• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

We see so many teams that are winning games and playing solid basketball using players with less talent. In our case, it's not the Jimmy's and Joe's as much as it's the X's and O's.

It is always a combination of Jimmy's and Joes and X's and O's.

I think Roby is finally figuring out how to be a player - and I think it is because he's having to lead now. I don't think he's had a lot of good examples (maybe Evan Taylor, Tai Webster?) and he was so good in High School against lower competition that he didn't have to try as hard.

Maybe I'm an optimist - I think there are team players on this team. I just don't think they are the leaders. I still think Roby is going to turn a corner and continue to get better as a leader and player. I'm just not sure it's the players' fault they haven't gotten better, and I don't like the idea that they were never going to be team players because they didn't have the right background coming in. I would like to see the same walk-on buy-in from the Football team on the basketball court, but that doesn't translate directly.

Whoever coaches next year will be trying to get over the mess of this season. I wish them the best, but I don't envy them the amount of work it's going to take.

You are correct, we prolly would have a whole different dynamic on the floor is these kids could have been taught better leadership, follower-ship, and role acceptance with a TEAM first approach always as your guiding light. Coaches use many resources for that, and as I have stated in other posts. It just didn't happen at the level this team needed for multiple reasons beyond the coaches control, starting 3 years ago. TM did recognize it years ago and he did try to get the expertise to help in this area. It all can be taught and learned, but often it takes more time with athletes these days and it is best to catch them immediately upon arrival and grow it from there. I helped JC do a leadership and internal culture overhaul and it took almost two years to get positve behavior changes out of staff and kids in order for them to optimize their group dynamic. With the adults the teaching hold much better, for the kids it requires constant reminding, and guidance. CONSTANT. So, when you venture into this line of thinking for ELITE PERFORMANCE or even BETTER PERFORMANCE it takes much more than just the coaching staff.

If they make a change....We don't have to worry because that coach will have damn near a fresh plate to start from, brick by brick they say and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I highly doubt he will have any returning contributors other than Brady, and maybe Nana. So the dude, will have lots of maneuver room and plenty of room to get his players quick.

Last edited:
I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.....How about Rick Petino. Nebraska is in such a need of a big splash for recruiting. We have the facilities and the money. Yes there is some baggage. As long as he doesn't repeat that here is it worth the risk? He can coach, recruit and get us to where we want. If I remember right Bill Self and some other high profile coaches were also accused/guilty of the same pay for play that Petino was.

No...i'd rather lose more games that have our program eventually taken into the toilet. L'ville is not the first time his integrity has been questioned.

Marc Turgeons parents live in Lincoln and are big Husker fans. :oops:

make him an offer, he's a very good coach and I'm thinking he'll improve the program as his career winds down. if we have a better base, we can then attract more really good coaches.

Reece Leitao's father might be available from DePaul... we could get a transfer TE + a coach!

Silly, I know. It's the same thing as @N2FL getting frustrated when I suggested John Parrella for DL coach... I'm not limiting candidates, I'm just exploring UNL's network from what I know of it.

make him an offer, he's a very good coach and I'm thinking he'll improve the program as his career winds down. if we have a better base, we can then attract more really good coaches.

That would be a homerun hire.

Reece Leitao's father might be available from DePaul... we could get a transfer TE + a coach!

Silly, I know. It's the same thing as @N2FL getting frustrated when I suggested John Parrella for DL coach... I'm not limiting candidates, I'm just exploring UNL's network from what I know of it.

No, Parrella I could justify. Jason Peter got my eyes to roll.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back