• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Can we please stop calling it NIL?

Relax. 90% of their advertisements are local and social media. We see a lot more billboards, local restaurant advertisements and local service advertising in Lincoln than you will in Oklahoma. It’s literally impossible for you to say it’s not happening and calling it flat out lies when you aren’t in Lincoln seeing it.
I don’t need to be in Lincoln. It’s everywhere. Lincoln isn’t different than anywhere else. Again, so 10 or so players are doing adds in Lincoln. Ok, I’ll give you that, but what are the other 500 athletes in the program doing? NOTHING, but they are still getting money. Pay for play. If you want to go further, NIL, truly, applies to very very few. It’s pay for play, a collective collected from fans and alumni. That’s NOT NIL. Why don’t you just own it man? trying to spin this any other way, is straight up nonsense. Just own it.

Relax. 90% of their advertisements are local and social media. We see a lot more billboards, local restaurant advertisements and local service advertising in Lincoln than you will in Oklahoma. It’s literally impossible for you to say it’s not happening and calling it flat out lies when you aren’t in Lincoln seeing it.

I don’t need to be in Lincoln. It’s everywhere. Lincoln isn’t different than anywhere else. Again, so 10 or so players are doing adds in Lincoln. Ok, I’ll give you that, but what are the other 500 athletes in the program doing? NOTHING, but they are still getting money. Pay for play. If you want to go further, NIL, truly, applies to very very few. It’s pay for play, a collective collected from fans and alumni. That’s NOT NIL. Why don’t you just own it man? trying to spin this any other way, is straight up nonsense. Just own it.
It's a combination of the two. Yes, there are a number of players who receive a good chunk of money and don't really have to do anything for it besides play. That said, I think there are a lot more advertising NIL deals going on than most of us realize. Whether it be sponsored posts on social media or local ads, there are a number of players signing deals with places outside of their collective.

I personally know a pair of D1 women's basketball players who have done really well in NIL. They aren't anywhere near Caitlin Clark territory, but they still have signed multiple NIL deals with local/regional businesses.

I'm not wild about the distributions from boosters thru the Collectives, but that is far from the only money these athletes are getting (even the non-star players).

You obviously don’t understand how the collectives work. Yes there are fan donations. But they also work as the brokers for the marketing deals that players undergo. Many of them digital. So you are a third string offensive lineman making 12k a year. You still have face book, til tok, twitter and instragram friends and followers. You ever wonder why you get so many ads on these social media sites. If a players NIL is involved it drives more eyes and ads. All those deals go to offset the money the collective promises to players. They don’t just simply pay to play without their name and digital footprint being used.

So how about this. Since advertising dollars is all about “clicks”. How much more valuable did Nebraska football sites such as Huskermax, Husker online, the journal star, Omaha world herald and such garner from all the traffic Dylan generated the last few weeks of his recruitment. And he wasn’t even getting paid. Imagine what happens if Issick Gifford announces he usually spends Sundays at Highlands golf course or Tominaga posts on twitter he usually eats at Misty’s after home basketball games or Lexi Rodriquez does a til tok video from the rooftop at Barry’s. Yea these things are happening and businesses are paying good money to have it happen.

Last edited:

You act like this hasn't been going on long before NIL came around. Pay for play has been around for as long as college athletics has been around.
I do agree with you that this is not what was intended for NIL and they need to do something about it.

You act like this hasn't been going on long before NIL came around. Pay for play has been around for as long as college athletics has been around.
I do agree with you that this is not what was intended for NIL and they need to do something about it.
Cheaters were getting money. See oklahoma and Alabama. They’ve been on probation more than most for cheating. Yes, I’m aware it’s gone on for decades, but nothing like this. This isn’t NIL.

This isn’t NIL, or anything resembling it. This is straight up, pay for play. Just say so. Stop this bull crap NIL nonsense. It’s not. While there are some (few) players with legit NIL, because of their success, the majority are wanting to know how much before they ever get there. Now, call me whatever, but how in the hell, can anyone know how much any NIL will be until, said company wants to hire them? Ridiculous. What is mostly happening is, a collective from fans and alumni. it’s straight up pay for play. I haven’t seen one, OU or OSU player on TV, doing commercials in OKC, or Tulsa. It’s 90% pay for play. NIL? That’s laughable :Lol:.
More like a bribe by my thinking.

Cheaters were getting money. See oklahoma and Alabama. They’ve been on probation more than most for cheating. Yes, I’m aware it’s gone on for decades, but nothing like this. This isn’t NIL.

It wasn't just the cheaters, it was EVERYONE. Even the programs that "follow the rules" had boosters giving players stuff. In the 90s, almost every good Duke or UNC bball player had a car lease from Michael Jordan's car dealership in Durham, cosigned by a booster from one of those schools. I'm sure that happened at every major football and basketball program.

My problem with what's happening now is a lack of any regulations or oversight has led to this. I am 100% in favor of a college athlete using their fame to make as much money as possible. But this was never intended to entice players to commit or transfer to a school. Chalk another one up to the incompetence of the NCAA.

I'm really interested to see where it all goes.

We've had some back and forth about what that will look like, but I think the biggest issue is what governing body will create then enforce the rules? I think most of us assume the NCAA is a dead horse that just doesn't have the good sense to keel over and will not be the answer. Who then? Conferences? They'd have to have some kind of binding agreement between them or you're going to have the SEC looking to out pay everyone else. I damned sure don't want the government involved in it. It's screwed up enough as it is.

Should be an interesting next few years.

I'm really interested to see where it all goes.

We've had some back and forth about what that will look like, but I think the biggest issue is what governing body will create then enforce the rules? I think most of us assume the NCAA is a dead horse that just doesn't have the good sense to keel over and will not be the answer. Who then? Conferences? They'd have to have some kind of binding agreement between them or you're going to have the SEC looking to out pay everyone else. I damned sure don't want the government involved in it. It's screwed up enough as it is.

Should be an interesting next few years.

can't wait for the irs to start looking to collect for these 17 year old kids that aren't even filing taxes.

can't wait for the irs to start looking to collect for these 17 year old kids that aren't even filing taxes.

I'm sure there are some kids getting NIL dollars that aren't managing the money well at all or filing taxes. I do hope if they're getting it through the collectives that there is at least a cursory conversation and document walk through that gives the player a base to start from. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess. We know not all of them will do the right thing anyway as evidenced by the number of NFL players who don't.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back