• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

As I mentioned before, I don’t even know if Lue would want to coach in college. I think the people who say he couldn’t win here are wrong though. He’d win here.

As I mentioned before, I don’t even know if Lue would want to coach in college. I think the people who say he couldn’t win here are wrong though. He’d win here.

For those who have their doubts about his qualifications, I’d suggest you browse Ty’s stats, both in college and in the pros. Notice a few things that stick out:

-the balance in his game, especially in college. He scored, distributed, had a high number of steals, and even rebounded. He’s in the top 10 in most of the categories for records.

-he was better in the second half, than the first. He was also better in conference and tournament games. That means he’s a grinder, a fighter, he knows when it’s important to step up. That’s a fantastic trait, and not everyone has it.

-he had a LONG career in the NBA, especially at his position. PG is predicated on speed, and we don’t get faster after 25, but Lue stuck around. Why? Because he’s smart. Smart will carry beyond those physical limitations.

-he’s experienced the game, both as a star and as a role player. Not everyone can do that, much less be successful in both roles. He can bring that to a team, and help guys who might struggle with changes in their roles.

-he’s been coaching guys, many no older than our upperclassmen, for the last 10 years. He connects well, which is also indicated by his ability to stick on so many teams when his skills were diminished. He’s a guy people wanted to keep around, because he was a solid mentor even as a player.

He may not have an interest, but he isn’t some guy coaching because he’s struggling to accept he’s not still able to play, or he’s got nothing else. He could sit on a pile of cash and all but live off the interest and investments. He loves the game, and I think he wants to get back to being a teacher and mentor.

Last edited:
For those who have their doubts about his qualifications, I’d suggest you browse Ty’s stats, both in college and in the pros. Notice a few things that stick out:

-the balance in his game, especially in college. He scored, distributed, had a high number of steals, and even rebounded. He’s in the top 10 in most of the categories for records.

-he was better in the second half, than the first. He was also better in conference and tournament games. That means he’s a grinder, a fighter, he knows when it’s important to step up. That’s a fantastic trait, and not everyone has it.

-he had a LONG career in the NBA, especially at his position. PG is predicated on speed, and we don’t get faster after 25, but Lue stuck around. Why? Because he’s smart. Smart will carry beyond those physical limitations.

-he’s experienced the game, both as a star and as a role player. Not everyone can do that, much less be successful in both roles. He can bring that to a team, and help guys who might struggle with changes in their roles.

-he’s been coaching guys, many no older than our upperclassmen, for the last 10 years. He connects well, which is also indicated by his ability to stick on so many teams when his skills were diminished. He’s a guy people wanted to keep around, because he was a solid mentor even as a player.

He may not have an interest, but he isn’t some guy coaching because he’s struggling to accept he’s not still able to play, or he’s got nothing else. He could sit on a pile of cash and all but live off the interest and investments. He loves the game, and I think he wants to get back to being a teacher and mentor.

I love Tyronn Lue. One of my favorite players ever (and most certainly, one of the top ten to ever wear the Husker uniform).

That's a great analysis and solid argument you gave in favor of Lue. And I certainly won't dismiss the idea of Lue coaching -- he just wouldn't be my first choice. But he'd make the list.

I think it ultimately comes down to whether or not he wants to work with young people -- most who will have no professional career -- and deal with the rigors of recruiting.

I do think coaching in the NBA is quite a bit different than college -- and maybe a bigger difference than any major team sport at the two levels. A successful NBA coach is almost always going to be one that can create a chemistry out of massive egos. Keeping everyone happy. And I think no athletes have bigger egos than NBA players. It's a one-on-one sport with only five players on the court on each side -- and uniforms that let everyone know who you are. NBA defenses are almost always man-to-man -- zone defenses are rare.

Not that I think Lue isn't capable of coaching in college -- but he'll need the desire, no doubt about that. I think a college basketball coach can make a tremendous difference in the quality of the product. In the NBA, I think you could let a lot of those teams play minus any coach on the bench, and it wouldn't make a lot of difference. Veteran star players tend to be coaches anyhow.

