• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Miles Popularity growing..

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/tim-miles-popularity-soaring-among-nebraska-fans

Boehm said he's not worried about Miles, who has five years left on his contract, being scooped up by another school. Miles has shown he loves a challenge and, with no conference titles since 1950 and an all-time NCAA tournament record of 0-6, Nebraska is one of the biggest.

I tend to believe, Tim could be a "lifer" at Nebraska. He just strikes me as the kind of a guy would be very content in Husker Nation!!! :thecreedsign:

Last edited:
Before people start freaking out and writing million dollar checks...they need to think logically.

Who would come calling and of those who would Miles be tempted by?

Well...anyone looking for a coach right? Not necessarily. Boston College? Wouldn't make sense. Miami? Nah. USC? Nope. Oregon State? I suppose. DePaul? They'd love to have a Miles. Miss St? Maybe. Oklahoma? Sure. (I don't know if any of those teams are looking for a coach...just jumping around different conferences for examples)

Which of those types of schools would he be interested in? None.

What kind of job might tempt a Tim Miles? Well, he doesn't have an alma mater NU needs to worry about. He's never been an assistant at a program that he would want to go back to. That really leaves the true "blue blood"/"dream job" type deals. KU, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, UCONN, Syracuse, G'town, Mich St., Arizona...you could keep going with a few more. But none of these teams are looking for anyone right now that I know of. And if they do in the next year or two they would be shooting higher than Tim Miles...they'd be going after a coach at one of the other blue blood programs maybe or they all have pretty extensive "coaching trees"...or a guy like Donovan at Fla (although why ever leave there?).

Point being there is no reason to get giddy and throw a 10 year extension at him and start paying him like Tom Izzo. Give him a 1 or 2 year extension and a couple hundred grand and reassess each year. If a true "blue blood" ever comes along it won't be money or extensions that keep him at NU.

Last edited:
Before people start freaking out and writing million dollar checks...they need to think logically.

Well...anyone looking for a coach right? Not necessarily. Boston College? Wouldn't make sense. Miami? Nah. USC? Nope. Oregon State? I suppose. DePaul? They'd love to have a Miles. Miss St? Maybe. Oklahoma? Sure. (I don't know if any of those teams are looking for a coach...just jumping around different conferences for examples)

What kind of job might tempt a Tim Miles? Well, he doesn't have an alma mater NU needs to worry about. He's never been an assistant at a program that he would want to go back to. That really leaves the true "blue blood"/"dream job" type deals. KU, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, UCONN, Syracuse, G'town, Mich St., Arizona...you could keep going with a few more. But none of these teams are looking for anyone right now that I know of. And if they do in the next year or two they would be shooting higher than Tim Miles...they'd be going after a coach at one of the other blue blood programs maybe or they all have pretty extensive "coaching trees"...or a guy like Donovan at Fla (although why ever leave there?).

Point being there is no reason to get giddy and throw a 10 year extension at him and start paying him like Tom Izzo. Give him a 1 or 2 year extension and a couple hundred grand and reassess each year. If a true "blue blood" ever comes along it won't be money or extensions that keep him at NU.

In all fairness, you or anyone else hasn't the foggiest who might want, or not want, Coach Miles.

I'm just saying, he is a darn good coach, period. If he can do for others the way he did for our Nebraska, the sky is the limit. Don't think for one minute, there are no AD's out there, not paying attention to Coach Miles. If they aren't, they don't deserve their position!

:popcorn:

Last edited:

In all fairness, you or anyone else hasn't the foggiest who might want, or not want, Coach Miles.

I'm just saying, he is a darn good coach, period. If he can do for others the way he did for our Nebraska, the sky is the limit. Don't think for one minute, there are no AD's out there, not paying attention to Coach Miles. If they aren't, they don't deserve their position!

Agreed, just getting the gut feeling, NU is a destination for Tim. One can only hope!

Again. Think logically.

Who would come calling? Yes, you are right...quite a few would knock on the door.

