• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Big 10 Recruiting Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

It will they're going to push the hell out of the scholarship guys for playing Tim and positions on the depth chart.
tim.gif
... can't argue with that.

OSU 4-5 stars =23.
PSU 4-5 stars =15
Michigan 4-5 stars = 7
Rest of conference 4-5 stars = 21.

*Based on 247 Team rankings. at 4:40 CST.

I'd say we tied for 3rd in February.

I wouldn’t. NU should be. It’s been mismanaged for years and years and got many of the fans thinking, ugh, we can’t rectuit here. Just needs serious people willing to do a serious job. Embracement of the job. That’s been missing.

It's not impossible but it's geographically very challenging. If you take local kids, like Frost appears to be set on doing, they don't typically generate enough recruiting interest to score the class high enough to be top 10. Doesn't mean we can't get there once in awhile or hover around 10-20 on a regular basis but consistently delivering top 10 classes would be unbelievably impressive.

It's not impossible but it's geographically very challenging. If you take local kids, like Frost appears to be set on doing, they don't typically generate enough recruiting interest to score the class high enough to be top 10. Doesn't mean we can't get there once in awhile or hover around 10-20 on a regular basis but consistently delivering top 10 classes would be unbelievably impressive.
Ohio State gets dudes from all over the country. Yes, they have more in state talent, but they are recruiting all over the country. They win. They have a coach who embraces it. Yes, it's challenging, but it has been done before and can be done again. Plenty of kids will travel. Nebraska needs to start winning, which I think they'll do.

3rd or 4th in the conference (along with the other three blueblood programs) and 1st in the division is right where we need to be for recruiting. It was a great job by the new staff to get us there. If we recruit at this level with a staff that can actually develop players and knows how to game-plan, I think we will all be very pleased with the results.

OSU and PSU even are at the next level recruiting wise. If Frost can get us consistent top 15 classes we will be competing nationally year in and out. A few years of that and top 5-7 classes are possible.

What a great job by this staff. I voted/guessed we'd be in the low 30's at the end for a class rank.

The latter here is spot on. It's possible, not impossible, but definitely not probable.

One caveat I would insert here is that the right "fit" guys, including Nebraska kids, will never be as highly rated. The high ceiling guys and overlooked rough diamonds in the midwest that don't go to the Rivals and UA Camps wont get a 4th *. Frost has stated what he wants to do pretty clearly, and that basic philosophy is at odds with this notion that NU could (or should) be trying to "win February". Not impossible, very possible, not probable. No mistake, these guys are going after really good players, many who will be higly rated, but they aren't gonna waste a lot of time chasing shiny objects, IMO.

I know I'm probably an anomaly these days, but if Nebraska is TOO highly ranked, I'd argue the staff probably isn't doing it right. As long as we are in the top 20ish annually and getting enough difference-makers along with our system players...I'm glad to let astronomers elsewhere do their thing.

The latter here is spot on. It's possible, not impossible, but definitely not probable.

One caveat I would insert here is that the right "fit" guys, including Nebraska kids, will never be as highly rated. The high ceiling guys and overlooked rough diamonds in the midwest that don't go to the Rivals and UA Camps wont get a 4th *. Frost has stated what he wants to do pretty clearly, and that basic philosophy is at odds with this notion that NU could (or should) be trying to "win February". Not impossible, very possible, not probable. No mistake, these guys are going after really good players, many who will be higly rated, but they aren't gonna waste a lot of time chasing shiny objects, IMO.

I know I'm probably an anomaly these days, but if Nebraska is TOO highly ranked, I'd argue the staff probably isn't doing it right. As long as we are in the top 20ish annually and getting enough difference-makers along with our system players...I'm glad to let astronomers elsewhere do their thing.
Agree 100%. The key will be to get the difference makers, regardless of how many stars they have.

Shatel's article echoes some of my sentiments.

There’s a generation of Husker fans who aren’t sure what to make of that. The “Four-Star” culture has been engrained here in the Heartland for the last 15 years.

Bill Callahan made it about recruiting. Then Bo Pelini downplayed it but didn’t do the developmental stuff. Mike Riley brought back the recruiting ideal, complete with a Calibraska marketing campaign and an assistant coach who was idolized for his recruiting prowess.

Nebraska became about the flash, not the substance. About numbers and resumes and potential, athleticism tossed into the arena, whether it made sense or not.

That flawed formula put even more pressure on the recruiting to pan out. If the talent isn’t going to be developed, they better be able to sprout wings and fly to the end zone.

Consider that pressure gone.

Here was Frost, saying “I’m not here to win in February, I’m here to win in the fall.”

http://www.starherald.com/sports/bi...cle_78b411b7-aa3f-5b9f-b721-f8308fd5b69d.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back