• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can we please stop calling it NIL?

I will get crucified for saying this but NIL will be better off if not regulated. Let free enterprise handle it like it has the last few years. Do you really trust the government or the ncaa to correct it?

It’s still coaching and not Jimmy’s and Joes. Yes they make a difference. Texas A&M has thrown tons of money into it and ended up with nothing in last couple of years. Texas has had a prolific of high profile “entitled” players over 15 years and only last year had any success. Even their high dollar “manning” is likely to leave.

The market will stabilize if the government or NCAA doesn’t screw it up
It’s an interesting point. I wouldn’t be generally inclined to agree with you but in this case I kind of feel like F it. Let’s see what happens.

I'm sure they have advisors and lawyers helping with contracts and then going through the tax implications. And I'd hope they have a day where the athletes that have income come to the facility with their tax documents and do their taxes.
Don’t worry, if they don’t, 2, 3, 5 years from now, the IRS will be in touch. One way or the other.

It’s an interesting point. I wouldn’t be generally inclined to agree with you but in this case I kind of feel like F it. Let’s see what happens.
Well part of my reasoning is I’m not sold on the”broken system” belief yet. I can’t see where NIL and the transfer portal are affecting college football negatively yet. There is a crapload of talk about how it’s ruing college football but……It’s certainly a big part of our rebuild.

Well part of my reasoning is I’m not sold on the”broken system” belief yet. I can’t see where NIL and the transfer portal are affecting college football negatively yet. There is a crapload of talk about how it’s ruing college football but……It’s certainly a big part of our rebuild.
I think the "brokeness" has more to do with money being the driving factor in success. We are moving more and more toward a system where the deepest pockets are going to win the day. That might not be a bad thing at a place like Nebraska which cares about football and pours money in.

You used to feel like if you could just hire the right coach, you had a chance to be great. Now, it has a lot more to do with can I pool together enough money to go chase the top recruits. The rich get richer.

To be fair, I've discussed at length that while I think we are in a broken system that is getting worse, I don't think the system has ever been "fixed". College football has always had an issue with competitive balance. We have reaped the benefits of some of that imbalance over the years.

I think the "brokeness" has more to do with money being the driving factor in success. We are moving more and more toward a system where the deepest pockets are going to win the day. That might not be a bad thing at a place like Nebraska which cares about football and pours money in.

You used to feel like if you could just hire the right coach, you had a chance to be great. Now, it has a lot more to do with can I pool together enough money to go chase the top recruits. The rich get richer.

To be fair, I've discussed at length that while I think we are in a broken system that is getting worse, I don't think the system has ever been "fixed". College football has always had an issue with competitive balance. We have reaped the benefits of some of that imbalance over the years.
I think too much focus and "problem" is being put on these issues. One could argue the transfer portal and NIL have finally been fixed. These have been glaring issues for 30 years in regards to fairness and equity. Its managed to happen without the Universities having to cough off a bunch of money. They are letting fan collectives and businesses fund it.

The inequity of the transfer policy in regards to players and any other college football position needed fixed. Right now I think the transfer situation is better than it ever was with the one year penalty and the requirement of only a single transfer. Its arguable but both players, coaches and programs are finding it much easier to manage their rosters. We are certainly getting a net gain in talent and "attitude" in regards to players who want to be at Nebraska being at Nebraska.

As for the appearance of money. It was always money. It was a facilities race and dark money under the table. Now we've added business sponsored NIL above the table.

You can’t see? Seriously? You have lost it. You’ve always been a solid poster, but this is nonsense. Not effected? Boy, I guess teams trying to hold together a simple roster EVERY SINGE YEAR, isn’t an issue? Kids wanting large chunks of money, BEFORE THEY EVER COME, isn’t an issue? The rivalries destroyed, isn’t an issue? USC @Rutgers, in a conference game, isn’t an issue? I think you’ve lost your mind my man. College football is in complete turmoil.

