• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Carousel Gary Anderson out at Oregon State.

This coaching thing can be such a guesswork.

There was a time when many felt like Oregon State made an amazing hire. They got the "splash" hire, afterall.

There have been many great mid-major hires, guys like Urban Meyer, who went on to do great things at the FBS level. But there have also been many guys like Butch Jones or Dan Hawkins.

Frost is doing great things at UCF, but there is no guarantee that he will succeed at a higher level. Before we fire a HC 3 years into his tenure, we better be 100% sure it's the right move.

Your bold statements are a bit contradictory, no? :) But I get what you are saying....hiring is a real crap shoot. Anyone, beyond 2 or 3 names, who says they KNOW the result before the result is lying.

Jim harbaugh was a "guaranteed home run hire" and what's he doing at Michigan that is so special. Yes...10 wins in the first 2 years but 3rd place in the division both years and likely headed that direction or worse this year. 1-4 v. OSU and MSU. You never REALLY know.

I’d be pretty shocked if Chip Kelly isn’t Tennessee’s first choice. And Frost isn’t going to OSU. What other prime jobs open up in your opinion? I’d doubt LSU would cut bait this quickly. Every other job that may come open I think we stack up nicely to unless FSU were to for some reason move on from Jimbo.

LSU will not cut bait with O. He has a 5 year contract. Their win Sat virtually assures probably 2 years even if they pull the rip cord sometime next season

Because I live 20 miles from USC and USC was a national power and somewhat relevant to NU in football terms I thought I would post what they went through, while we were winning titles.
1990- 8-4
1991- 3-8
1992 - 6-5
1993- 8-5
1994- 8-3
1995- 9-2
1996- 6-6
1997- 6-5
1998- 8-5
1999-6-6
2000- 5-7

The alumni was pissed, the fan base was going away, football was waning in Southern California. Against all odds or sanity in most people minds they hired a twice fired NFL coach (after others turned down the job). Turns out to be the best move they ever did but it was widely panned and of course his first season was just like most of the previous 10 seasons , it sucked. But somehow they struck it right.

I don't like the fact that we may be going through this coaching change again, mainly because it seems everyone takes sides in what they want. Running coach, a hot new coach, an established A list coach, a NU connection etc.. We all should hope if coach Riley gets let go we get the right coach, but we all need to understand that none of us know for sure what is the magic formula for a successful coach.
Excellent post... let's go one step further for the "you can't just keep firing and hiring people, the carousel has to stop!" crowd:

In 1987, Larry Smith was hired by USC to be their football coach. He wins a conference title or shares it each of his first 3 seasons. However, his last 3 years things spiral down, going 8-4, 3-8, then 6-5. They promptly fire him. In 1993 USC hired John Robinson, who quickly takes a team who went 6-5-1 the year prior to the top 25 the next year and ties them for a conference title. John Robinson his first 3 years, wins 8 games, 9 games, 9 games, sharing two conference titles. The wheels come off the next two years and he essentially goes .500 both his final two seasons. He gets fired. They then fire Paul Hackett who gets 3 seasons to basically not do anything with the program, and he is fired. Then to your point, they hire Pete Carroll, a failed NFL coach, and he takes them to the promised land.

You can't just stick with something and hope it works. Salaries now-a-days make things a bit trickier. But there's other teams just like USC that eventually get it figured out (Alabama, Oklahoma). There are so many coaches out there, and then ones you wouldn't even give a chance to, that could do wonders here. What if we hired a failed NFL coach like Pete Carroll, how mad would we be? There's countless other guys I could point to that weren't great that went on to be successful elsewhere, but the point is there's options.

Last edited:

The negotiations occur early about who might be willing to go where, before the seasons ended. that's what agents ands search firms are about as you well know.

OSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Pitt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, North Carolina, and BC are all P5 schools who at this point in the season maybe considering coaching changes.

Who knows what else will happen as the season progresses, but the timeline I laid out is clearly to DONU's advantage for its new AD, recruiting and then for the committee to select and incoming coach.

Much better than waiting until November 25th, then announcing a coaching search up against the Dec 20th recruiting deadline. We won't sign anyone this year.
Negotiations do not occur early. However, feelers are sent out for sure. Firing Riley now then sending a feeler to say Justin Fuente is getting greeted with "after the season we will talk." You would miss out on too many guys if you were looking in October and needed decisions by then.

Excellent post... let's go one step further for the you can't just keep firing and hiring people, the carousel has to stop! crowd:

In 1987, Larry Smith was hired by USC to be their football coach. He wins a conference title or shares it each of his first 3 seasons. However, his last 3 years things spiral down, going 8-4, 3-8, then 6-5. They promptly fire him. In 1993 USC hired John Robinson, who quickly takes a team who went 6-5-1 the year prior to the top 25 the next year and ties them for a conference title. John Robinson his first 3 years, wins 8 games, 9 games, 9 games, sharing two conference titles. The wheels come off the next two years and he essentially goes .500 both his final two seasons. He gets fired. They then fire Paul Hackett who gets 3 seasons to basically not do anything with the program, and he is fired. Then to your point, they hire Pete Carroll, a failed NFL coach, and he takes them to the promised land.

You can't just stick with something and hope it works. Salaries now-a-days make things a bit trickier. But there's other teams just like USC that eventually get it figured out (Alabama, Oklahoma). There are so many coaches out there, and then ones you wouldn't even give a chance to, that could do wonders here. What if we hired a failed NFL coach like Pete Carroll, how mad would we be? There's countless other guys I could point to that weren't great that went on to be successful elsewhere, but the point is there's options.

There can be a fine line between giving them time and commitment to winning, there are plenty of guys who understand the opportunity here if Riley is gone. It's not like a young guy is going to think he could come here, not get it done and his career would be over. If he does he may want to reconsider being a HC.

There can be a fine line between giving them time and commitment to winning, there are plenty of guys who understand the opportunity here if Riley is gone. It's not like a young guy is going to think he could come here, not get it done and his career would be over. If he does he may want to reconsider being a HC.
If calmer heads would have prevailed... it would have been nice to have the conversation with Bo and say "we are 9/10 wins a year, what can we do to get you over the hump?" The problem is, neither he nor our AD wanted to deal with each other by the time it was over with. My friend at USC when I was letting him in on what was going on kept texting me back "it's not that bad man...you guys are in the hunt every year and a top 25 team." I have no doubt in my mind Pelini would have had even more success with the resources Riley has, the problem is he didn't want them at one point and Eichorst chose his own guys to do things.

If calmer heads would have prevailed... it would have been nice to have the conversation with Bo and say "we are 9/10 wins a year, what can we do to get you over the hump?" The problem is, neither he nor our AD wanted to deal with each other by the time it was over with. My friend at USC when I was letting him in on what was going on kept texting me back "it's not that bad man...you guys are in the hunt every year and a top 25 team." I have no doubt in my mind Pelini would have had even more success with the resources Riley has, the problem is he didn't want them at one point and Eichorst chose his own guys to do things.

It certainly doesn't look so bad from our current perspective from a results standpoint. I'll never understand Eichorst appearing out of thin air, it doesn't excuse Pelini but it essentially pushed it to a point of no return. The resources thing just doesn't make sense. I also think we have been hamstrung by not going out and getting best available at OC/DC. I get having some of your guys and guys you trust, but the programs at the top typically aren't afraid to lose coordinators and just go get the next best in line.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back