• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

asst coaches ?

I know recruiting is the end all, but really......why? The high end recruits he has brought in haven't shown any inclination to be high end football players. Or even mid-level for that matter.

What do you mean? He was hired last December and the only recruit he signed was consensus four-star CB Elijah Blades who never made it to campus. Had he been at Nebraska the entire recruiting cycle, I am fairly confident he signs Darnay Holmes and Thomas Graham, both of whom have looked great playing for UCLA and Oregon as true freshmen.

And this year in what would have been his first class - prior to it being obvious that Riley was going to be fired - he had three outstanding DBs committed (Bookie, Chase Williams - who probably signs with USC now, and Mario Goodrich). He most likely gets a commitment from four-star Christian Tutt (who just chose Auburn over Ohio State) and then finishes the class off with a four-star safety such as Aashari Crosswell, Bryan Addison or Dallas Craddeith. He was on his way to SERIOUS consideration for National Recruiter of the Year honors with the five kids he was going to bring in. Every staff needs a guy like him.

As for his coaching, you can't blame what you've seen out of the scheme on him. That's on Diaco. It's not his decision to have kids play 8-12 yards off. How they are playing is philosophically how Diaco wants them to play. Some kids (like Bookie) are much better fits in a bump and run scheme (think Alfonzo Dennard) than they are playing off (and vice versa). Maybe these kids would be better off in a different coverage scheme. After all, they were all recruited to a different defense. They way this year has gone, and how this has been a lame duck coaching staff since September, I'm not sure what you can get out of this team. I suspect some of the kids have been in a different place mentally. This is the 2nd coaching change some of these kids will have experienced and the youngsters who haven't came in to play for Riley. I dont know if they quit, I dont think so, but there heads haven't been in a lot of the games I've seen. Look at how the defense seemed to really start to gain some footing early, then once it was obvious these coaches were gone (coupled with some injuries) they imploded.

What do you mean? He was hired last December and the only recruit he signed was consensus four-star CB Elijah Blades who never made it to campus. Had he been at Nebraska the entire recruiting cycle, I am fairly confident he signs Darnay Holmes and Thomas Graham, both of whom have looked great playing for UCLA and Oregon as true freshmen.

And this year in what would have been his first class - prior to it being obvious that Riley was going to be fired - he had three outstanding DBs committed (Bookie, Chase Williams - who probably signs with USC now, and Mario Goodrich). He most likely gets a commitment from four-star Christian Tutt (who just chose Auburn over Ohio State) and then finishes the class off with a four-star safety such as Aashari Crosswell, Bryan Addison or Dallas Craddeith. He was on his way to SERIOUS consideration for National Recruiter of the Year honors with the five kids he was going to bring in. Every staff needs a guy like him.

As for his coaching, you can't blame what you've seen out of the scheme on him. That's on Diaco. It's not his decision to have kids play 8-12 yards off. How they are playing is philosophically how Diaco wants them to play. Some kids (like Bookie) are much better fits in a bump and run scheme (think Alfonzo Dennard) than they are playing off (and vice versa). Maybe these kids would be better off in a different coverage scheme. After all, they were all recruited to a different defense. They way this year has gone, and how this has been a lame duck coaching staff since September, I'm not sure what you can get out of this team. I suspect some of the kids have been in a different place mentally. This is the 2nd coaching change some of these kids will have experienced and the youngsters who haven't came in to play for Riley. I dont know if they quit, I dont think so, but there heads haven't been in a lot of the games I've seen. Look at how the defense seemed to really start to gain some footing early, then once it was obvious these coaches were gone (coupled with some injuries) they imploded.

So basically you are saying he can't coach the players unless it is his scheme? And to say "yes, but he would have gotten player X Y Z and A if only" is basically saying he didn't finish on that either. Getting one DB last year (academic casualty) is poor planning and poor results.

Today's results do not indicate a well coached defensive backfield. A segment of the team thought to be quite talented by the way.

