• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Attendance

Pretty sad that we are destroying a whole generation just to protect those who will be dead in 10 years anyway. Sorry not sorry but this isnt affecting young people. Look at the numbers. They have a better chance dying from a piano falling out of the sky.

Goal Line how closed minded can you possibly be? Wow man. It’s obvious that you’ve been retired for many years, because you’re so far out of touch with reality it’s not even funny. HOW DARE people want to send their kids to school, or get back to work to financially support their families. Just so you can feel safe and write your letters.

The only one being selfish here is you. Families are being destroyed by this (and im not talking deaths) and you’re selfish enough to be a social justice hero and go attend a meeting to try and keep things closed down? Hope you wear a mask, dont go within 6ft of someone (or is it 10ft now? The rules change every month.) and drive very carefully on your way down, so you dont put others in danger. Keep doing the Lords work man.
I think it is pretty selfish of you to say some lives are worth more than others.
However, I think we need to get as many people back to work ASAP as possible and just use some common courtesy.
I wish they'd get more stimulus, more loans, more help in whatever way to the people who are being devastated. I'd be willing to forego any stimulus money if it meant someone who truly needed it would get more. Maybe that stimulus being able to be put back into the local economy is more important. I don't know.

Unfortunately, most of us live well beyond our means (and what we truly need-me included) based on what I see and what I read.
I am not anymore closed minded than those conference officials who have made decisions to cancel their seasons. Or, the Omaha Public Schools that have made drastic changes in their school start approach and canceling fall sports. Or, the 160,000 grieving relatives of those who have already lost their lives.

What kind of a sadistic person makes a remark like this. "Pretty sad that we are destroying a whole generation just to protect those who will be dead in 10 years anyway." Just so you can watch a football game? Pretty damned sad and selfish way to look at life.

Last edited:

I spend six/sevenths of my week literally one foot from strangers faces. A day at the stadium with 50,000+ friends would be a nice reprieve and frankly, I would probably be safer.

I am not anymore closed minded than those conference officials who have made decisions to cancel their seasons. Or, the Omaha Public Schools that have made drastic changes in their school start approach and canceling fall sports. Or, the 160,000 grieving relatives of those who have already lost their lives.

What kind of a sadistic person makes a remark like this. "Pretty sad that we are destroying a whole generation just to protect those who will be dead in 10 years anyway." Just so you can watch a football game? Pretty damned sad and selfish way to look at life.
Its not just about “being able to watch a football game”

Lets put this in perspective in regards to accepting risk. 2.8% of all Americans in the workplace sustain an injury that requires significant medical care each year. And yet we don't close business's down because of it. Yes we put all kinds of safety precautions in place JUST to keep it at 2.8%. For some reason we have people who believe we should shut down the world to achieve zero risk on the most uncontrollable risk we face.

Actually, we've put all sorts of safety precautions in place to make the workplace environments many times safer than they were 50 or 100 years ago in this country when the injury and death rates in the workplace were much higher than in 2020.

Better sanitation practices, fire sprinklers, smoke alarms, emergency shutdown buttons, harnesses, extensive training for those who work in dangerous environments, organizations that perform checks to make certain the workplace is clean, safe, and healthy, and on and on.

The argument you give with Covid is that we should just let it run it's course.

I totally disagree. To be farther along we needed to NOT flatten the curve and let it run the course.

Why don't we just let workplace injuries run their course? Why have we wasted all of this time, money, resources, and training to actually make the workplace much safer than it was decades ago? Sure, we aren't at zero percent in regards to workplace injuries -- never will be. Though from my experience, a large percentage of those injuries were the result of poor choices and stupidity. Regardless, the concept is that this country has done many things over the decades to make our day at work safer -- with proven effectiveness. And yet you don't seem to feel we should take that same approach with Covid. Sure, we may not ever reach 0% -- but just as with increased safety measures in the workplace, you do everything you can to reduce the risk. If we took your same proposed approach with Covid and carried it over to the workplace, you'd be seeing injuries and fatalities at a far greater rate than you do now.

Oh -- and businesses have been closed down for failing to comply with health and safety regulations. And if you don't have many of those in place upon opening, you will never been allowed to open your business.

Last edited:
Actually, we've put all sorts of safety precautions in place to make the workplace environments many times safer than they were 50 or 100 years ago in this country when the injury and death rates in the workplace were much higher than in 2020.

Better sanitation practices, fire sprinklers, smoke alarms, emergency shutdown buttons, harnesses, extensive training for those who work in dangerous environments, organizations that perform checks to make certain the workplace is clean, safe, and healthy, and on and on.

The argument you give with Covid is that we should just let it run it's course.

Why don't we just let workplace injuries run their course? Why have we wasted all of this time, money, resources, and training to actually make the workplace much safer than it was decades ago? Sure, we aren't at zero percent in regards to workplace injuries -- never will be. Though from my experience, a large percentage of those injuries were the result of poor choices and stupidity. Regardless, the concept is that this country has done many things over the decades to make our day at work safer -- with proven effectiveness. And yet you don't seem to feel we should take that same approach with Covid. Sure, we may not ever reach 0% -- but just as with increased safety measures in the workplace, you do everything you can to reduce the risk. If we took your same proposed approach with Covid and carried it over to the workplace, you'd be seeing injuries and fatalities at a far greater rate than you do now.

