• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can we please stop calling it NIL?

My teenagers file taxes. Why do you think these adult college athletes won’t?

Mine did as well.

To balance that out, I have some grown assed men who can’t work in military installations because they HAVEN’T filed tax returns.

Takes all kinds I guess.

Here is another twist to the story.

Since the Universities are not directly involved in the NIL deal itself, how involved are they in the assistance and education of the athletes who get deals?

I would think a school like Nebraska would sit the player down and explain the ramifications of that kind of income, but they have no requirement there.
My cousin was a long time employee of the university who met with the team regularly to discuss/plan for their financial futures. This was when Nebraska was producing prospect after propect. He did this for a long time and this was before NIL. I'm assuming they have a dedicated person or persons helping thee guys every step of the way.

Last edited:
My cousin was a long time employee of the university who met with the team regularly to discuss/plan for their financial futures. This was when Nebraska was producing prospect after propect. He did this for a long time and this was before NIL. I'm assuming they have a dedicated person or persons helping thee guys every step of the way.
Question is, will this instruction be considered a perk, discontinued unless its an extra paid class if they become employees?
Not many employers offer such things for free or at all to their employees.

I may be misremembering, but I thought Ron Brown had some involvement in the education and mentoring of players for 'Post Football Life'.

You sure seemed worked up, and I bet I'm not the only who thinks so.
I just don't care if a kid wants to make some money for himself because he happens to a play a major college sport. Good for him or her.

cool, just don't complain later that college football has changed and it isn't the same, not saying you are now, or will later.. I'm just saying there is a lot of bad that comes with allowing this to take cover college football. This is one reason why Saban quit coaching.

My opinion, you can go out and make money, but it can't be tied to football in any way, IF you want to keep your amateur status. If you want to make money off the game (endorsement deals) then you forfeit your amateur status, and now you have to find an NFL team to play for.

NIL is going to ruin college football, we are already seeing it. Didn't Rhule talk about dirt tactics going on? Welcome to being allowed to pay players to come to your school.

There is NIL, and then there is paying players to come to your school.. all born out of the same players complaint about money. It is getting out of control.

just my opinion, and nobody has to agree with it.

cool, just don't complain later that college football has changed and it isn't the same, not saying you are now, or will later.. I'm just saying there is a lot of bad that comes with allowing this to take cover college football. This is one reason why Saban quit coaching.

My opinion, you can go out and make money, but it can't be tied to football in any way, IF you want to keep your amateur status. If you want to make money off the game (endorsement deals) then you forfeit your amateur status, and now you have to find an NFL team to play for.

NIL is going to ruin college football, we are already seeing it. Didn't Rhule talk about dirt tactics going on? Welcome to being allowed to pay players to come to your school.

There is NIL, and then there is paying players to come to your school.. all born out of the same players complaint about money. It is getting out of control.

I'd agree with you if this stuff hasn't already been going on for years.

I respect your opinion but…..the Supreme Court has ruled differently in regards to NIL being connected to play.

Secondly how is NIL ruining college football? Tampering has been going on for generations. Is it more apparent now with different tools/money? Yes. So what. In the big picture college football is thriving.

My opinion is fans are chasing ghosts complaining about NIL and the transfer portal. Come game day none of it matters.

schools have been buying players for years, that is true, but they at least "tried" to stop it/control it, now it is a free-for-all.

anyway, the cat is out of the bag, no going backwards now.

There just needs to be some oversight and regulation. You can't have a major change like this and not have any rules about it. Just another example of the NCAA being incompetent.

Also, I would say it's not NIL or the transfer portal that's the biggest threat to college athletics. I'd say teams moving conferences and the possibility of 2 superconferences is a much bigger threat.

I think it's just a different version of 'The Bag Man' we used to have, but agree we need to get some damned framework to keep it.....under control? Maybe that's not the right phrase. Keep it from getting even more out of hand? Hell, I don't now.

Also, I would say it's not NIL or the transfer portal that's the biggest threat to college athletics. I'd say teams moving conferences and the possibility of 2 superconferences is a much bigger threat.
I agree that Nil and transfer portal aren't big threats. But disagree on the super conferences. The Northern Illinoise's and nevada's need to go their own way. I want to see more of the Top 60 going head to head every week instead of western Michigan vrs Michigan

I think it's just a different version of 'The Bag Man' we used to have, but agree we need to get some damned framework to keep it.....under control? Maybe that's not the right phrase. Keep it from getting even more out of hand? Hell, I don't now.
One regret no matter what. If it comes down to the cfa league, will it matter if you're in the Midwest division, the sw division etc.
It loses a lot of the personality imo.

One regret no matter what. If it comes down to the cfa league, will it matter if you're in the Midwest division, the sw division etc.
It loses a lot of the personality imo.

All of the conference moves over the last decade have really changed all of that for me already.

I don't know what it all looks like in another decade and I don't think anybody making the decisions cares beyond revenue.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back