• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Miles Popularity growing..

Busy thread today.

It's funny that this topic came up because I've been talking with my Maryland buddies around here and the very instant we started talking it went like this:

Me: It looks like we're going to make the tourney for the first time since '98
Him: Yeah you guys are having a great year, where do you think your coach will go?

So this conversation went on for a few minutes but the point is this. As someone who has no rooting interest or anything about Nebraska, a coach who is successful, even just ONE YEAR, will be talked to by many teams. Miles has a proven track record of turning around programs and has already shown that here (wouldnt say proven that yet). So I wouldnt be surprised if teams like UCONN or big players start calling if they're looking for a coach.

With that said. I don't have a read on Miles. He's said he loves it here and we know he has the Athletic Dept full support, but at the end of the day it's going to be near impossible to win a national title in basketball in Lincoln until we can bring in the big time players. Ohio State is brining in 2 top 20 recruits next year and schools like that can just pick up their guys. Maybe that is something he wants? Maybe not? We've already seen this year we can beat those kids and teams with our guys. I think we're safe for a couple years until we make a deep run in the tourney when Pettaway and Pitchford are Juniors.

... , but at the end of the day it's going to be near impossible to win a national title in basketball in Lincoln until we can bring in the big time players. Ohio State is brining in 2 top 20 recruits next year and schools like that can just pick up their guys. Maybe that is something he wants? Maybe not? We've already seen this year we can beat those kids and teams with our guys. I think we're safe for a couple years until we make a deep run in the tourney when Pettaway and Pitchford are Juniors.
Bo Ryan has turned the Badger program into a powerhouse. He's got a job for life. Wisconsin leads the B10 in basketball revenues and pays for a sold-out house practically every game .... he's been to one elite eight. He's been to the NCAA tournament every year, finished in the B10 top 4 every year ... but hes never acheived the ultimate NCAA success.

I suspect we'd all love to have "Wisconsin" style success under Miles. Winning the NC is always the ultimate goal but if NU could acheive Wisconsin style success over the next decade - I think we'd all be very happy with that performance.

Last edited:
There was an article posted in another thread, not sure which, where Miles said his dream is to make Notre Dame a basketball school. Notre Dame = Nebraska when it comes to the football fervor, so I don't see it as a "I want to go to Notre Dame" thing as much as "I want to make a football powerhouse school a basketball school." That, along with the fact TM is from the "area" and is more or less a B1G guy, I really don't see him leaving. But, I have been wrong before.

There was an article posted in another thread, not sure which, where Miles said his dream is to make Notre Dame a basketball school. Notre Dame = Nebraska when it comes to the football fervor, so I don't see it as a "I want to go to Notre Dame" thing as much as "I want to make a football powerhouse school a basketball school." That, along with the fact TM is from the "area" and is more or less a B1G guy, I really don't see him leaving. But, I have been wrong before.

If he's Catholic, that may well be a dream about Notre Dame, not just any football powerhouse. Anyone know?

On the Husker Radio Network call in show last night Coach Miles was on for his weekly hour. He was asked by a caller to "please stay" He answered with all the right words. In a nut shell and in my worrds he said he is not going anywhere. His dream was to coach in the Big 10. He has all the support to get the job done here and why would he go anwhere else. He has stated goals from when he took the job and while things are on the correct track they are a long way from being reached.

He said all the correct things.... and I tend to beleive him.... that being said he may be gone too but I don't think so anytime soon.

If he's Catholic, that may well be a dream about Notre Dame, not just any football powerhouse. Anyone know?

He is Catholic and I just heard an interview where he talked about how much he loves the Faith life in Lincoln, between the Newman Center on campus and the Catholic Elementary school where his kids attend.

I've tried to relocate the damn post by a supposed Husker Hoops fan, who, sometime in January, just trashed Tim Miles because the Huskers played poorly. He said, in Quotes, that he was "On Record" that Tim just couldn't get it done for the Huskers. Said we were poorly coached. At Number 4 in the B1G TEN at 19-11 and 11-7 in year two, I hope whoever it was is man enough to apologize for his pathetic rant so early in the season. We need to Win at least two games in the tourney, to win it out right would be Righteous... GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the Husker Radio Network call in show last night Coach Miles was on for his weekly hour. He was asked by a caller to "please stay" He answered with all the right words. In a nut shell and in my worrds he said he is not going anywhere. His dream was to coach in the Big 10. He has all the support to get the job done here and why would he go anwhere else. He has stated goals from when he took the job and while things are on the correct track they are a long way from being reached.

He said all the correct things.... and I tend to beleive him.... that being said he may be gone too but I don't think so anytime soon.

I take what coaches say when asked questions like that with a grain of salt. there's nothing else they can say...unless their name is Danny Nee (cough..Rutgers..cough).

Yes, think logically.. Money makes the world go around. If he turns NU into a player every year while he is here, many schools will be looking, and if one of those bigger schools needs a coach you can bet the farm they would be looking at Tim!

Yep. Money talks. And NU has the ability to match the money of most...and if NU is flying high they'll likely have the desire to match most. At which point it becomes a matter of maybe only a handful of schools that would be more attractive than NU.

He is Catholic and I just heard an interview where he talked about how much he loves the Faith life in Lincoln, between the Newman Center on campus and the Catholic Elementary school where his kids attend.

Yep, definitely Catholic. He did the sign of the cross prior to leading prayer in the Wisconsin post-game.

Yep, definitely Catholic. He did the sign of the cross prior to leading prayer in the Wisconsin post-game.

Yep. I can't remember the exact quote, but in his introductory PC they asked him about doubts in taking over an ailing NU program. His response was something to the effect of "I'm Catholic, I live in doubt and guilt all the time." Hilarious.

**edit: here's the video:

****edit dos: removed the video because it was an annoying auto play.

Last edited:
I've tried to relocate the damn post by a supposed Husker Hoops fan, who, sometime in January, just trashed Tim Miles because the Huskers played poorly. He said, in Quotes, that he was "On Record" that Tim just couldn't get it done for the Huskers. Said we were poorly coached. At Number 4 in the B1G TEN at 19-11 and 11-7 in year two, I hope whoever it was is man enough to apologize for his pathetic rant so early in the season. We need to Win at least two games in the tourney, to win it out right would be Righteous... GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you may be thinking of a fromunda cheese post.

Follow up to my last post. Found the exact quote, it's "I'm Catholic. I live in fear, worry, and doubt."

Last edited:
Follow up to my last post. Found the exact quote, it's "I'm Catholic. I live in fear, worry, and doubt."

Yeah. Now I remember that. :Biggrin: Frankly, I would pay him extra just because he's entertaining. :)

I guess along with my new bubble watch rooting I also need to start rooting for Notre Dame to do well so they don't need a new coach.

Last edited:

Yeah. Now I remember that. :Biggrin: Frankly, I would pay him extra just because he's entertaining. :)

I guess along with my new bubble watch rooting I also need to start rooting for Notre Dame to do well so they don't need a new coach.

Well, just because he's Catholic doesn't mean he necessarily wants to go to Notre Dame. He also said in that press conference that he is a B1G guy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back