• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big 10 Recruiting Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio State gets dudes from all over the country. Yes, they have more in state talent, but they are recruiting all over the country. They win. They have a coach who embraces it. Yes, it's challenging, but it has been done before and can be done again. Plenty of kids will travel. Nebraska needs to start winning, which I think they'll do.
4 of OSU 4 stars come from Ohio. The last time the state of Nebraska produced 3 4 stars was...maybe never. From 2013-2017 the state of Ohio has produced 79 4 and 5 star recruits. Over the same time the state of NE produced...2. That is a significant difference. Now many of he 3* players from NE would be 4 stars if they played elsewhere. However that does not move your recruiting numbers.

It's all about the culture and player development. Look at all the low ranked local kids Osborne developed over the years. Osborne did not need top recruiting classes to win big. Frost experienced what Osborne did at NU and knows what works here. The biggest positive with Frost is that he brought his whole staff with him. These guys have worked together for years and are all on the same page. They are a well oiled machine that will produce results.

4 of OSU 4 stars come from Ohio. The last time the state of Nebraska produced 3 4 stars was...maybe never. From 2013-2017 the state of Ohio has produced 79 4 and 5 star recruits. Over the same time the state of NE produced...2. That is a significant difference. Now many of he 3* players from NE would be 4 stars if they played elsewhere. However that does not move your recruiting numbers.
I’m pretty sure it’s more than two. I don’t know if they where all consensus four stars but I remember more than 2 in recent years.

It's all about the culture and player development. Look at all the low ranked local kids Osborne developed over the years. Osborne did not need top recruiting classes to win big. Frost experienced what Osborne did at NU and knows what works here. The biggest positive with Frost is that he brought his whole staff with him. These guys have worked together for years and are all on the same page. They are a well oiled machine that will produce results.
While all that is true, times are significantly different now compared with the Osborne era.

1. The cost of tuition has escalated dramatically. Unless families are fairly wealthy, kids will take scholarships at other institutions.

2. Kids want to play ASAP. They will take the path of least resistance.

There are many players who are at SD State, ND State, Wyoming, Ohio U, etc. who are playing in those programs because of the above reasons.

I like the walk on program concept and hope there are kids who benefit from it. It is just a different time.

While all that is true, times are significantly different now compared with the Osborne era.

1. The cost of tuition has escalated dramatically. Unless families are fairly wealthy, kids will take scholarships at other institutions.

2. Kids want to play ASAP. They will take the path of least resistance.

There are many players who are at SD State, ND State, Wyoming, Ohio U, etc. who are playing in those programs because of the above reasons.

I like the walk on program concept and hope there are kids who benefit from it. It is just a different time.
It seems that at least in the short term Frost is convincing those kids to stay home. Hopefully that trend continues.

The latter here is spot on. It's possible, not impossible, but definitely not probable.

One caveat I would insert here is that the right "fit" guys, including Nebraska kids, will never be as highly rated. The high ceiling guys and overlooked rough diamonds in the midwest that don't go to the Rivals and UA Camps wont get a 4th *. Frost has stated what he wants to do pretty clearly, and that basic philosophy is at odds with this notion that NU could (or should) be trying to "win February". Not impossible, very possible, not probable. No mistake, these guys are going after really good players, many who will be higly rated, but they aren't gonna waste a lot of time chasing shiny objects, IMO.

I know I'm probably an anomaly these days, but if Nebraska is TOO highly ranked, I'd argue the staff probably isn't doing it right. As long as we are in the top 20ish annually and getting enough difference-makers along with our system players...I'm glad to let astronomers elsewhere do their thing.

I’ve been saying this for years. NU just needs to live in that 15-20 area with the occasional outlier. If we do this and Frost identifies his system players like you say things will be just fine.

Well at least you have a source:thumbsup:. I really thought Banderas, Niles Paul, Baker S., and Trevor Robinson where all four stars but I must be remembering it wrong. I missed the last five years part my fault.
They were all before 2013 recruiting class except Banderas who was class of 13 recruit. So they may have been just not the last 5 years.

Ohio State gets dudes from all over the country. Yes, they have more in state talent, but they are recruiting all over the country. They win. They have a coach who embraces it. Yes, it's challenging, but it has been done before and can be done again. Plenty of kids will travel. Nebraska needs to start winning, which I think they'll do.
If Scott Frost only recruited nationally then maybe NU could finished with a top 10 class. Frost would also get roasted for ignoring Nebraska kids if he did that. Nebraska kids are mostly going to pull down the class rating. I don't think NU needs perennial top 10 classes. Top 20 with the eye for evaluation that they've shown at UCF should be good enough.

I know it doesn't help with the recruiting rankings...but Ole Miss transfer Breon Dixon is enough for me to know that if he counted NU would be in front of them with the addition of Andre Hunt.

What about them getting Shea Patterson? Former five-star QB...

If Scott Frost only recruited nationally then maybe NU could finished with a top 10 class. Frost would also get roasted for ignoring Nebraska kids if he did that. Nebraska kids are mostly going to pull down the class rating. I don't think NU needs perennial top 10 classes. Top 20 with the eye for evaluation that they've shown at UCF should be good enough.
At best, there are 3-4 kids most years worthy of a scholarship good enough to play for the Cornhuskers. That leaves 20+ to go National. When NU starts winning, I fully expect that recruiting rating to head north. Hopefully, it starts in the 2019 class.

They also had 15 four stars in their state this year according to Rivals... Nebraska had 1, Iowa 1, Kansas 1, Colorado 2, Missouri 7. So they had more four and five stars in their state than we did in all of our border states combined. There's a big difference between choosing to go national even tho you have plenty of local talent like Ohio State because you are getting traction with recruits, or having to go national to get highly rated recruits like Nebraska does.

Last edited:
Its a bit circular, but win and you get better recruits and get better recruits and you have a better chance of winning. I still point to Wisconsin as proof that recruiting rankings are not always predictive of success. Or put another way, you can win a whole lot of games without ranking in the top 20 on signing day.

At best, there are 3-4 kids most years worthy of a scholarship good enough to play for the Cornhuskers. That leaves 20+ to go National. When NU starts winning, I fully expect that recruiting rating to head north. Hopefully, it starts in the 2019 class.
Some years that leaves 20+ other years it might only leave 15 or 16. You still have the 500 mile radius to consider for a couple of commits where, once again, kids are underrated. You're asking the staff to pluck all four and five star athletes for their remaining 12 or so recruits. That's a tall damn order on any year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back