• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Staff Changes & Tracker

I think he is hiring guys that will pull the rope in the same direction all while recruiting their collective guts out. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'm assuming year 1 will stink like his other stops. I'm guess 2 and 3 are where we will know if we got something or not.

Last edited:

I wonder what the salaries are for asst. coaches. Here are my guesses - Satterfield - $900,000, Ed Foley - $600,000, Evan Cooper - $500,000, Terrance Knighton - $400,000, Donovan Raiola - $400,000 - Rob Dvoracek - $400,000, EJ Barthel - $400,000. That is $3.6 million with 3 hires to go. So assume there is between 3- 4 million left for the next 3 hires.
If we are paying much more than your guesses, then we are being foolish with our money. That's not to say that some or any of these guy are bad hires, but most of them do not have the track record to legitimately command more than those already-generous salaries. Compensate them fairly but not excessively. Then if these guys come in and kill it with recruiting and development and it translates to some on-field success, I am all for them being compensated even more generously.

It was hard to get a read on Raiola because it was such a weird season. It was pretty clear at the beginning of the season that Frost was unhappy with the direction of the offense under Whipple, and it's highly likely that Frost became much more involved after the Northwestern loss.

After rushing for just 110 yards against the Wildcats, the Huskers ran for over 500 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry over the next 2 games.

Frost was then fired, and the offense hit the skids. The Whipple hire was, in a word, disastrous. We had a 4 game stretch in Oct-Nov in which we scored less than 40 points. No, not 40 points per game, but 40 points total. It was a complete failure... during that stretch, we ran for less than 90 yards per game and averaged less than 3 yards per carry. The passing game didn't fare any better, completing less than 50% and never reaching even 200 yards in a single game.

Whether by design or by chance, Casey Thompson also rarely made anything happen with his feet - he finished the season with negative rushing yards.

Some of the putrid offensive performance certainly falls on the offensive line, but I think the majority of it falls on Whipple. Hiring Whipple mine have been Frost's biggest mistake/failure.

While true let’s not forget that in those days it wasn’t uncommon for booster groups to buy coaches paid up whole life policies and annuities that didn’t count towards their salaries.
yeah, i read an article where when he ran for congress, he had one of the largest stock portfolios of all congress members. hes not hurting for money.

It was hard to get a read on Raiola because it was such a weird season. It was pretty clear at the beginning of the season that Frost was unhappy with the direction of the offense under Whipple, and it's highly likely that Frost became much more involved after the Northwestern loss.

After rushing for just 110 yards against the Wildcats, the Huskers ran for over 500 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry over the next 2 games.

Frost was then fired, and the offense hit the skids. The Whipple hire was, in a word, disastrous. We had a 4 game stretch in Oct-Nov in which we scored less than 40 points. No, not 40 points per game, but 40 points total. It was a complete failure... during that stretch, we ran for less than 90 yards per game and averaged less than 3 yards per carry. The passing game didn't fare any better, completing less than 50% and never reaching even 200 yards in a single game.

Whether by design or by chance, Casey Thompson also rarely made anything happen with his feet - he finished the season with negative rushing yards.

Some of the putrid offensive performance certainly falls on the offensive line, but I think the majority of it falls on Whipple. Hiring Whipple mine have been Frost's biggest mistake/failure.

Important to note, we played a bunch of subpar to rotten defenses early in the season. Not surprising we were significantly more productive going against bad defenses.

Oklahoma is really the outlier, but not surprising considering Frost was fired less than a week before that game, and some coaching rolls changed in short notice. Following a bye week, we scored 35 against another bad defense in Indiana (fell right in line with the points scored in our first three games against bad defenses).

The final 7 opponents all had much better defenses than the first 5.