Oh -- and businesses have been closed down for failing to comply with health and safety regulations. And if you don't have many of those in place upon opening, you will never been allowed to open your business.
My point that you missed was in regards to risk management. Injuries have dropped drastically in the workplace over the last 50 years and significant rules have been put in place along with enforcement and penalties to do so. These rules were practical and controllable. In spite of this we accept the risk even though.....depending on your age group....you are between 20 and 400 more times likely to need medical care from a work place injury rather than Coronavirus and yet we have people wanting a zero risk work and life environment. I'm asking people to put perspective in their measurement of the Coronavirus risk and the affects their efforts of trying to control the uncontrollable are having on the rest of our lives.

Last edited:
I think Ground is right that many people on this board really don't care much about people at risk or old people. His statement of it is simply grotesque. Others say it more subtly (Stay home. Don't go any where. We won't wear masks to stop infecting you because it is some god given right of ours to not do that). But by and large many on this board believe permitting them to go to a football game is more important that doing a modest thing like wearing a mask in public to protect others because only old people die from it.

Wow. Never thought I would see something like that on this board.

I think Ground is right that many people on this board really don't care much about people at risk or old people. His statement of it is simply grotesque. Others say it more subtly (Stay home. Don't go any where. We won't wear masks to stop infecting you because it is some god given right of ours to not do that). But by and large many on this board believe permitting them to go to a football game is more important that doing a modest thing like wearing a mask in public to protect others because only old people die from it.

The flip side of that is it seems some people don't care about those of us who are still out here working to support our families in spite of the risk, nor do these people care about the economic destruction these policies have caused.
Never thought I would see something like that on this board.

I don't think I've heard anyone say it like that, nor that old people don't matter.

What I have heard a lot of is that everyone else needs to do whatever they have to do to keep old people safe, regardless of the cost.

I've seen that kind of selfishness on this board for some time.

If you can read the other posts on here and still come away with "just so you can watch a football game" then you just aren't even trying to understand. The other costs of shutting things down have been talked about over and over again and all you can seem to come away with from that is "just so you can watch a football game".

Not having football season will cost people their jobs.

Not having a football season will cost others their businesses.

Not having a football season will hurt many financially that manage to still keep their business or job.

Not having a football season will cost some young people an opportunity they have worked their entire lives for.

Not having a football season will lead to some young people losing their way and going down the wrong path effecting the rest of their lives.

Not having a football season will mean another period of time without sports, one of the things that does bring people together during one of the most conflict filled times in our recent history.

Not having a football season will make it harder for many schools to provide opportunities to other young kids that aren't in revenue generating sports.

Not having a football season will cost tons of lost tax revenue used to improve the communities that benefit from football crowds, even if they are smaller ones.

Not having a football season will eliminate an activity that brings joy to people, families, and students.

I am sure there are many other reasons that I didn't think of while typing this out but the statement that this whole argument is "just so we can watch a football game" is ridiculous. It is one thing to disagree and say those other things are not worth the risk and I could at least respect that argument even if I didn't agree, but to say this is all "just so we can watch a football game" is pure ignorance.

Last edited:
I think there are people who believe all the players, coaches, administration, 90,000fans, stadium works, police and medic protection, restaurant workers, suppliers, manufacturers, transportation, food growers and other 100,000s of people will just let their economic lifes detoriate and stay home to quarantine themselves if football isn't played. I swear people have no perspective.

If you can read the other posts on here and still come away with "just so you can watch a football game" then you just aren't even trying to understand. The other costs of shutting things down have been talked about over and over again and all you can seem to come away with from that is "just so you can watch a football game".

Not having football season will cost people their jobs.

Not having a football season will cost others their businesses.

Not having a football season will hurt many financially that manage to still keep their business or job.

Not having a football season will cost some young people an opportunity they have worked their entire lives for.

Not having a football season will lead to some young people losing their way and going down the wrong path effecting the rest of their lives.

Not having a football season will mean another period of time without sports, one of the things that does bring people together during one of the most conflict filled times in our recent history.

Not having a football season will make it harder for many schools to provide opportunities to other young kids that aren't in revenue generating sports.

Not having a football season will cost tons of lost tax revenue used to improve the communities that benefit from football crowds, even if they are smaller ones.

Not having a football season will eliminate an activity that brings joy to people, families, and students.

I am sure there are many other reasons that I didn't think of while typing this out but the statement that this whole argument is "just so we can watch a football game" is ridiculous. It is one thing to disagree and say those other things are not worth the risk and I could at least respect that argument even if I didn't agree, but to say this is all "just so we can watch a football game" is pure ignorance.
I understand everything. Cost jobs or cost lives Is the real ignorance. I choose life. That is where the joy comes into play.

I understand everything. Cost jobs or cost lives Is the real ignorance. I choose life. That is where the joy comes into play.
Then let’s stop doing everything that costs lives.
Also, if you understand everything so well maybe you should stop saying things like “all so some of you can watch a football game”.

Last edited:

No, you choose YOUR life. There are many that don't have the luxury of staying in a bubble. Instead of complaining, maybe you should be thanking those people.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back