• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaches Poll (NU not ranked)

Not that any of this means anything, as preseason polls are about as meaningful as Monopoly money. But did anyone notice that there are 8 B1G teams in the top 26? Four from the East & 4 from the West. Of course the top 3 are from the East, but it shows the buy-in that the West is getting more competitive.

And did I count right? Only 6 SEC teams ranked.

Anything in the #20-30 range is probably fair, given that not a single down of football has been played for the 2019 season yet.

I suspect that if we get to the Ohio State game undefeated, we'll probably be somewhere around 15th.
I hear ya. I wouldn't care if we weren't ranked until after we beat Ohio State. :Hooray:

Apparently not many on here understand how a poll works. The idea is for pollsters to rank the teams as to how they think they will finish at the end of the season. There is no “you stunk last year, I’m not ranking you at the start of this season.” No one is leaving us out because of consecutive 4 - 8 seasons. These coaches, collectively, think we will finish 26th because there are 25 teams that are better. End of story! We could have been 0 - 12 last year and if they believed we were going to field the best team this year, we would be #1. The real upset of this poll is that Amway still exists.
The depressing part is we are #8 just in our league. Hope we prove them wrong.

All think this all follows the "prove it and then we will believe it" thought pattern.
While there is a lot of potential there, NU hasn't actually done anything yet to warrant a ranking.
This will all sort itself out fairly quickly, especially when Gameday comes to town for the battle of the unbeatens on 9/28.

I pay little to zero attention to pre-season polls because with few exceptions coaches, etc are simply guessing like everyone else. Lets see where we stand going into the Ohio State game. I suspect there will be a fair amount of prestige on the line when the Buckeyes come calling.

Of course that assumes we FULLY take of business the first 3 games...............

Apparently not many on here understand how a poll works. The idea is for pollsters to rank the teams as to how they think they will finish at the end of the season. There is no “you stunk last year, I’m not ranking you at the start of this season.” No one is leaving us out because of consecutive 4 - 8 seasons. These coaches, collectively, think we will finish 26th because there are 25 teams that are better. End of story! We could have been 0 - 12 last year and if they believed we were going to field the best team this year, we would be #1. The real upset of this poll is that Amway still exists.

Thanks for the education.

At this time of year, I would expect that most coaches are more concerned about getting their own teams ready for the season, as opposed to checking the returning starters on other teams nationally, and other things that might lead to a logical ranking. So I wouldn't expect many outside the B1G footprint to be aware of the Huskers at this point.

Regardless, I wouldn't expect a team that went 4-8 to even get votes. The fact that we're the first team out means that many coaches must have put us in the 16-25 range, especially when we probably didn't make the ballot for a lot of coaches.

We don’t deserve to be top 25 so I’m fine with it.

It should temper those thinking playoff possibilities too, as getting there while starting at the 26th spot is one helluva challenge.

I think we generally understand what the poll conveys. The real question is whether there is any reasonable basis to believe we will end the season at 26.

A lot of folks put us about 8 wins this year. But no one at this time last year would have ever imagined we would only win 4.

I’m in wait and see mode.

We don't even know who all the starters are going to be yet, but I kinda like it. And, it only matters what we do out on the field, so....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back