• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Carousel Gary Anderson out at Oregon State.

5-7....seems a little reckless but whatever. That kind of salary is going to buy a guy plenty of time because the buyout (always 4 years basically) is going to be too big of a pill to swallow unless it somehow just gets so bad that there's no choice. I know people think money grows on trees but a $25M buyout is something an AD is going to have to consider...when he commits to that kind of salary for an unproven guy.

Agree here too...not much of a case could be made that frost IS ready. It's unlikely that someone like UT or A&M would go after him right now. But NU IS hiring now...and Frost IS the best chance at NU having an "inside track" to a rising "star". If NU waited until the NEXT hire it might be too late and if he IS "that guy" then we'll never hear the end of it. Just make it happen and cross your fingers. If it works NU is set for quite a while. If it doesn't...it doesn't.

If I'm the AD, I'm more concerned that Scott Frost succeeds elsewhere than I am that he fails in Lincoln. If he fails at NU, very few folks are going to second guess the hire. On the other hand, if you take a pass and he leads Tennessee to an SEC title, it'll be armageddon in Huskerville.

Because I live 20 miles from USC and USC was a national power and somewhat relevant to NU in football terms I thought I would post what they went through, while we were winning titles.
1990- 8-4
1991- 3-8
1992 - 6-5
1993- 8-5
1994- 8-3
1995- 9-2
1996- 6-6
1997- 6-5
1998- 8-5
1999-6-6
2000- 5-7

The alumni was pissed, the fan base was going away, football was waning in Southern California. Against all odds or sanity in most people minds they hired a twice fired NFL coach (after others turned down the job). Turns out to be the best move they ever did but it was widely panned and of course his first season was just like most of the previous 10 seasons , it sucked. But somehow they struck it right.

I don't like the fact that we may be going through this coaching change again, mainly because it seems everyone takes sides in what they want. Running coach, a hot new coach, an established A list coach, a NU connection etc.. We all should hope if coach Riley gets let go we get the right coach, but we all need to understand that none of us know for sure what is the magic formula for a successful coach.

The negotiations occur early about who might be willing to go where, before the seasons ended. that's what agents ands search firms are about as you well know.

OSU, Tennessee, Missouri, Pitt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, North Carolina, and BC are all P5 schools who at this point in the season maybe considering coaching changes.

Who knows what else will happen as the season progresses, but the timeline I laid out is clearly to DONU's advantage for its new AD, recruiting and then for the committee to select and incoming coach.

Much better than waiting until November 25th, then announcing a coaching search up against the Dec 20th recruiting deadline. We won't sign anyone this year.

5-7....seems a little reckless but whatever. That kind of salary is going to buy a guy plenty of time because the buyout (always 4 years basically) is going to be too big of a pill to swallow unless it somehow just gets so bad that there's no choice. I know people think money grows on trees but a $25M buyout is something an AD is going to have to consider...when he commits to that kind of salary for an unproven guy.

$7 million would put him above of Urban Meyer and below only Saban and Harbaugh. I'll be shocked if NU has to cough up that kind of coin for a guy in year 2 at a G5 program. If he gets the nod at NU (or another P5 program) I bet the number is right around $4 million.

Lakewood,

If our horrific run was only 10 years long, I would agree with your point. But we are long past that.

$7 million would put him above of Urban Meyer and below only Saban and Harbaugh. I'll be shocked if NU has to cough up that kind of coin for a guy in year 2 at a G5 program. If he gets the nod at NU (or another P5 program) I bet the number is right around $4 million.
I imagine his agent is smart...and if SF is willing to take the job they'll know they have a gun to NU's head. 7 ain't happening but NU wouldn't have much choice but to pay 5 if it comes down to it.

Before this thread was hijacked, I thought the really interesting question was why Gary Andersen was leaving millions on the table. Either there is some sort of undisclosed buyout, he engaged in some kind of misconduct that could have warranted a termination for cause, or he is an absolute idiot. I don't see any other alternatives.

If I'm the AD, I'm more concerned that Scott Frost succeeds elsewhere than I am that he fails in Lincoln. If he fails at NU, very few folks are going to second guess the hire. On the other hand, if you take a pass and he leads Tennessee to an SEC title, it'll be armageddon in Huskerville.

Yep. An AD that hires and possibly fires Frost can survive that scenario. Hire joe blow while frost tears it up somewhere else and the vitriol directed at SE is going to look like patty cake.

This coaching thing can be such a guesswork.

There was a time when many felt like Oregon State made an amazing hire. They got the "splash" hire, afterall.

There have been many great mid-major hires, guys like Urban Meyer, who went on to do great things at the FBS level. But there have also been many guys like Butch Jones or Dan Hawkins.

Frost is doing great things at UCF, but there is no guarantee that he will succeed at a higher level. Before we fire a HC 3 years into his tenure, we better be 100% sure it's the right move.

NU is in a tough spot because of all of these bad moves. They have to have a home-run hire and whoever that is will get to name their price.

I imagine his agent is smart...and if SF is willing to take the job they'll know they have a gun to NU's head. 7 ain't happening but NU wouldn't have much choice but to pay 5 if it comes down to it.

As Ellis Boyd Redding (the movie character not the HM poster) said, risk goes up, price goes up. After Riley, we'll now be on fifth coach since 2002. Anyone coming here will have to know that our expectations may not be in line with what is actually achievable.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back