• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

Making the tournament isn’t “upside?”

Miles isn’t long for Lincoln, so why not try to do something to save the season for Palmer, Watson, and Copeland? Nobody in the coaching profession interested in this job would be put off by that.

You aren’t going to make the tournament when you fire a very popular coach in a totally disrespectful manner. Kids aren’t suddenly going to perk up, do a 180, and magically become better shooters.

It’s extremely shortsighted to think some million to 1 shot of firing a coach and seeing a complete turnaround, is a better play than NOT poisoning the image of the program or coaching position. Play the season, make a decision.

You aren’t going to make the tournament when you fire a very popular coach in a totally disrespectful manner. Kids aren’t suddenly going to perk up, do a 180, and magically become better shooters.

It’s extremely shortsighted to think some million to 1 shot of firing a coach and seeing a complete turnaround, is a better play than NOT poisoning the image of the program or coaching position. Play the season, make a decision.
This assumes that the players respect and trust Miles to put them in a position to succeed. Past transfers and player interviews suggest otherwise.

Just a reminder, from a Michigan sportswriter, that there is no reason at all that we can't attract a successful, in-demand coach....(see final two sentences in the quote for the punch line).
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...su-three-quick-takes-couch-column/2609602002/
Nebraska is how a football school should do hoops
Penn State, take notice. Or any school that views life through the lens of its football program, but would like to start something in hoops and bring some sizzle to a long winter. Nebraska is how you do it. They’ve made basketball a thing.

The Huskers haven’t won enough to credit winning for the buzz. They’ve won just enough to keep the community’s interest and to increase expectations. It starts with the arena, Pinnacle Bank, which opened in 2013. It has a glitzy, big-time feel to it while pulling off a cozy vibe. Not easy to do. It helps that it's in the middle of a desirable nightlife and hotel district near downtown.

I haven’t seen a school with so much football tradition and emphasis — and so little relevant basketball history — do hoops this well. There’s a reason Tim Miles is on the hot seat. You can win here now. You should win here.

Last edited:

I have supported TM in the past, but recent comments by him leave me thinking that a change may be in order. He seems unable to get the team to focus during practice and in games. Is it because he and the other coaches are unable to focus? I don't know. There is a depth problem but there are also some pretty talented players that were expected to get them to the tournament., which seems nearly impossible now.

Last edited:
FWIW - I think Tim Miles is a good recruiter, very solid defensive coach, and brings all the fight and intensity you could ask for in pretty much every facet of the program. Miles is trying to become a better coach. Where he doesn't excel is the bench, and offense in general, and roster management. I don't think Mike Riley checked any of those boxes except for recruiting, and that's a maybe.

I know transfers are a "thing" in college basketball. but it seemed like Miles's best players were almost always transfers in. I don't know what that says about recruiting. Sure there have been exceptions with Watson, Webster, Shields, etc.

I know transfers are a "thing" in college basketball. but it seemed like Miles's best players were almost always transfers in. I don't know what that says about recruiting. Sure there have been exceptions with Watson, Webster, Shields, etc.

I just hope we can hang onto TM's recruits after he's gone.

I just hope we can hang onto TM's recruits after he's gone.

Yeah, that bench is killer. And yes, players can be impactful as freshmen. I think I saw that somewhere. Not if they are redshirting of course. And of course not if still in high school either.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back