• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CFN Preview and Prediction of the Nebraska-Northwestern Game

Dude, the defense blew. It was better, but it was a middle of the pack type of defense that caved every single time when it needed a stop, and that was with 6 ‘super seniors’. I’m in complete show me mode. I believe that is more than fair, given all the garbage we’ve seen.
Where did the defense collapse where the offense didn’t go 3 and out right before?

It’s only tricky if you have talked yourself into believing we had this great defense that the offense consistently let down.

Nobody said we had a great defense. We had a very solid defense that kept the team in games despite turnovers, inconsistent offense, and terrible special teams. It wasn't a reincarnation of the '99 or 2009 defense, but it certainly wasn't the main cause of 9 losses either.

I didn't realize it was controversial to believe that the defense was the best unit on the team last year. The statistics bear it out, but the eye test for me made that pretty obvious. I don't really understand the pedantic argument that the offense somehow played well enough to win every game.

That said, I hope all units are better this season than they were last season. The talk out of camp makes it sound like that's probably true for the defense and special teams. I'm less certain where the offense stands, but I would start by developing a unit that takes care of the ball, can eat up some clock, and can drive for a makeable FG attempt on the final drive once in a while when its the difference in winning a game.

It’s only tricky if you have talked yourself into believing we had this great defense that the offense consistently let down.

Who said we had a great defense?

Total defense was ranked 47th per the NCAA (see link) which is good being Top 50 but far from great

Nobody said we had a great defense. We had a very solid defense that kept the team in games despite turnovers, inconsistent offense, and terrible special teams. It wasn't a reincarnation of the '99 or 2009 defense, but it certainly wasn't the main cause of 9 losses either.

Yup solid defense ranked 47th overall in the country

Which as you said is solid but far from great

Your statement isn’t incorrect as it stands by itself. However, if you look beyond that statement for a fair comparison the exact same thing could be said about the inconsistent defensive struggles that made it difficult for a good offense.

I have already spelled it out but our total offense was 20th which put us at the 85th percentile in FBS. Our defense was 47th which put us at the 66th percentile. That automatically assumes that compared to the other 129 teams our offense was more effective and likely controlled the time of possession in a positive way. However, the defense was less effective at 65 percent. All of this points to less effective field position and ability to flip the field as the defense isn’t as effective.

Now one could argue turnovers except that isn’t the case. We turned the ball over tied for 67th. Right at 50% in ratings. However our defense only gained turnovers ranked 102. Only 20 teams worse than this so we had a negative effect on field position and time of possession because of the defense.

Your statement isn’t incorrect as it stands by itself. However, if you look beyond that statement for a fair comparison the exact same thing could be said about the inconsistent defensive struggles that made it difficult for a good offense.

I have already spelled it out but our total offense was 20th which put us at the 85th percentile in FBS. Our defense was 47th which put us at the 66th percentile. That automatically assumes that compared to the other 129 teams our offense was more effective and likely controlled the time of possession in a positive way. However, the defense was less effective at 65 percent. All of this points to less effective field position and ability to flip the field as the defense isn’t as effective.

Now one could argue turnovers except that isn’t the case. We turned the ball over tied for 67th. Right at 50% in ratings. However our defense only gained turnovers ranked 102. Only 20 teams worse than this so we had a negative effect on field position and time of possession because of the defense.

I swear if AM played defense, you would try to convince everyone that was the best Husker defense in 30 years.
The defense held a team without a first down in the 2nd half and still lost the game in overtime. Somehow I guess that's their fault.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back