So basically you are saying he can't coach the players unless it is his scheme? And to say "yes, but he would have gotten player X Y Z and A if only" is basically saying he didn't finish on that either. Getting one DB last year (academic casualty) is poor planning and poor results.

Today's results do not indicate a well coached defensive backfield. A segment of the team thought to be quite talented by the way.

I'm not sure how its his fault Nebraska only signed one DB last year. Did you see their board before he got to Lincoln? Blame Riley, I get that.

As for the coaching, again it might be easier to explain in person where I could show you different coverage philosophies and why a corner might play a certain coverage. Sometimes it's to protect against a specific route tree, sometimes it relies on the safeti es doing something to tag team. It depends greatly on what your defense is predicated to stopping or trying to accomplish. You don't lijke his coaching, okay, without having a huge back and forth I'll just say I respect your opinion. I just contend that there is more to consider than telling a kid to "go cover that guy."

I wouldn't be surprised if Donte Williams ends up at UCLA and Keith Williams ends up at Florida...

I'm not sure how its his fault Nebraska only signed one DB last year. Did you see their board before he got to Lincoln? Blame Riley, I get that.

As for the coaching, again it might be easier to explain in person where I could show you different coverage philosophies and why a corner might play a certain coverage. Sometimes it's to protect against a specific route tree, sometimes it relies on the safeti es doing something to tag team. It depends greatly on what your defense is predicated to stopping or trying to accomplish. You don't lijke his coaching, okay, without having a huge back and forth I'll just say I respect your opinion. I just contend that there is more to consider than telling a kid to "go cover that guy."

I understand that and thank you. However, what i'm saying is.....Diaco has been successful in the past....not sure how, but that is a fact. IF his scheme is capable of stopping people, why does it seem impossible for Williams to get the DBs in position to stop a pass? Or are you saying Diaco's D is a failure which simply sets up the DBs to fail?

Isn't a position coach supposed to get his players to execute their job in the overall scheme? Or maybe there is no buy in from the other coaches.

One of the TV stations, I think it was KOLN, had a picture of Cav living the North Stadium offices with a big box on his shoulder.

Somehow it gave me a warm feeling all over.....

Is that wrong? :)

I understand that and thank you. However, what i'm saying is.....Diaco has been successful in the past....not sure how, but that is a fact. IF his scheme is capable of stopping people, why does it seem impossible for Williams to get the DBs in position to stop a pass? Or are you saying Diaco's D is a failure which simply sets up the DBs to fail?

Isn't a position coach supposed to get his players to execute their job in the overall scheme? Or maybe there is no buy in from the other coaches.

Your premise is false, Diaco has not been successful in the past.

Other than his time at Notre Dame when his defenses were in the top 20, his defenses have been at or below 60th in the country in scoring defense as coordinator or head coach. I looked it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sold on the Diaco scheme defense is about lining up correctly and playing in the system. We did not have players in a position to succeed

Your premise is false, Diaco has not been successful in the past.

Other than his time at Notre Dame when his defenses were in the top 20, his defenses have been at or below 60th in the country in scoring defense as coordinator or head coach. I looked it up.

How is this not successful? I'm not saying he is the best DC of all time, but to say he hasn't been successful is simply ignoring the facts. Now none of that was apparent in his one year at NU.

How is this not successful? I'm not saying he is the best DC of all time, but to say he hasn't been successful is simply ignoring the facts. Now none of that was apparent in his one year at NU.

He did very well only when he was associated with Brian Kelly (Head Coach) both at Cincinnati and at Notre Dame. At U Conn and here at Nebraska when he ran defenses on his on they were miserable. I feel he is being unmasked as incompetent when he is away from that relationship.

watching OSU/Meechicken today... the Buckeyes coordinators are both former P5 HC's

DC Greg Schiano (Rutgers & the Buccaneers)
OC Kevin Wilson (Indiana)

that's quite the braintrust

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back