• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Walters talks offense & QB development

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think having Vedral is really big this first year, especially in the Spring practices. It’ll make it easier to have one QB who is already acclimated to EXaCTLY what the offense needs, execution and speed-wise. So when he’s playing in a scrimmage situation, he is in game speed mode already and that can tell Frost, Walters, and the other players (offense and defense) exactly where everyone is at, whether it be WR’s running correct routes, OL blocking accurately...it just brings the whole thing together when they can see how the team around him looks/reacts to a guy who is going full speed, accurately in the Offense. That should be a great teaching tool for everybody playing.

The article points out that UCF finished 113th in the nation in total offense in 2016...and we know that NU's QB situation is nearly identical to UCF's in 2016. That creates some concern. Why would we expect SF's offense to be better in its first year at NU than it was at UCF?

I am trying to find some reasons...looking for some Kool-Aid. SF will be looking for QBs who can run. We know that Gebbia, O,Brien and Bunch can pass, but how well can they run? I think Martinez has the inside track to become the starter. I am hoping the back-ups will be nearly as good, but since they were not recruited for this style of offense, its hard to know.

I think UCF's offensive line was very weak in 2016. I think NU's 2018 O-line will be much better.

Last edited:
This may be Paramus' greatest thread.

Yes, your Mike Riley praise threads set a standard that nobody has been able to match. Why don't you start another one for us? We really miss reading about how Mike Riley is going take us back to the glory years.

We can discuss Troy Walters view of the offensive situation some other time.

Last edited:

Yes, your Mike Riley praise threads set a standard that nobody has been able to match. Why don't you start another one for us? We really miss reading about how Mike Riley is going take us back to the glory years.

MR has nothing to do with his post or this thread, not sure why it is important to throw that in someones face.

C

The article points out that UCF finished 113th in the nation in total offense in 2016...and we know that NU's QB situation is nearly identical to UCF's in 2016. That creates some concern. Why would we expect SF's offense to be better in its first year at NU than it was at UCF?

I am trying to find some reasons...looking for some Kool-Aid. SF will be looking for QBs who can run. We know that Gebbia, O,Brien and Bunch can pass, but how well can they run? I think Martinez has the inside track to become the starter. I am hoping the back-ups will be nearly as good, but since they were not recruited for this style of offense, its hard to know.

I think UCF's offensive line was very weak in 2016. I think NU's 2018 O-line will be much better.
2 reasons
1. Our pro style qbs are way more highly rated than the ones at UCF were.
2. POB was mobile enough to be close to being called a DT QB and most think Gebbia is at least as mobile but he never had to use it in HS>

MR has nothing to do with his post or this thread, not sure why it is important to throw that in someones face.

C

Because that someone decided to make a comment about my threads. That opens the discussion to his threads, doesn't it?

Last edited:

2 reasons
2. POB was mobile enough to be close to being called a DT QB and most think Gebbia is at least as mobile but he never had to use it in HS>

I agree. It appears our Pro-style QBs can run quite well. They are probably better passers than what UCF had. I think our O-Line will be much better than UCF's 2016 O-line. I think that will be the biggest reason why NU's 2018 offense will not finish anywhere near 113th tin total offense.

I saw O'Brien run last season. Marginal at best IMHO.

Last edited:
So you are eleven?

C
10132012212152.jpeg

2 reasons

More highly rated as pure passers, maybe. Certainly Tanner Lee was a great pure passer, though he really thrived without a pass rush and with as much time as he needed - under THOSE conditions, he beat out the other two.

Coach Verduzco has stressed many times that our starting qb will be tough, be able to run, AND capable of processing large amounts of information very quickly. Basically, possessing a “point guard” mentality in a fast break offense.

It’s hard to judge any of our QB candidates on that last factor, not having seen them in action. But based on existing comments, Martinez has the qualities the coaches seek. I think Gebbia might. Vedral does but he’s redshirted for 2018.

The only ratings that matter to me are the ones by our coaches since they require a different animal than the “Eli Manning” clone that Langsdorf sought.

Last edited:
Dang right because we all know how much i love to throw support of previous coaches back in posters faces, errr.....
C

The solution:

Realize that you hate yourself and seek professional help.

Last edited:

More highly rated as pure passers, maybe. Certainly Tanner Lee was a great pure passer, though he really thrived without a pass rush and with as much time as he needed - under THOSE conditions, he beat out the other two.

Coach Verduzco has stressed many times that our starting qb will be tough, be able to run, AND capable of processing large amounts of information very quickly. Basically, possessing a “point guard” mentality in a fast break offense.

It’s hard to judge any of our QB candidates on that last factor, not having seen them in action. But based on existing comments, Martinez has the qualities the coaches seek. I think Gebbia might. Vedral does but he’s redshirted for 2018.

The only ratings that matter to me are the ones by our coaches since they require a different animal than the “Eli Manning” clone that Langsdorf sought.

Nice post. The "point guard" reference hits the nail on the head.

Certainly Martinez has the "point guard" skills. From last year's spring game, I'd say Gebbia has them as well. I think one or the other will start this fall. I see Bunch as having more "point guard" skills than POB. I think POB will be no better than tied with Bunch for 3rd string after the spring practice depth chart is published.

I believe we recruited an "athlete" that could get a look at QB, so there may be another QB prospect in the mix.

Which QB can process large amounts of info the best? Obviously Gebbia will be hard to beat in that regard. They say he is a gym rat and a film room junkie.

QBs hold the most important positon on any team, so it will be a much discussed topic between now and our first game. Steve Sipple brought the topic to light. I thought it was a very good article.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back