• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Awful play calling

So our million dollar coach needs a QB that can hide his flaws?

No, that's not it. I think the "argument" is that Satterfeld and Rhule aren't running their offense, and if they had a QB to run that offense they'd be better coaches. It's absolutely true that the offense was retooled during the summer because of the "limitations" at WR and QB, and then it's evolved further into something neither Satterfeld or Rhule have experience with running.

A few weeks ago, Rhule said that the option part of the offense was "a lark" after the coaches watched some old Husker game film. After that, he asked Coach Osborne to come in to break down tape and teach the option offense to the current offensive coaches.

Satterfeld and Rhule want to run a pass-first West Coast Offense system. That's what they have been selling on the recruting trail the entire year. The only QB in the recruting class, Daniel Kaelin, absolutely 100% cannot run the current offense. He'd be awful at it, and he'd probably get injured doing it too. The #1 HS QB the Huskers want next year would also be awful at this offense.

IMO Rhule has really accidentally set himself up for failure by not going 100% "all in" with the WCO he's been recruiting for despite the fact the Huskers might only have one or two wins. I think he got himself into this pickle because he saw what Tony White and his players have done, and he didn't want to waste that effort, which is to Rhule's credit. Unfortunately, it's created a bigger long term problem.

Last edited:

No, that's not it. I think the "argument" is that Satterfeld and Rhule aren't running their offense, and if they had a QB to run that offense they'd be better coaches. It's absolutely true that the offense was retooled during the summer because of the "limitations" at WR and QB, and then it's evolved further into something neither Satterfeld or Rhule have experience with running.

A few weeks ago, Rhule said that the option part of the offense was "a lark" after the coaches watched some old Husker game film. After that, he asked Coach Osborne to come in to break down tape and teach the option offense to the current offensive coaches.

Satterfeld and Rhule want to run a pass-first West Coast Offense system. That's what they have been selling on the recruting trail the entire year. The only QB in the recruting class, Daniel Kaelin, absolutely 100% cannot run the current offense. He'd be awful at it, and he'd probably get injured doing it too.

IMO Rhule has really accidentally set himself up for failure by not going 100% "all in" with the WCO he's been recruiting for despite the fact the Huskers might only have one or two wins. I think he got himself into this pickle because he saw what Tony White and his players have done, and he didn't want to waste that effort, which is to Rhule's credit. Unfortunately, it's created a bigger long term problem.
Nice post.

But I thought we were being sold on a run heavy wear them out ground game?

Satterfeld and Rhule want to run a pass-first West Coast Offense system. That's what they have been selling on the recruting trail the entire year. The only QB in the recruting class, Daniel Kaelin, absolutely 100% cannot run the current offense. He'd be awful at it, and he'd probably get injured doing it too.

Rhule needs an OC that runs the offense he wants. I totally agree with your post and why I actually think Satt is let go. I could sense the frustration during the press conference today.

Yes there is. Trev does what the Nebraska Athletic Department has been doing for the past couple decades. You pay Satterfeld the remaining $2.8 million and tell him to go away.
Well you better explain that to a lotta folks around here because they are still blaming everything on the slowly (yes we’d all like quicker) improving oline and that coach…. Because he was here with the last staff

You guys talk like this is peewee football and that the qbs just need to be taught how to play the game. No matter how much coaching is done at this point, our qbs can NOT play this game at this level…
That might be true but it's just not the point we are making. Do you think we had any good RBs this year? I don't think any have a 100 yard game. I think we have several good ones. But the OC does not put them in a position to perform.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back