• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can we please stop calling it NIL?

Any university is doing these kids a disservice if they don't immediately have them fill out tax forms and go over all the tax rules. I'm sure it happens but at schools like Nebraska, I'm not that worried

Here is another twist to the story.

Since the Universities are not directly involved in the NIL deal itself, how involved are they in the assistance and education of the athletes who get deals?

I would think a school like Nebraska would sit the player down and explain the ramifications of that kind of income, but they have no requirement there.

can't wait for the irs to start looking to collect for these 17 year old kids that aren't even filing taxes.
Not trying to bust your balls but saying 17 year olds aren’t filing taxes does not represent the average 20 year old being issued 1099s and monitored by collectives.

Maybe, but largely, it’s not NIL.
You don’t seem to understand nil. You think they need to do something to earn it. It’s about capitalizing on their name, image and likeness. If someone wants to pay them for it…..that’s all that needs to happen. You seem to make up your own theories.

In the end…..it’s the people paying for the individuals image that determine the value. Not someone on a keyboard whining.

I'm really interested to see where it all goes.

We've had some back and forth about what that will look like, but I think the biggest issue is what governing body will create then enforce the rules? I think most of us assume the NCAA is a dead horse that just doesn't have the good sense to keel over and will not be the answer. Who then? Conferences? They'd have to have some kind of binding agreement between them or you're going to have the SEC looking to out pay everyone else. I damned sure don't want the government involved in it. It's screwed up enough as it is.

Should be an interesting next few years.
An entity could create varying Pete Rose laws that go beyond just gambling. If caught, you work with the NFL and ban some butts.

I will get crucified for saying this but NIL will be better off if not regulated. Let free enterprise handle it like it has the last few years. Do you really trust the government or the ncaa to correct it?

It’s still coaching and not Jimmy’s and Joes. Yes they make a difference. Texas A&M has thrown tons of money into it and ended up with nothing in last couple of years. Texas has had a prolific of high profile “entitled” players over 15 years and only last year had any success. Even their high dollar “manning” is likely to leave.

The market will stabilize if the government or NCAA doesn’t screw it up

You don’t seem to understand nil. You think they need to do something to earn it. It’s about capitalizing on their name, image and likeness. If someone wants to pay them for it…..that’s all that needs to happen. You seem to make up your own theories.

In the end…..it’s the people paying for the individuals image that determine the value. Not someone on a keyboard whining.
And you seem to think it’s all legit. It’s not. A fraction are doing anything at all. Checks are being cut from a fund of a collection from fans, and alumni, most of which, don’t own business. Caitlin Clark and Caleb Williams, are legit NIL. Many more around are as well, on a smaller scale. It’s a fraction of players getting money just for coming. I’m aware of digital, image, all of it. We won’t agree. But then again, you like it that college football has been torn apart from its soul, for money.

I will get crucified for saying this but NIL will be better off if not regulated. Let free enterprise handle it like it has the last few years. Do you really trust the government or the ncaa to correct it?

Crucified? Jesus you may not be, but announcing the government will screw it up is prophetic. And also enough to have you eliminated…. By some regimes. The truth shall get you canceled!!

And you seem to think it’s all legit. It’s not. A fraction are doing anything at all. Checks are being cut from a fund of a collection from fans, and alumni, most of which, don’t own business. Caitlin Clark and Caleb Williams, are legit NIL. Many more around are as well, on a smaller scale. It’s a fraction of players getting money just for coming. I’m aware of digital, image, all of it. We won’t agree. But then again, you like it that college football has been torn apart from its soul, for money.
Quite truthfully you are clueless. These coalitions make their money by signing deals that bring players and businesses together. They are ACTIVELY selling NIL to businesses for use of NIL. Believing that fans contributions are just providing unearned “free” money is such Neolithic thinking.

Do you really believe collations offer free money to athletes without a business plan to use their image as a way to fund the commitments. Geesh

Here is another twist to the story.

Since the Universities are not directly involved in the NIL deal itself, how involved are they in the assistance and education of the athletes who get deals?

I would think a school like Nebraska would sit the player down and explain the ramifications of that kind of income, but they have no requirement there.

I'm sure they have advisors and lawyers helping with contracts and then going through the tax implications. And I'd hope they have a day where the athletes that have income come to the facility with their tax documents and do their taxes.

If we only played the best of the best, we end up with maybe six teams.
So we pay everybody something, NIL, and privately bigger stars set their own deals outside of it.

Quite truthfully you are clueless. These coalitions make their money by signing deals that bring players and businesses together. They are ACTIVELY selling NIL to businesses for use of NIL. Believing that fans contributions are just providing unearned “free” money is such Neolithic thinking.

Do you really believe collations offer free money to athletes without a business plan to use their image as a way to fund the commitments. Geesh
Damn right they do. They are paying to win. Get your head out of the sand man. C’mon, you’re better than this.

It’s still coaching and not Jimmy’s and Joes. Yes they make a difference. Texas A&M has thrown tons of money into it and ended up with nothing in last couple of years. Texas has had a prolific of high profile “entitled” players over 15 years and only last year had any success. Even their high dollar “manning” is likely to leave.

The market will stabilize if the government or NCAA doesn’t screw it up
I keep thinking the market will stabilize, but we are seeing more and more people willing to drop money on NIL because they have more money than they know what to do with. Look at what just happened at Arkansas basketball. Tyson decides to give Calipari $5M fund to use for NIL. At some point you'd think these rich people would get tired of watching their money go to waste, but that hasn't been the case yet.

I keep thinking the market will stabilize, but we are seeing more and more people willing to drop money on NIL because they have more money than they know what to do with. Look at what just happened at Arkansas basketball. Tyson decides to give Calipari $5M fund to use for NIL. At some point you'd think these rich people would get tired of watching their money go to waste, but that hasn't been the case yet.
Often the children of the creators and real builders of business like to think they too are building something.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back