But then you have to ask...what would make sense for him when schools do come calling? Certainly not lateral moves. And pretty much all of the schools I used as examples were lateral moves. He's never been further east than Minnesota nor further west than Colorado State...so programs on the coasts probably don't make a ton of sense although not completely crazy I guess.

Inside the Big 10? No...why would you go anywhere inside the Big 10 other than Michigan State? And Michigan State, when Izzo does retire, is going to hire an Izzo disciple.

Big 12? ISU? Why? KSU? Why? OU/OSU? Why? Kansas? Now that might get Tim's blood pumping. But Self is going to be there a while so there's no reason to worry about that one.

Big East? No school there makes sense for him.

ACC? Who? Maybe a Pittsburgh someday could come sniffing around...I guess. Nothing else in the ACC makes sense. The real big programs there all pretty well set for now...and I imagine if Duke hired someone other than a Coach K disciple they'd burn Cameron Indoor to the ground. UNC? Not until Tim has a final 4 or two under his belt.

Pac 12? Anything there is either lateral or a UCLA or Arizona...both of whom are set for a while.

While I do mostly agree with you (we both discussed this in another thread yesterday) ... let's just say (playing a hypothetical) 4-5 years down the road, Miles gets an itch to coach elsewhere (again, not saying it will ever happen). What would be his logical "step up?"

Regardless, Nebraska may truly be a destination school for Tim Miles, for all of the reasons you've already outlined. And yes, you're correct ... the "blue blood" schools typically have a blueprint for their hires. Though that doesn't mean there couldn't be an exception to the rule. Let's just say, playing another hypothetical, Bill Self decides to bolt for the NBA in three years. And let's just say, NU has appeared in a couple of Sweet Sixteens by then (for the Huskers, that would be an insanely good accomplishment), it's certainly possible Miles could be on their radar.

Also, this is far from something we seriously need to consider at this point. As incredible as Miles has been this season, you'd like to see him play this out -- with more improvement -- for at least a couple more seasons before beginning to worry. And yes, I don't believe there's ever a need to throw lifetime contracts at any coach. If Miles wants to stay in Lincoln, Nebraska will make it work. If he doesn't there's only so much any school can do.

Last edited:

While I do mostly agree with you (we both discussed this in another thread yesterday) ... let's just say (playing a hypothetical) 4-5 years down the road, Miles gets an itch to coach elsewhere (again, not saying it will ever happen). What would be his logical "step up?"

Regardless, Nebraska may truly be a destination school for Tim Miles, for all of the reasons you've already outlined. And yes, you're correct ... the "blue blood" schools typically have a blueprint for their hires. Though that doesn't mean there couldn't be an exception to the rule. Let's just say, playing another hypothetical, Bill Self decides to bolt for the NBA in three years. And let's just say, NU has appeared in a couple of Sweet Sixteens by then (for the Huskers, that would be an insanely good accomplishment), it's certainly possible Miles could be on their radar.

Also, this is far from something we seriously need to consider at this point. As incredible as Miles has been this season, you'd like to see him play this out -- with more improvement -- for at least a couple more seasons before beginning to worry. And yes, I don't believe there's ever a need to throw lifetime contracts at any coach. If Miles wants to stay in Lincoln, Nebraska will make it work. If he doesn't there's only so much any school can do.

4-5 years down the road he certainly could get that itch. I think that step up has to be a program like KU or Mich St. or...you know...one of those basketball factory type deals (and of course who knows...dream job to one guy isn't dream job to another. Maybe he grew up as a HUGE Purdue fan??) But that would require a "step up" being available. And if he's attractive at that time that means he's built upon what he's done this year....and at that point there are few real "steps up".

You definitely keep him happy NOW with what I suggested...a modest extension and a nice raise. You certainly don't want to stick a finger in his eye and say "C'mon Tim...it's only year 2...let's see you do it again next year before we talk." If a KU did start sniffing around you back up the Brinks truck and do what you can to keep him...and KU is still hard to pass up even then.

