• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked [BREAKING] Nebraska-Wisconsin to play for the FREEDOM TROPHY

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've been saying for years that Wisconsin should be the Battle of the Big Reds, and a recent Tom Shatel article also echoed that idea - having the winner of the game get the "right" to wear the Home Reds in next year's game. Can you imagine the Badgers waltzing into Memorial Stadium wearing red jerseys and forcing the Huskers to wear white? Talk about adding gas to a fire. That's one way to instantly add some crazy amount of hatred to an already heated rivalry.

that would be epic. such a great idea DTH. it would really get under my skin to see the rip-offs wearing red. i know that's the point, but they are the rip-offs, not us. i mean we would be legitimately talking about fan fights in the stands, particularly when we are in Madison and the cheese have their drink on. total chaos. i love it!

My original idea involved a Big Red Tractor instead of a trophy. The teams could inscribe the game scores up and down the hood and the winner gets to drive the thing home.

1330705805_e66153b9fafc.jpg

Seriously, how badass would it be to see Randy Gregory spinning donuts on the UW field after crushing their hopes?!

Last edited:
It is a Ford. I think the LOOSER has to drive it.

My original idea involved a Big Red Tractor instead of a trophy. The teams could inscribe the game scores up and down the hood and the winner gets to drive the thing home.

1330705805_e66153b9fafc.jpg

Seriously, how badass would it be to see Randy Gregory spinning donuts on the UW field after crushing their hopes?!

hey, remember when trophy games and rivalries sprang organically from the experience of teams playing over and over again? or fan bases and students pulling pranks on one another? or some weird bit of lore and apocryphal stories?

I'm sure I'll watch with more intensity because of the patronizingly patriotic piece of pine and bronze. Basically when conferences and universities do this sort of thing now I basically think they're trying to "Red, White and Blue" wash a ton of corruption, greed and abuse in the system. Our military men and women deserve our respect and thanks, not to be trotted out so a bunch of over paid boys in suits can draft good will off of someone else's sacrifice. How about these research universities do what they're supposed to be good at and bolster research into PTSD, train and support staff to integrate those folks leaving military service as they enter higher education, or, better yet, put some money into hiring a few veterans.... in case someone wondered what I really thought (nobody?... no?.. )

Orrrrrrrrr I'll watch intensely, exchanging texts with the Wisconsin friends with whom I watched the embarrassing CCG a couple of years back. What a fiasco. I walked home in the cold without a coat and certainly without any pride. But I'm sure I'll keep count of the number of freedom trophies won.

"The Freedom Trophy, designed and sculpted by Harry Weber of Wright City, Missouri"

Being form Missouri, I hope Harry Weber is a Nebraska fan? At least he would have one thing going for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back