I think it ultimately comes down to whether or not he wants to work with young people -- most who will have no professional career -- and deal with the rigors of recruiting.

Just a reminder, the NBA starts it’s glorified scrimmages in July in the form of summer leagues. Preseason can officially start in September, and the playoffs end in June. I’m thinking the rigors of recruiting, especially when you can have assistants do a good deal of the work, won’t seem too awful.

I have liked this thread as well

The only thing about Hoiberg was he was going to the timberwolves after Thibodeau was fired. I just looked Minnesota is just waiting for the end of the Season to make it official. Nothing I have read in this thread changes that narrative. Unless people on here have inside information I am not privy too.

It really doesn't matter who we hire. We have no idea who will work out until a few years in We've usually tried the smaller school head coach. It just hasn't worked out. But I think that is probably the most proven path overall across the nation. You can find an example of every category of potential candidate that has worked out. I would guess the former highly successful coach at another school tends to work out less often then not. Sure there are examples. But I say keep taking a crack at smaller school coaches until one hits or at a power school assistant. I don't want someone else's retread. Let's find our own legend.

I think it's time to go with an assistant from an elite team. We've done the mid-major thing over and over without success. I guess you could argue we're due to hit one but I'd prefer we try something different. Lue would be an interesting hire. There's some potential but also some concerns, both of which have been laid out nicely in this thread. He should be a part of the conversation.

I think it's time to go with an assistant from an elite team. We've done the mid-major thing over and over without success. I guess you could argue we're due to hit one but I'd prefer we try something different. Lue would be an interesting hire. There's some potential but also some concerns, both of which have been laid out nicely in this thread. He should be a part of the conversation.
I like this idea - but I'm kind of stuck wondering if Michael Lewis isn't the best assistant that we could lure. I think he's going to be a top coach, and I'm not the only one. He played for Bobby Knight, he's been around a lot of good basketball. When offensive plays happen, odds are he's called them. I know it sounds crazy, but I like Mike.

I like this idea - but I'm kind of stuck wondering if Michael Lewis isn't the best assistant that we could lure. I think he's going to be a top coach, and I'm not the only one. He played for Bobby Knight, he's been around a lot of good basketball. When offensive plays happen, odds are he's called them. I know it sounds crazy, but I like Mike.

It would be an unconventional move to fire the head coach to hire one of his assistants but, if he's the right guy, so be it. It does seem like he has a strong reputation. I'd give him a look if I were Moos. I'd also ask him how a Michael Lewis coached team would be different from a Tim Miles coached team.

As much as I liked the Moos hire for getting football out of the ditch, I'm not sure how good his basketball radar is.

Yeah, there are some decent ones out there for sure.

One guy who I really, really like is Ron Sanchez. He was a big part of Virginia’s success over the years and recruited a large chunk of their recent teams. He’s at Charlotte now but I bet we could yank him out of there. It wouldn’t be a perfect fit in terms of a Midwest or Big 10 footprint hire, but the man is one of the few out there that can coach and recruit.

It would be an unconventional move to fire the head coach to hire one of his assistants but, if he's the right guy, so be it. It does seem like he has a strong reputation. I'd give him a look if I were Moos. I'd also ask him how a Michael Lewis coached team would be different from a Tim Miles coached team.

As much as I liked the Moos hire for getting football out of the ditch, I'm not sure how good his basketball radar is.

Realistically though, Frost was the obvious candidate for Nebraska -- for any AD. And from what I recall Frost saying, it was ultimately Tom Osborne who persuaded Frost enough to return to Nebraska -- and that he probably wouldn't be our coach now minus a talk with Tom.

Realistically though, Frost was the obvious candidate for Nebraska -- for any AD. And from what I recall Frost saying, it was ultimately Tom Osborne who persuaded Frost enough to return to Nebraska -- and that he probably wouldn't be our coach now minus a talk with Tom.
So, Tom’s only good coaching hire came years after he retired?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back