4-5 years down the road he certainly could get that itch. I think that step up has to be a program like KU or Mich St. or...you know...one of those basketball factory type deals (and of course who knows...dream job to one guy isn't dream job to another. Maybe he grew up as a HUGE Purdue fan??) But that would require a "step up" being available. And if he's attractive at that time that means he's built upon what he's done this year....and at that point there are few real "steps up".

You definitely keep him happy NOW with what I suggested...a modest extension and a nice raise. You certainly don't want to stick a finger in his eye and say "C'mon Tim...it's only year 2...let's see you do it again next year before we talk." If a KU did start sniffing around you back up the Brinks truck and do what you can to keep him...and KU is still hard to pass up even then.

Yep.

I think everyone knows I loved Miles from the point of hire. I made that pretty clear here. And I love him even more now. But I'm a fan. And I still want to see at least a couple more seasons play out before I crown him king of the world. And again, I'm a fan. There's also a thing called business. And as I alluded to in my previous post (and you basically said as well), if Miles wants to stay, Nebraska can make it work. If he doesn't, there's only so much Nebraska -- or any school -- can do. It's truly the least of my concerns at this point in time.

Last edited:
By the way, I saw on an ESPN twitter (ESPN writer) yesterday ... something to the fact that if Miles gets two more wins (not sure if that included the Wisconsin game or not -- might be the magical 20 win barrier), he would get an automatic $225,000 bonus this season (part of his current contract). Again, I have nothing to back this up, just something I briefly ran across yesterday, with no current source to link.

By the way, I saw on an ESPN twitter (ESPN writer) yesterday ... something to the fact that if Miles gets two more wins (not sure if that included the Wisconsin game or not -- might be the magical 20 win barrier), he would get an automatic $225,000 bonus this season (part of his current contract). Again, I have nothing to back this up, just something I briefly ran across yesterday, with no current source to link.

Awkward position for Eichorst! :) "Screw it...we've already made the dance. Go Buckeyes!"

By the way...that clause is a little like letting the fox rule the henhouse. Basketball coaches are seemingly much more involved in scheduling than football coaches. With that kind of incentive I could see how a guy might try to schedule 12 wins right out of the gate and hope for the best in conference. :)

By the way...that clause is a little like letting the fox rule the henhouse. Basketball coaches are seemingly much more involved in scheduling than football coaches. With that kind of incentive I could see how a guy might try to schedule 12 wins right out of the gate and hope for the best in conference. :)

True. That's a fine incentive for a program like Nebraska -- but it should be a one-time deal. Fact is, Nebraska will almost be expected to win 20 games next season. Let's hope Osborne didn't write this into every season of Miles' current contract -- though maybe Eichorst would restructure it after this season, if necessary.

Last edited:

Again. Think logically.

Who would come calling? Yes, you are right...quite a few would knock on the door.

But then you have to ask...what would make sense for him when schools do come calling? Certainly not lateral moves. And pretty much all of the schools I used as examples were lateral moves. He's never been further east than Minnesota nor further west than Colorado State...so programs on the coasts probably don't make a ton of sense although not completely crazy I guess.

Inside the Big 10? No...why would you go anywhere inside the Big 10 other than Michigan State? And Michigan State, when Izzo does retire, is going to hire an Izzo disciple.

Big 12? ISU? Why? KSU? Why? OU/OSU? Why? Kansas? Now that might get Tim's blood pumping. But Self is going to be there a while so there's no reason to worry about that one.

Big East? No school there makes sense for him.

ACC? Who? Maybe a Pittsburgh someday could come sniffing around...I guess. Nothing else in the ACC makes sense. The real big programs there all pretty well set for now...and I imagine if Duke hired someone other than a Coach K disciple they'd burn Cameron Indoor to the ground. UNC? Not until Tim has a final 4 or two under his belt.

Pac 12? Anything there is either lateral or a UCLA or Arizona...both of whom are set for a while.

Yes, think logically.. Money makes the world go around. If he turns NU into a player every year while he is here, many schools will be looking, and if one of those bigger schools needs a coach you can bet the farm they would be looking at Tim!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back