• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BTN Training Camp 2023" (8/4/23) Update: Will Be Shown (8/5/23)

On the wrs, I think the lack of returning starters. There are a lot of dudes in the line up. Most are unproven
When Washington was thrown to he did well. When Betts was into the game, not in the dog house, he did well for as Young as he was. Same for Castaneda.
Add in Kemp, it seems better than he let on.
The you have the Young guys adding some.
Not sure who he saw, not sure what was shown, but I think by the end of the year we should he pretty good, that's as our run game gets keyed on and we're forced to throw after that and it gels.
I see us running out the gate first, then adjusting/getting better passing. And creatively

When Washington was thrown to he did well.
I hear hes wearing a,cast
When Betts was into the game, not in the dog house, he did well for as Young as he was.
he ahowed promise in the limited time he got, two years ago
Same for Castaneda.
our 1st touchdown last season, then 3 weeks later, he was gone
Add in Kemp, it seems better than he let on.
it seems. I think he was productive at Virginia
The you have the Young guys adding some.
yep, lots of unproven dudes on the roater, as i said
Not sure who he saw, not sure what was shown,
im not convinced he saw/could recognize much
but I think by the end of the year we should he pretty good, that's as our run game gets keyed on and we're forced to throw after that and it gels.
I see us running out the gate first, then adjusting/getting better passing. And creatively
Yeo

I hear hes wearing a,cast

he ahowed promise in the limited time he got, two years ago

our 1st touchdown last season, then 3 weeks later, he was gone

it seems. I think he was productive at Virginia

yep, lots of unproven dudes on the roater, as i said

im not convinced he saw/could recognize much

Yeo
Kemp number two all time at VA I believe.
Total and complete mismanagement by SF staff. Each year the last two had one guy, not used as a go to guy, but over the top guy.
Doghouses two of the better wrs.
I can't go by their production under SF, just their ceilings, and they show promise.
The last consistency we had at we was Stan and company. Other than wide open deep of course, but that was surprisingly by design pulling the safety away last year.

Last edited:
Now that I've watched it... I'm impressed. For one thing, I've watched their practice reports for several years now, and in the past, they would say some positive things, but in retrospect those comments were more along the lines of the "all-bus team" stuff we heard from other coaches.

But now I hear:

- Unity of purpose

- No one standing around; multiple stations with everyone working and getting reps (and HCMR acknowledging the influence of TO on this). *{I'm also reading between the lines to assume that MR's time as a walk-on at PSU impressed on him the value of EVERYONE being included in drills -- based on his comment "powerless corrupts", i.e. you never feel more powerless than when you're sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else run drills, while you don't have the opportunity to improve}

- Impressed with lines (O and D). Says O line is as deep as it's been in years (with credit to FHCSF for recruiting to that).

- Impressed with power running game, as well as our stable of backs. Say this will be our bread and butter while passing game develops.

- Impressed with Sims. Especially as running threat. Say his passing game needs work, but that will come with practice.

- Receiving corps not a strong point (this is one of the negatives of the day).

- Coaching of "4 minute drill"; emphasis on FINISHING, effort, perseverance. Compared the "12 close games in last two years" and said staff is emphasizing the work ethic, conditioning, etc. to get over that hump.
How about these comments.

Simms has the highest turnover rate of any returning P5 QB
- “passing game needs work”
- looks like a big tailback playing QB

Couple that with the fact that Satterfield has never had an offense average of over 150 yards rushing per game and we are going to have to prove it on the field before anyone should stick their neck out.

Couple that with the fact that Satterfield has never had an offense average of over 150 yards rushing per game and we are going to have to prove it on the field before anyone should stick their neck out.
Yeah, I forgot about that turnover stat (probably the PTSD from the last 6 years erased it from my memory). That's the one thing that absolutely scared me about the report.

Thanks for peeing in my Kool-aid. :Bananalazy:

Totally agree with the wait-and-see approach. But I've seen enough to at least get me excited about the season.

150 would have put us 7th last year. We finished 10 last year with our Yolo O

On the wrs, I think the lack of returning starters. There are a lot of dudes in the line up. Most are unproven
And quite truthfully this position group has underperformed over the last 7 years or so other than Palmer. We have always entered the year unproven so I understand his concerns. Saying we have more depth now is a stretch. Even as early as last year we had more proven wide receivers

Said Never averaged 150 so it’s not like we would be 7th at 150. His average probably put us below that 10th level.
His average would be close. Losing your top two running backs and having Rattler changes your philosophy.
So he used Jaheim Bell, second in rushing. Playing the hand you're dealt, looking good doing it isn't a bad look.
Beating the teams they did with no real rbs, whens the last time we did that?

Ends we are in much better shape, and depth as in playable as for tackles, the same
I don't pretend to understand the 3 3 5 at this point but from the spring game it looked like our front 3 in the 3 3 5 were two interior OL to the strong side and one rush end with the outside two LBs being more like a DE. Thus we were playing Buckley and Hutch together a lot or Brodie with one of the others. So I don't really see this being a solution for the low number of DTs we have. Besides that, at least one of our "starting" LBs may not see much playing time. It seems like the 8 returning starters is really misleading because.... who exactly were the starters last year. A team technically only has 11 starters. Unless the BTN is taking liberties and putting people in who might have started a game or two due to injury. IMO we are missing Mathis on the DL, Clements (who should have been starting all year) at LB, both our starting safeties, and Nelson. That is 5. So IMO we return what you could call 6 starters. One of the returning starters that BTN might be counting is Gifford who it sounds like will be playing Safety which he did not play last year.

Not that I think any of this makes a difference as I think our D will be good. But I just want to point out that I don't put any stock on what the BTN says especially when they do not do thier homework.

Yeah, I forgot about that turnover stat (probably the PTSD from the last 6 years erased it from my memory). That's the one thing that absolutely scared me about the report.

Thanks for peeing in my Kool-aid. :Bananalazy:

Totally agree with the wait-and-see approach. But I've seen enough to at least get me excited about the season.
I absolutely refuse to ever get excited about a season based on what is said by players, coaches or the media. That also includes koolaid servers on social media. I’ve gone on record as predicting 8 wins this year. Not expecting or holding MR accountable for getting to 8 but believing they will based on the talent we have, the schedule, and the low hanging fruit improvements that I believe come with the new coaching staff.

I guess I just feel more comfortable with my own eyes, thoughts and analysis over paid media.

It's interesting to hear his perspective, with the background knowledge of how he might misappropriate the talent on a team.

(I'll leave it at that)
He can have all the background knowledge, he never once had forward knowledge to ever be a winning coach, comparable to Lee Corso and other hacks who get paid to talk.

We can get into a discussion about how the Xs and Os may or may not work, but all I'm saying is I could give a **** about what that dude says.

I'll leave it at that.

DiNardo is often wrong, but his comments are an important reminder that, even if Rhule is the coach to bring us back to great football, it almost certainly won't happen immediately. The team will likely not be anything close to a finished product when they take the field against Minnesota. Put the Kool-Aid away and accept that we will likely still be a work in progress this season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back