• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

asst coaches ?

That being said, Parrella pulled in some studs for 2017 class but it not impressed with his 2018 guys so may not be as important for the DL.

I also think Donte may already have something lined up.

Wouldn't surprise me. Donte is the sort of commodity that once coaches saw the writing on the wall with Riley, several probably started reaching out to be in line for his services once Riley was officially gone.

That makes sense but why aren’t DL recruits talking about how good of a coach he is after FNL or camps?
Well, it's more of a 7 on 7 camp. One of the camps, the only DL that showed up were Mapieu and Wildeman, who both committed so they could be coached by him. But guys like Culpepper never made it here for a FNL due to committing to Penn State early. That's why you hear about kids loving being coached by Keith or Donte Williams, or Bray, or Diaco, because there's 30 recruits of theirs there, and 2 already committed guys of Parrella's.

I think the situation in Lincoln has gotten so cloudy over the last three seasons that it’s really hard to know who is who anymore.

Is Parella a middling coach, or did the Diaco train totally throw him off the tracks this year?
Parrella losing two 3rd round draft picks and McMullen his first year yet the defense being better statistically is nothing short of amazing.

It's hard to really tell what we have with Parella and the D line. It's just so difficult to excel when the scheme puts you 3 vs 5 or 6 almost every play. It's also gotta be difficult to recruit lineman to play in that scheme, especially when there is a great chance the HC and DC, and potentially the entire staff, are gone after the season.

It's hard to really tell what we have with Parella and the D line. It's just so difficult to excel when the scheme puts you 3 vs 5 or 6 almost every play. It's also gotta be difficult to recruit lineman to play in that scheme, especially when there is a great chance the HC and DC, and potentially the entire staff, are gone after the season.
I was impressed with our DL last year, not so much this year, but I don't know what I can put on Parrella and what I can put on scheme. It's really difficult to just hold your guy up on runs, then notice pass and all of a sudden try to shed somebody you've just been hanging on to so they can't get to your LBs. I'm good whatever the new coach decides there.

Kind of a silly exercise to talk assistant coaches and how YOU feel they've achieved in Riley's system. It's got to be the new coaches decision - hasn't NU been down this road before with suggestions and holdovers?

Kind of a silly exercise to talk assistant coaches and how YOU feel they've achieved in Riley's system. It's got to be the new coaches decision - hasn't NU been down this road before with suggestions and holdovers?
It's a message board, 99% of it is a silly exercise. I don't think anyone is clamoring that they are right and the next head coach should listen to them.

If SF becomes the next coach i honestly have no problem with him completely cleaning house. the recruiting class had a lot of promise, but in the grand scheme of things i don't think keeping staff in an attempt to salvage this recruiting class is the be all end all.

If SF becomes the next coach i honestly have no problem with him completely cleaning house. the recruiting class had a lot of promise, but in the grand scheme of things i don't think keeping staff in an attempt to salvage this recruiting class is the be all end all.

Agree

Wouldn't surprise me. Donte is the sort of commodity that once coaches saw the writing on the wall with Riley, several probably started reaching out to be in line for his services once Riley was officially gone.

I know recruiting is the end all, but really......why? The high end recruits he has brought in haven't shown any inclination to be high end football players. Or even mid-level for that matter.

Greg Austin did well for us a player, did his GA work at Oregon O-Line with Frost, followed Kelly to Philly and wound up with Frost abt UCF. I think he should be well qualified for our O-Line coach.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back