• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CFN Preview and Prediction of the Nebraska-Northwestern Game

Who said we had a great defense?

Total defense was ranked 47th per the NCAA (see link) which is good being Top 50 but far from great

I didn’t say anyone SAID we had a great defense. My quote was if someone talked themselves into believing we had a great defense. Interpretation is very gullible depending on which side you want to take in a discussion. It’s pretty apparent that many are insistent our defense was sufficient enough to win the games had it not been for the offensive struggles.
I think I’ve given enough evidence that it warrants thought from the other side.

Last edited:

Yup

A Top 10 toughest schedule
I get that its hard to define a whole season, be it by position or side of the ball, especially as defined by wins or losses as criteria.

The offenses job is to score, not to put up great yardage, and stats define some of that well,never all of it.
Same for defensive points allowed, not total points allowed etc etc

I swear if AM played defense, you would try to convince everyone that was the best Husker defense in 30 years.
The defense held a team without a first down in the 2nd half and still lost the game in overtime. Somehow I guess that's their fault.
No not saying it was their fault. I’m just trying to dispel this sense of believing our problems are resolved shaking up an offense that in many ways performed better and using some statistical facts that turnover margin issues were not an offensive issue as much as a defensive issue. Same goes for time of possession.

I didn’t say anyone SAID we had a great defense. My quote was if someone talked themselves into believing we had a great defense. Interpretation is a very gullible depending on which side you want to take in a discussion. It’s pretty apparent that many are insistent that our defense was of sufficients enough to win the games had it not been for the offensive struggles.
I think I’ve given enough evidence that it warrants thought from the other side.
Again, find that guy, we'll know him when we see him., but I dont see him?

No not saying it was their fault. I’m just trying to dispel this sense of believing our problems are resolved shaking up an offense that in many ways performed better and using some statistical facts that turnover margin issues were not an offensive issue as much as a defensive issue. Same goes for time of possession.

Of course, I think that goes without saying. What everyone is saying is if the offense and special teams pulled their weight more last year, they are bowl team. That's still not good enough, and hopefully the addition of Mathis will improve the pass rush, which was the biggest thing holding the defense back.

Where did the defense collapse where the offense didn’t go 3 and out right before?
Ahead late against Michigan. Right down the field. Ahead against Iowa, Wisconsin, couldn’t get the stops. Needing to get Ohio state off the field at the end, couldn’t do it. I’m sure there are others I’m missing. Sometimes, regardless if the situation, the defense needs to come up with a play to change the game. They haven’t done that. Again, I’ve said they were better, and they were, but they collapsed when they were most needed. That’s just the truth. You can’t blame everything on the offense.

Ahead late against Michigan. Right down the field. Ahead against Iowa, Wisconsin, couldn’t get the stops. Needing to get Ohio state off the field at the end, couldn’t do it. I’m sure there are others I’m missing. Sometimes, regardless if the situation, the defense needs to come up with a play to change the game. They haven’t done that. Again, I’ve said they were better, and they were, but they collapsed when they were most needed. That’s just the truth. You can’t blame everything on the offense.
Everything is like greatest, no ones saying that, now add in STs and we're closer to understanding last season.
I would give an almost everything blame to STs contributions however.

So the offense didn't collapse when they were needed? Look at the defenses success rate when teams would cross midfield. They were put in a lot of bad spots in almost every game. And they held more often than not.
If Nebraska had an adequate offense and special teams, the record is much different. Now that being said, the defense needs to get to the qb more and create more turnovers.

So the offense didn't collapse when they were needed? Look at the defenses success rate when teams would cross midfield. They were put in a lot of bad spots in almost every game. And they held more often than not.
If Nebraska had an adequate offense and special teams, the record is much different. Now that being said, the defense needs to get to the qb more and create more turnovers.
The offense gave NU the lead late against Michigan. They went right down the field. The offense scored 28 against Wisconsin, on the road. The offense gave NU a 3 score cushion against Iowa. No one is saying this is perfect, but that defense collapsed in nearly every crucial moment. Blame it all on the offense and ST. I don’t care if it makes you feel better to do so. I never felt comfortable with that defense. You can come up with stats to fit almost any narrative, all I know is, they weren’t any good when they absolutely had to be. It was right there to see. Plain view.

The offense gave NU the lead late against Michigan. They went right down the field. The offense scored 28 against Wisconsin, on the road. The offense gave NU a 3 score cushion against Iowa. No one is saying this is perfect, but that defense collapsed in nearly every crucial moment. Blame it all on the offense and ST. I don’t care if it makes you feel better to do so. I never felt comfortable with that defense. You can come up with stats to fit almost any narrative, all I know is, they weren’t any good when they absolutely had to be. It was right there to see. Plain view.

Ha, ok.

Just caught up, is our revamped offense going to beat our horrible defense when we play Northwestern, or will our defense continue to improve, and prevail over our offense who still makes the same silly mistakes in our season opener?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back