Total Defense and Rushing Defense Rankings of Nebraska's opponents (and points scored by Nebraska):

Northwestern 69th/111th (28 points scored)
North Dakota 75th/77th (FCS, 7-5, no playoff) (38 points)
Georgia Southern 129th/129th (42 points)

Oklahoma 120th/109th (14 points)

Indiana 119th/100th (35 points)

Rutgers 36th/53rd (14 points)
Purdue 37th/41st (37 points)

Illinois 2nd/8th (9 points)
Minnesota 5th/14th (13 points)
Michigan 3rd/3rd (3 points)

Wisconsin 13th/12th (14 points)

Iowa 4th/13th (24 points)

I'm certainly not excusing Whipple. I hated the hire from the start. But our offensive production in the early season was boosted by the poor defenses we faced. Flip the schedule around (meaning, start with Iowa and move backwards from there), and I highly doubt our offense would have been anywhere nearly as good as it appeared early on.

I'm in the same boat on Raiola. I just don't know and have to trust Rhule has done his research and things he's the right guy. Also like you, I pin most of my wonderings on Raiola on Whipple's offense.

Against the meat of our schedule Whipple had one player that made the opposing teams nervous and if he couldn't get the ball to that one player, we weren't going to move the ball well or score points. He did have some really interesting route combinations that sure looked like they'd create more bad handoffs in the opposing secondary and more opportunities, but he'd miraculously let the defense off with another delayed draw call or we'd shoot ourselves in the foot otherwise.

Very little experience at several of the positions. Our offensive line coach now has just one year D1 experience. Before that was just an assistant to the position coach, not a position coach himself.

Knighton and Dvoracek are only assistant position coaches in NFL. Not the actual position coach.

that makes for a total of one year of being a true position coach experience among the three of them? Am I looking at the resumes wrong? Being an assistant means you don’t have the responsibility of results that the true position coach has. Kind of like being resident in training compared to a true practicing physician.
You can add Barthell to that list. One year as rb coach at UConn.

I’ll trust Ruhle to have the right plan but I am surprised how inexperienced many on the staff are.

On retaining Raiola, I wonder if there's any chance Rhule brings someone on as a co-OL coach? Seems a little excessive for a position coach, but then again, if there's a group that needed to be coached up more it'd be the OL.

I think he is hiring guys that will pull the rope in the same direction all while recruiting their collective guts out. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I'm assuming year 1 will stink like his other stops. I'm guess 2 and 3 are where we will know if we got something or not.
That certainly is the narrative.

Frost had way more mistakes and failures that topped hiring Whipple.

Important to note, we played a bunch of subpar to rotten defenses early in the season. Not surprising we were significantly more productive going against bad defenses.

Oklahoma is really the outlier, but not surprising considering Frost was fired less than a week before that game, and some coaching rolls changed in short notice. Following a bye week, we scored 35 against another bad defense in Indiana (fell right in line with the points scored in our first three games against bad defenses).

The final 7 opponents all had much better defenses than the first 5.

Total Defense and Rushing Defense Rankings of Nebraska's opponents (and points scored by Nebraska):

Northwestern 69th/111th (28 points scored)
North Dakota 75th/77th (FCS, 7-5, no playoff) (38 points)
Georgia Southern 129th/129th (42 points)

Oklahoma 120th/109th (14 points)

Indiana 119th/100th (35 points)

Rutgers 36th/53rd (14 points)
Purdue 37th/41st (37 points)

Illinois 2nd/8th (9 points)
Minnesota 5th/14th (13 points)
Michigan 3rd/3rd (3 points)

Wisconsin 13th/12th (14 points)

Iowa 4th/13th (24 points)

I'm certainly not excusing Whipple. I hated the hire from the start. But our offensive production in the early season was boosted by the poor defenses we faced. Flip the schedule around (meaning, start with Iowa and move backwards from there), and I highly doubt our offense would have been anywhere nearly as good as it appeared early on.
Part of our poor offensive production against better defenses had to do with Casey Thompson being injured. Of course, I put this lack of production on Whipple, too. The blame for failure to have more than one serviceable QB goes to the QB coach and OC……..

Merged the "changes so far" thread into the sticky'd staff changes and tracker thread, left expiring redirect.

But can they coach & develop?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back