• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Awful play calling

Satterfield has no clue how to coach with what he has. Michigan threw 8 times today. Eight!!! 21 pass plays and 4 went to the other team. This falls on Rhule. He is the CEO. I´m gonna say for the trillionth time - 2 TE or six OLs AND FB. RUN THE D%%M BALL!!!

YES! I couldn't believe people bought into that and tried to convince me that returning a bunch of starting O-linemen who have been horrible their entire NU career was a good thing.
Benhart has made some improvements, but according to close sources he attributes it to over an hour a day playing Dance Dance Revolution, to help his footwork :thumbsup:

That might be true but it's just not the point we are making. Do you think we had any good RBs this year? I don't think any have a 100 yard game. I think we have several good ones. But the OC does not put them in a position to perform.
Again, while the cupboard is not exactly bare, it IS rather thin. Add injuries to the equation and I just don’t know how you expect this team to be put in any kind of position to perform beyond their limitations. Especially without a capable qb…

Again, while the cupboard is not exactly bare, it IS rather thin. Add injuries to the equation and I just don’t know how you expect this team to be put in any kind of position to perform beyond their limitations. Especially without a capable qb…
So you believe that our offensive woes are talent? I think it is a factor. So how do you explain the turnovers? Do these guys not know how to hold a football. How about the head scratch playcalls? Is that because of talent?

I'm sure Satterfield wishes he'd called a run, too, but I doubt it would have been a TD based on the defense.

I don't think its too much to ask for a QB to understand that on that down and distance, you only throw it if you're SURE its a completion. Otherwise, throw it away. I don't think you should have to call plays around a QB with judgement that poor.

Purdy almost became an instant folk legend with that drive. Instead, he added to the turnover statistic that just burns up excellent defensive performances to ash.

So you believe that our offensive woes are talent? I think it is a factor. So how do you explain the turnovers? Do these guys not know how to hold a football. How about the head scratch playcalls? Is that because of talent?
As much as I hate to criticize the fine young men that have decided to play for Nebraska, I have long held that our biggest issues are related to talent - especially at that most important of position, that being the qb. Think about it - how many turnovers did we have today? And how many of those were on the qb? It didn’t matter if it was the first, second or third string guy - none of them was able to secure the ball. Do you think that the coaches counted on them to fumble or make terrible throws? I doubt it, but that is just how our guys play the game, so at this point it doesn’t matter what plays they call or what position they put the players in, it just doesn’t matter. We can’t even run simple handoffs with any semblance of certainty. It’s my opinion to hold off on putting all the blame on bad coaching until we have some players that are able to actually play the game at this level…

Last edited:
As much as I hate to criticize the fine young men that have decided to play for Nebraska, I have long held that our biggest issues are related to talent - especially at that most important of position, that being the qb. Think about it - how many turnovers did we have today? And how many of those were on the qb? It didn’t matter if it was the first, second or third string guy - none of them was able to secure the ball. Do you think that the coaches counted on them to fumble or make terrible throws? I doubt it, but that is just how our guys play the game, so at this point it doesn’t matter what plays they call or what position they put the players in, it just doesn’t matter. We can’t even run simple handoffs with any semblance of certainty. It’s my opinion to hold off on putting all the blame on bad coaching until we have some players that are able to actually play the game at this level…
Look at what Illinois and NW are doing with backup QBs. The players are in the coach just as much as the development is.

Now you ask if the coaches count on them to fumble. I would counter this with... Why not. This was happening in the spring game and we still don't have it fixed.

Last edited:
I was giving Rhule the benefit of the doubt on the third down call at the 5. Then in the press conference he defended it. Asking a 3rd string QB to make a tough throw in a tight window is unreasonable (or at least begging for a turnover). Our QB hadn't even completed a pass before this game - so hoping for a tough completion is a complete mismanagement of risk versus reward.

I did not watch the game, but after reading this thread I am glad I didn't waste my time. Poor situational play calling usally leads to an incompetent loss. To score 10 points against an undisciplined Maryland defense is an epic fail.

I was giving Rhule the benefit of the doubt on the third down call at the 5. Then in the press conference he defended it. Asking a 3rd string QB to make a tough throw in a tight window is unreasonable (or at least begging for a turnover). Our QB hadn't even completed a pass before this game - so hoping for a tough completion is a complete mismanagement of risk versus reward.
very concerning imo

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back