 2 games.

Frost was then fired, and the offense hit the skids. The Whipple hire was, in a word, disastrous. We had a 4 game stretch in Oct-Nov in which we scored less than 40 points. No, not 40 points per game, but 40 points total. It was a complete failure... during that stretch, we ran for less than 90 yards per game and averaged less than 3 yards per carry. The passing game didn't fare any better, completing less than 50% and never reaching even 200 yards in a single game.

Whether by design or by chance, Casey Thompson also rarely made anything happen with his feet - he finished the season with negative rushing yards.

Some of the putrid offensive performance certainly falls on the offensive line, but I think the majority of it falls on Whipple. Hiring Whipple mine have been Frost's biggest mistake/failure.
All good points.

Important to note, we played a bunch of subpar to rotten defenses early in the season. Not surprising we were significantly more productive going against bad defenses.

Oklahoma is really the outlier, but not surprising considering Frost was fired less than a week before that game, and some coaching rolls changed in short notice. Following a bye week, we scored 35 against another bad defense in Indiana (fell right in line with the points scored in our first three games against bad defenses).

The final 7 opponents all had much better defenses than the first 5.

Total Defense and Rushing Defense Rankings of Nebraska's opponents (and points scored by Nebraska):

Northwestern 69th/111th (28 points scored)
North Dakota 75th/77th (FCS, 7-5, no playoff) (38 points)
Georgia Southern 129th/129th (42 points)

Oklahoma 120th/109th (14 points)

Indiana 119th/100th (35 points)

Rutgers 36th/53rd (14 points)
Purdue 37th/41st (37 points)

Illinois 2nd/8th (9 points)
Minnesota 5th/14th (13 points)
Michigan 3rd/3rd (3 points)

Wisconsin 13th/12th (14 points)

Iowa 4th/13th (24 points)

I'm certainly not excusing Whipple. I hated the hire from the start. But our offensive production in the early season was boosted by the poor defenses we faced. Flip the schedule around (meaning, start with Iowa and move backwards from there), and I highly doubt our offense would have been anywhere nearly as good as it appeared early on.
I would expect a dropoff in production, but it was really dramatic. It's not a direct apples-to-apples comparison, but for some perspective: the 2021 Husker offense rushed for under 100 yards exactly once (vs. OU, a pretty good team) and passed for under 200 yards once (vs. Iowa, with a backup QB). We were held under 20 points only twice, against Ohio State and Oklahoma.

The 2022 offense after Frost was fired was downright awful. We averaged just 18 points per game against a schedule that included just one team (UM) that finished the regular season in the top 25. That's even worse than the 2009 offense, widely considered to be one of the worst we've had at Nebraska.

I think he is hiring guys that will pull the rope in the same direction all while recruiting their collective guts out. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'm assuming year 1 will stink like his other stops. I'm guess 2 and 3 are where we will know if we got something or not.
I think one big difference about year one this time around is the portal. It should make flipping the roster a lot easier and quicker. So I would expect year one to be a lot better this time than it was at his other stops. I hope so anyway.

Important to note, we played a bunch of subpar to rotten defenses early in the season. Not surprising we were significantly more productive going against bad defenses.

Oklahoma is really the outlier, but not surprising considering Frost was fired less than a week before that game, and some coaching rolls changed in short notice. Following a bye week, we scored 35 against another bad defense in Indiana (fell right in line with the points scored in our first three games against bad defenses).

The final 7 opponents all had much better defenses than the first 5.

Total Defense and Rushing Defense Rankings of Nebraska's opponents (and points scored by Nebraska):

Northwestern 69th/111th (28 points scored)
North Dakota 75th/77th (FCS, 7-5, no playoff) (38 points)
Georgia Southern 129th/129th (42 points)

Oklahoma 120th/109th (14 points)

Indiana 119th/100th (35 points)

Rutgers 36th/53rd (14 points)
Purdue 37th/41st (37 points)

Illinois 2nd/8th (9 points)
Minnesota 5th/14th (13 points)
Michigan 3rd/3rd (3 points)

Wisconsin 13th/12th (14 points)

Iowa 4th/13th (24 points)

I'm certainly not excusing Whipple. I hated the hire from the start. But our offensive production in the early season was boosted by the poor defenses we faced. Flip the schedule around (meaning, start with Iowa and move backwards from there), and I highly doubt our offense would have been anywhere nearly as good as it appeared early on.
1670518433303.png

Why is no one talking about the Illinois DC as our target? My goodness
Ryan Walters was talked about. I have no idea if Rhule talked to him, but I’ve seen him mentioned. He was also mentioned as a candidate for the Colorado head coaching job that Neon Deion got………..I would have chosen Walters, but I’m an old school, run the ball, defense wins championships kind of guy.

Any reason all of those guys have the same email address? I thought Omar had something to do with recruiting and talent.
All of their e-mails are screened, been that way for some time is my understanding.

Can you imagine Rhule having a public e-mail address? It would be worthless as he'd never be able to sort through them

Ryan Walters was talked about. I have no idea if Rhule talked to him, but I’ve seen him mentioned. He was also mentioned as a candidate for the Colorado head coaching job that Neon Deion got………..I would have chosen Walters, but I’m an old school, run the ball, defense wins championships kind of guy.
I saw him linked to Colorado but very minimal noise (if any) about him being the NU DC. IMO, he is more likely to come here than Leonhard.
If I were Purdue, he’d be on the list of candidates.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back