You can’t see? Seriously? You have lost it. You’ve always been a solid poster, but this is nonsense. Not effected? Boy, I guess teams trying to hold together a simple roster EVERY SINGE YEAR, isn’t an issue? Kids wanting large chunks of money, BEFORE THEY EVER COME, isn’t an issue? The rivalries destroyed, isn’t an issue? USC @Rutgers, in a conference game, isn’t an issue? I think you’ve lost your mind my man. College football is in complete turmoil.
College football is at an all time high in popularity and earnings. And I never once said it wasn't affected. I insinuated that transfer portal and NIL have helped resolve some glaring issues going on with college football of the past. I feel its been positively affected and the interest in college football is proof of that. I laugh at your idea that teams are trying to hold together a simple roster every single year. Very few programs are having mass player exits that aren't driven by coaches. Rhule has had to nudge players out both years after going to the transfer portal to initiate changes. He still has to get rid of another 10 players because he over recruited through scholarships and transfers. He is choosing to upgrade his roster and the new transfer rules help. Tell me a single Nebraska player left chasing NIL. In fact tell me more than a handful of players that you know across NCAA football that are chasing NIL? Most are chasing playing time and most of those their coaches are fine seeing them leave.

As for the rest of this? So what if they want large chunks of money before they ever come. Just don't give it to them. It's obvious they aren't interested in you. I do free estimates for my business. If I turn someone down 4 times to bid a job out of my area and they still keep calling me and asking me to "at least come look at it", then I'm going to charge for my efforts. If they are saying they want up front money than they are telling you, they aren't signing with you. There are very few reports of recruits being successful asking for "show up" money.

Rivalries being lost? No Rivalries being created. I could care less about any old rivalries we have ever had. They are gone. Rutgers has an additional 3 hour flight time for one game this year. College football is in turmoil due to that? Nobody yelled when we went to Ireland to play a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtf

As for the rest of this? So what if they want large chunks of money before they ever come. Just don't give it to them. It's obvious they aren't interested in you. I do free estimates for my business. If I turn someone down 4 times to bid a job out of my area and they still keep calling me and asking me to "at least come look at it", then I'm going to charge for my efforts. If they are saying they want up front money than they are telling you, they aren't signing with you. There are very few reports of recruits being successful asking for "show up" money.

Rivalries being lost? No Rivalries being created. I could care less about any old rivalries we have ever had. They are gone. Rutgers has an additional 3 hour flight time for one game this year. College football is in turmoil due to that? Nobody yelled when we went to Ireland to play a game.
I did lots of (not nice) yelling during the game in Ireland, for what that's worth...

MakeItStop.gif

Yeah, let water find its level. Right now they’re asking donors to bankroll a football team. That’s not going to work forever. Imagine the New York Giants asking their fans to pay the players. The NFL would be done in a month. You e won me over.

This isn’t NIL, or anything resembling it. This is straight up, pay for play. Just say so. Stop this bull crap NIL nonsense. It’s not. While there are some (few) players with legit NIL, because of their success, the majority are wanting to know how much before they ever get there. Now, call me whatever, but how in the hell, can anyone know how much any NIL will be until, said company wants to hire them? Ridiculous. What is mostly happening is, a collective from fans and alumni. it’s straight up pay for play. I haven’t seen one, OU or OSU player on TV, doing commercials in OKC, or Tulsa. It’s 90% pay for play. NIL? That’s laughable :Lol:.

You defeated your own argument.

You called it pay-for-play and then also said that players are demanding to know their earning potential before even arriving to campus.

That's not pay-for-play. That's someone profiting off their potential.

Pay-for-play would be a bounty system.

You defeated your own argument.

You called it pay-for-play and then also said that players are demanding to know their earning potential before even arriving to campus.

That's not pay-for-play. That's someone profiting off their potential.

Pay-for-play would be a bounty system.
Disagree. The collective, is a collection of money from you, me, and any dog who wants to contribute, most of which, DON’T OWN BUSINESSES. Someone else decides who gets what. That’s, ‘give me some money, or I’m not coming’. Nothing to do with NIL.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back